Celebrity Constellation Cruise Review by lippyclan: Western Mediterranean

lippyclan
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Celebrity Constellation Europe - Western Mediterranean Cruises

Western Mediterranean

Sail Date: November 2010
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Barcelona

My husband and I were on the last sailing of the season to Western Mediterranean, but did not continue on for the transatlantic. We disembarked back in Barcelona. I have mobility issues so I will talk about that as well.

The Constellation was a beautiful ship, I don't know what it looked like before the renovations, but all we could see was beauty and glamour. Our stateroom was a handicap accessible room with a veranda. Everything was gorgeous, and the bathroom was quite large, which suited my needs perfectly. The shower was a roll-in with a seat. I rented a mobility scooter from CareVacations, and when the one at the hotel in Barcelona did not work properly, we called them up and they had a new one delivered directly to the ship. It was in our stateroom when we arrived. I was able to scoot around the ship although the dining room was tight, I had to leave it outside the room and walk to my chair.

Now to the dining. We were on a Celebrity cruise in 2000, before they More decided to institue "specialty dining". The food and the presentation back then was impeccable. We raved at the choices and the quality of the food. All the food back then was "special". Since they've decided that we should be paying extra for the "special food", the main dining room fare was exactly that...fair! We were disappointed in the food, although our dinner at the Tuscan Grille for $30.00/pp was wonderful. Apparently, they decided to sacrifice the main dining room in order to charge you for the good meals. Quite disappointing.

Another thing that upset me was the internet. They charged for your package which was no problem, except that you were paying per minute, and the speed of their internet was nothing other than slow. I wasted 10 minutes @ .61 cents per minute doing nothing but waiting.

Finally, we were disappointed in the photography. The best picture of my husband and myself was one where there were drinking glasses on a tray behind my head, so it looked as though they were coming out of my skull. We did not buy any pictures.

We did enjoy the cruise, we had a wonderful time, we met wonderful people. We were especially happy with our tours. We only booked one from the ship, the others were private tours with individual drivers. Romeinlimo.com was who we chose for Florence & Rome. We were utterly thrilled with them. We added two people to our tour, so they sent us a minivan which also fit my mobility scooter. We were taken to places that accommodated the scooter and I was able to see everything. Our drivers were knowledgeable and friendly. Memories were made because of them, and I would highly recommend them to anyone.

All in all, it was a great cruise, and we had a wonderful time. Less

Read more Celebrity Constellation cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Constellation Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Constellation 6109

We had the handicap accessible cabin with the veranda. We were hardly outside because we were on the excursions every day. We finally sat on the veranda the last sail day, and appreciated how beautiful everything was. The bathroom was quite spacious, and there was room in the cabin for my mobility scooter.

We were told that Barcelona could be dangerous if you're not careful. We had no problems in Barcelona, in fact, I thought it to be a beautiful city. The streets were clean, the food was great, we had tapas outside our hotel, Conde de Barcelona. We were picked up at the airport by Jan from Barcelona Day tours, and he drove us around the city. Our Hotel was beautiful and our room was clean and spacious.

Florence was wonderful. We were picked up in a luxury mini-van from www.romeinlimo.com, and Raffaele was our driver. He was so knowledgeable, and spoke English like an American, He knew the history and the background of all the buildings and explained everything to us so we could understand. The countryside was magnificent and the Accademia was amazing. I had no trouble getting in with my scooter, and there were ramps for me to use.

Genoa wasn't too exciting. All our plans went to the wayside. Originally, we were going to go to the aquarium, but I didn't have my scooter with me, and the walk to rent one was too far, so we took an hour's tour on a bus around the city. All the buildings blended and then we were dropped off near the cruise ship. For anyone else, it would have been a decent walk, but considering that I had mobility problems, it was an awful walk. It was raining, and we didn't have umbrellas with us. The walk back to the ship was horrible for me.

Read 127 Genoa Reviews

We chose the ship's excursion for this tour, and after being picked up at the ship, the tourbus took us to Positano and the Amalfi Coast. Naples was dirty, there was garbage strewn all over the place. I was glad when we left. Positano was absolutely charming, we loved the stores and got some good bargains at Carpiso, a leather store. We then got back in the bus and when through some pretty scary hairpin turns to get to Amalfi, which was also charming. The houses on the cliff sides were amazing. This also was a pretty good tour.

Read 646 Naples Reviews

Once again Rominlimo came through for us. They sent Vincenzo, who, although quite cynical, he was funny and made our day trip wonderful. He drove us around the countryside and took us to a little coffee shop right across the street from the Colosseum. We didn't feel the necessity to go into the Colosseum, we wanted to spend the time more at the Vatican. We were interested in the Jewish quarter and the Synagoga, which Vincenzo gladly took us to. Then we went to the Vatican, and Romeinlimo arranged Katerina to be our guide. She got us through without having to wait on any lines because I had my scooter, and we were able to see St. Peter's Basilica and the Sistine Chapel. This was thrilling. We will never forget this.

We had a private tour with Sylvie. Although the weather was rainy all day, she took us to the Grand Casino, as well as the palaces and the grave site of Prince Rainier & Princess Grace. We ate at a Pizza-Creperie restaurant which was wonderful.