Navigator of the Seas Cruise Review by dwolfe: Western Med and transatlantic

Western Med and transatlantic

Sail Date: October 2010
Destination: Transatlantic
Embarkation: Rome (Civitavecchia)

I am a 63 year old professional who traveled with her 12 year old granddaughter. GD's first cruise, my seventh, second TA. We spent four days before the cruise in Rome. We stayed at the Hotel Melia Antica which is actually in a suburb of Rome. The hotel shuttle bus took us into the Vatican City every day and picked us up. We had Roma passes which were wonderful-all the public transportation and entry into Museums and other attractions either free or half price. I would recommend the Roma pass.Transfer from the hotel was smooth and so was embarkation.

Cabin wasn't ready yet so we went to the Windjammer and found that it was too crowded--this was consistent through out the cruise, not enough spaces and too many people. Jade section was disappointing most of the time but when they hit it right they did an excellent job, just not consistent.

Our ocean view cabin was spacious and clean and our room steward was excellent. Lots of storage space and I really appreciated the More sliding doors on the shower as opposed to the curtains. The cabin was surprisingly quiet given we were down the corridor from the Dungeon bar. We had two days of high seas during the trip and the movement in the cabin was very minimal, a very smooth voyage.

We did not take any of the ship's excursions in any of the ports because most places had tourists in mind with hop-on/hop-off buses and excellent public transportation. We did not get off the ship in France because of the troubles.

My GD very much enjoyed the teen center and loved the counselor, Fabi from Brazil. There weren't that many children on board and the teen center kept her busy and happy. She made friends, played games, watched movies and was generally in teen heaven.

Initially I was concerned that the adult pool, the Solarium, did not have a cover but the weather cooperated and I was in the pool a lot. It was wonderfully warm, all the pools were. The hot tubs weren't that hot, though.

I was disappointed that the library was so meager (glad I had my Kindle), the slow internet connection, no passenger laundry (getting clothes clean was hideously expensive), the morning stretch class was excellent but too crowded and getting into the ice skating show was very poorly done.

The dining room (we had my time dining, the only way to go) food and service were on a par with every other cruise I've been on. Ordered room service a couple of times and they were prompt and always got our order correct and the menu wasn't extensive but was surely adequate.

I really enjoyed the cafe promenade for early morning coffee before the GD got up and loved the space in the very front of deck 5 on the helipad where you could watch the sea at all times and the stars at night. We also enjoyed the miniature golf and the movie theater. GD enjoyed the basket ball and volley ball,rock climbing wall and ice skating.

Went to the spa once and enjoyed the service but not the sales pitch. Appreciated the sauna and steam room, also.

This is a great ship if you are traveling with kids. Less

Read more Navigator of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Navigator of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Navigator of the Seas Oceanview Stateroom Deck 2 3564

Roomy, lots of storage space, quiet and easy to access the rest of the ship. Doesn't have a love seat, but does have an upholstered chair and a desk chair.

Another city easy to do independently. The hop on-hop off bus is great and we enjoyed the aquarium.

I am including Malaga. Both cities were easily accessible from the dock and walkable. They were clean and friendly and very enjoyable for independent travelers. We especially enjoyed the 2 Euro store (like the dollar stores in the States) for souvenirs for other grand kids.

Easy to do independently because of the excellent public transportation system. And it's Rome...just wonderful.

This is another city that is easy to do independently. The people are warm, wonderful and friendly. The city itself is clean and lovely, with pedestrian only areas that allowed you to enjoy the architecture and statuary, fountains, etc.

Read 209 Tenerife Reviews