Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by Jen Noble: Solo Brit

0 Post

Compare Prices on Norwegian Epic Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Solo Brit

Sail Date: October 2010

Never cruised before, never been on an organised holiday before so this was totally new for me...Usually organise advnturous expeditions for students worldwide so cruising turned out to be a little tame and claustrophobic for me!

Few Europeans on board compared to Americans and this as certainly reflected in the entertainment available. Excursions were pretty lame (although bear in mind my usual 'holiday'). Did not have a problem with finding a sun lounger - in fact I had most of the freestyle deck 19 to myself for the 2 weeks! Nagged the hospitality guy to put up a sign saying it was freestyle and adults only as a lot of people were quite shocked seeing topless/naked people sunbathing there! Did manage to crack my head on an iron bar on that deck (by the railing) - by the way if you have an accident you do not have to pay to see the doc - they do not advertise that!

Food was fine, French Bistro so muc better than rest (esp Cagneys - one of the worst meals I have More ever eaten!).

Ports on east caribbean - were we really in different places or just sailing round a large island calling into slightly different 'made up' ports, claiming to be St T, St T and Nassau (b the way in Nassau, forget the $15 taxi fare to the beach hotels - get the bus for $1.25 (very regular and stops outside).

West carib - bit more interesting, but still did not feel I had seen the real country.

Studio cabins were cute, one of the best beds I have ever slept in! Although I could not see out of a window I used to turn the tv on to 'view from the deck' to ' see the weather'! Plenty of room for me, although I am used to camping! tbh I would have been more than happy with a hammock strung up on deck 18 - perhaps NCL could introduce this??

Would I go again? not in a rush and not on my own, but nothing to do with NCL. I have noone else to compare them with but think I will stick to backpacking round NZ/Chile etc.

If you guys really like the Caribbean - you should seriously check out Cape Town and Dubai - much better - scenery, accomodation, food, shopping, service and value for money!! Less

Read more Norwegian Epic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Epic Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Epic 11268

11268 + 12567 Had to change after first week for some reason! Studio cabins: could do with a few more hooks on back of door, otherwise ideal. One of the best beds I have ever slept in. The studio corridor area is a bit 'trippy' - would not like to walk down it drunk!! lol Usually go camping so the studios were great! Could stand up!

Knew I would prefer western caribbean as I have been to S America a few times and Chile is the most amazing place in the world!

Excursion to a beach resort - driver (at 50mph) was reading and sending text messages!!!! with 50 people on board his coach! slightly alarming...

Resort was...a beach (fair amount of seaweed in sea), free drinks. Gift shop and fast food available.

Back at the really fake port - this one seemed to be built from scratch!! at least here though most/some? of the items for sale were at least made in Mexico (unlike east caribbean!). Lots of silver shops - some of the carvings were amazing. Swimming pool, bar and restaurant available in the port area so no need to go to beach resort! Some went diving and really enjoyed it!

Went on an excursion - snorkelling (via catamaran) and beach resort. One hour catamaran journey to snorkel site, got to see various fish, sea turtles (lovely) and lobsters. Very clear water. Lots of people, so bit of a scramble. As we snorkled from the boat and not the beach - you have to be prepared to step off or jump ff the boat intot he water. This seemed to put a lot of as about 10 stayed on board. Got a bit chilly as weather turned. Went to beach resort for free lunch - nothing special. Rained so no swimming or sunning. Was hoping to be bussed back to port but had to get back on boat for hour journey! music (well..ymca etc) on boat and free drinks and dancing. Can't remember the shops!! lol
Read 3090 Cozumel Reviews

Did not get off in Miami as I had 6 days there at the end of my back to back cruise. However, I did visit 'Bayside' where the cruisers are taken (fleeced of their money). Again a very 'fake' set up in terms of same old gifts etc to buy. Everglades tour was supposed to be good.

Read 161 Miami Reviews

Really disappointed here! Was expecting a tropical paradise..and it was not. Took a $15 taxi to one of the beach resorts, couple in taxi with me intended to pay for a hotel day pass. I walked in, straight to the pool. Pretty overcast day so no sunbathing to be done. Got a $1.25 bus from outside straight back to taxi rank! come about every 7 mins.

shops were much more varied but still very 'touristy'. large supermarket in town. lovely hot nuts in the market area.

Read 2615 Nassau Reviews

Honduras was definitely the best. Went on an excurstion - snorkel and kayak and hike. The guides were good fun. Snorkelling was ok, nothing special. On the 'hike' (stroll up a hill) we were told about the various plants and trees and they made it fun. Went very slowly so no worries for those not used to walking up hill. Had a lovely, tasty free lunch. Very friendly parrot! Shops back at fake port were ok- cheap pringles!

Read 1644 Roatan Reviews

Lots of the Americans loved this island. Personally it felt like shopping for diamonds in downtown Nairobi! Lots of rubbish on the streets, filthy river. Shops were OK, nothing special. McDonalds (so wifi available). Good deals on cameras. Cross said river to large supermarket to get nibbles (as not really available on ship, also coke for those who don't like pepsi).

Went on an excursion to Cas Bay (don't bother).

Shops here were SO fake - shame they do not seem to spread some of the money about to the rest of the island.

Read 2322 St. Thomas Reviews