Crown Princess Cruise Review by sparkles1388: Crown Princess

1 Post

Compare Prices on Crown Princess Western Caribbean Cruises

Crown Princess

Sail Date: November 2010

This was our first sailing with Princess; our first cruise was RCI. I enjoyed the trip and the total escape a cruise gives you. While I enjoyed the overall experience, I have a mixed review.

The ship was great. I liked the layout better than the mega ships of RCI. The Crown is a large ship and does take some time to get your bearings, but I felt small in ways - not crowded. I liked that there were various nooks and multiple entertainment venues. It meat you didn't have the majority of the ship ion the same place at the same time. There was plenty of seating near the pools and multiple pools to use. The movies under the stars at the one pool was nice - movies (and sporting events even) day and night.

Rooms were standard cruise ship rooms. We splurged on a balcony. With the number of balconies on this ship, the cost was not that much more per person for the balcony. The extra space was nice especially if one person rises early or goes to bed late, it gave a place to More go and read while the other one slept. Only problem was the hairdryer is terrible. Bring your own if you need one.

I purchased the weekly pass for the spa's thermal suite. Absolutely loved it! Never crowded, but avoid it during the boot camp class in the fitness center. It becomes noisy and hard to relax. A bonus as a spa customer, you can use the showers in the spa which are much larger than the ones is the stateroom.

We ate in the dinning room 3 times during our trip - 2 formal nights, one casual. Part of the problem is we opted for the early seating (6:00) which does not allow much time to get ready for dinner after a day in port when you don't return until 5:00 and we like to watch the ship leave port. Food in the formal dinning room was good, but not spectacular. I had expected something a little more special from the dinning room. The soups were ALWAYS wonderful and this is from a salad person. Do yourself a favor, skip the salads (unremarkable) and go for the soups. Main entrees and deserts were hit and miss. Wait staff also tried to sell us others things every night we were there. A little obnoxious.

Buffet meals were more what I expected out of a buffet and often mimicked the main dinning room meals, but not exactly. Food was good and it gave you the option to try different things in one setting. It also gave you the option of getting something different if you didn't like what you had the first time. (One night I tried 3 different deserts before I found something I liked) The only drawback to the buffets was they had long lines and were crowded during the dinner hour. There are three buffet locations - 2 in Horizon and 1 in Caribe. Every time we went there, only one of these options were ever open at a time and you had to check each place to find out which one was open. Pizza is great and became a late night ritual. Sabatinis is great - worth every penny. Just go VERY hungry and don't eat the bread - it will fill you up.

Also think one area they can improved on is the entertainment. Comedians were not that great - material was not fresh, heard the jokes before. Stage productions were all musical numbers with older music and did not appeal to my age group (40s) or probably anyone younger. I can see my parents enjoying these shows. They need to add shows that appeal to a broader audience if they want to attract younger cruisers.

Overall, I enjoyed myself, as did my husband. Would just like to see improvements in the lines and entertainment options if I sail with Princess again. Less

Read more Crown Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Crown Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Crown Princess Oceanview Double with Balcony Emerald c325

quiet location between two sets of elevators, near laundry, room only floor, spacious balcony

In Cozumel, we took the ship excursion to Tulum to see the ruins. It was a long day but was worth the trip. Keep in mind to get to the ruins, you must first ferry to the mainland (30 mins) and then take a bus to the ruins (45-50 mins). Travel does take a good part of the day but you have plenty of time for the ruins if that is the only thing in your excursion. I would not recommend taking an excursion that combines Tulum with anything else.

On the way to the ruins we stopped at a rest area/"souvenir shop". Good place to get snacks, beverages, and souvenirs because the people in Playa del Carmen and the Tulum village were vary aggressive. My husband was offered to buy drugs 3 times in Playa del Carmen.

Grabbed lunch to go at Senor Frosty's before boarding the bus back. Very fast service and good Mexican food. Had a little time to shop in Playa delCarmen before returning on the ferry, but it was not enjoyable because sales people too pushy. Ended up not buying anything.

Important note: Our ferry returned us to the ship a half hour late. Since there were around 500 people on the ferry and it was arranged through the ship, the ship waited. I believe if we did this trip one our own and were late, I don't think they would have waited. Just something to think about when planning excursions.

Read 3087 Cozumel Reviews

We did the Sting Ray swim and Island tour booked through the ship. The tour was very nice and ended with swimming with the sting rays which was the highlight. The rest of the tour was average and the bus drivers kept referring to what USED TO be there before the hurricane and how Americans bought the property and how much the properties now cost. I really did not care for this commentary. I wanted to hear more about the island and the culture. I really enjoyed the turtle farm and trip to sting rays

The sting rays were the highlight of the trip. Just remember to bring an waterproof camera (they will take pics but very expensive) and take something for motion sickness if you are prone to it. I almost didn't make it. Someone else on our boat didn't make it. The guides were great and I wish I had there names. There was a elderly lady on the trip with us (guessing 80s) who had problems getting in and out of the boat. The guides were great with her assisting where needed - I later heard her comment that it was great and she would love to do it again.

This stop was the surprise of the trip. I was really not expecting anything here and did not like the ship's excursions and thought the description of Mahogany Bay sounded like a private island experience and didn't excite me either. I booked a tour through Victor Bodden tour which basically gave me a private tour of where ever I wanted to go. Best decision! We interacted with Monkeys and iguanas. Saw a private hotel resort and beach, went to the West end for lunch and fed the left overs to the fish. We made several stops around the island for photos and went to the cameo castle.

Would recommend this method of visiting the island. Our guide spoke fluent english, gave us info on the island, made recommendations, drove us around safely, and returned us at the time we requested. Great experience.

Important note about Roatan - I would not recommend renting a car and driving yourself. Roads are narrow and winding. Traffic signs are rare and other drivers are dangerous.

Read 1642 Roatan Reviews