Emerald Princess Cruise Review by Alabama traveler: Good but always room for improvement

Alabama traveler
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Emerald Princess Southern Caribbean Cruises

Good but always room for improvement

Sail Date: October 2010
Destination: Southern Caribbean

Embarkation: Was well done, even better than Carnival that we had sailed on in May of this year. The process was made very easy by checking in according to your cabin level.

The ship: Very attractive on the inside. The colors were bright and appealing not dark like the Carnival Freedom. I was very surprised to see that the outside of the ship had rust showing in several places and places on the hull that looked like they were painted over with out sanding the rough spots. Carnival clearly does a better job at keeping the ship snow white and attractive on the outside. This was proven when we docked between the Carnival Freedom and another Carnival ship in the Virgin Islands.

Dining: We were spoiled by Carnival early in the year. Princess started out slow but came on strong and I thought the food and the selection was good especially through out the latter part of the cruise. Two negatives were the lack luster service on refills unless green coated supervisors were More around and the need to allow people to get their own refills if they wish to. On several occasions I attempted to get my own refills while the unsupervised servants stood around like zombies. The ice machines were almost always out of ice.

Entertainment: What we saw was good although we are not hard to please in this area. The cruise director Marahscalh , a alabama traveler himself , kept every one informed and entertained to the best of his ability which I thought was done with class and professionalism.

Cabin: Our cabin was satisfactory. You give some and you take some and Princess gave more closet space with less bathroom space than Carnival Freedom. The shower was so small that at six feet tall I almost had to shower half of my body at a time. To bend over and wash my feet or legs while in the shower I had to stick the upper part of my body out of the shower which caused my face to almost go into the toilet bowl. The balcony was larger than the last cruise ship but the seats did not recline which was a real disappointment for me since I spend a lot of time on the balcony.

Room service: Our room servant missed changing the sheets and towels on one day and did not bring fruit but brought double on a later day. We understand that these people are very busy and are human and can forget , so no problem.

Service: The lack of posting one's account on the TV screens was a big negative because you have to go all the way to the customer service counter for account information and my information was not correct or updated on more than on occasion when the public print out monitor and the customer service monitor are only feet away from each other.

Ports of call: The Ports of call were the highlights of this cruise. The itinerary was well planned and laid out and none of the stops were disappointments to us.

Over all the cruise was relaxing and affordable. We enjoyed it and appreciate the effort of Princess and staff. Less

Read more Emerald Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Emerald Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Emerald Princess Oceanview Double with Balcony Baja A-223

Cabin: Cabins were satisfactory: You give some and you take some and Princess gave extra closet space while taking bathroom and shower space. The shower was so small that at six feet tall I almost had to shower half of my body at a time. To bend over and wash my feet and legs while in the shower I had to stick the upper part of my body out of the shower which caused my face to almost go into the toliet bowl. The balcony was larger than our last cruise ship but the chairs did not reclin which was a real disappointment for me since I spend a lot of time on the balcony.

(5.5)
This was my second visit to Aruba and one of my favorites. I love Aruba's $1.30 to $2.60 round trip public transportation system. We simply went to the bus station and road up the hotel coast and to Santa Cruz with the local citizens.

Read 683 Aruba Reviews

We were surprised and pleased with this stop because it was always our opinion that Bonaire had very little scenery and nothing of interest to tour. Our estimation was wrong and we enjoyed this stop as much as the others.

Read 238 Bonaire Reviews

The best of natural beauty and the sight of the high mountains as we sailed into port was awesome. We took the Trafalger Falls tour and I explored the extra distance to the bottom of the falls.

Read 491 Dominica Reviews

(5.5)
We were not bothered by any pan handlers and even saw a citizen call a policeman's attention to what he considered bothersome beggar. We took a very informative tour and was satisfied with the price and service.

Read 357 Grenada Reviews

Great shopping and the sight seeing tours were interesting. A city tour took us to all the elevated look out points which made the expensive tram rail unnecessary.