Rotterdam Cruise Review by fayruz: Excellence means never have to say I'm sorry...

fayruz
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Rotterdam Hawaii Cruises

Excellence means never have to say I'm sorry...

Sail Date: September 2010
Destination: Hawaii
Embarkation: San Diego

First thing, the ship : it has been remodeled, ok, but why put planks to lay on in a tre inch pool? Specially when passengers - most of them - are so old they cannot climb in and out of such pool.

The tv sets are so old there is no colour left : everything is black and red, the remote batteries need to be checked and changed.

Air conditioning : it works full blast or not at all, we preferred the not at all mode.

Plumbing : on longer cruises it always happens around half trip, on this cruise it happened at the end so it may be considered as positive.

Bathtubs: normal sized but passengers on this cruise were normally very overweight and over age, how can you shower in these conditions? Is this the reason the hot tubs were always full (and I avoided them)?

Activities : boring lectures, bridge lessons, computer lessons that should have been held in the (small) theater and not in a 15 seat room. Crafts? making things my three year old niece More does or getting together with other passengers and exchange opinions doing your own craft (like in retirement homes).

Itinerary : some stops were badly managed. Fanning Island we were encouraged not to get off the ship because it was "dirty": not at all, it has a nice small beach and clean (I did not analyze it) water. Papeete : since we stayed the night, could have included a dance show in the excursions. All together, the itinerary looked like we were in low season and most of the islands were deserted or closed down. Only Honolulu and Lahaina were very good and lively.

The food : I am italian, I am a gourmet and excellent cook. The maitre (Sodramin) on the ship should take some cooking lessons. Quite a lot. Will not cruise on this ship again, will not cruise HAL again since "excellence" is very far away from what we experienced.

embarkation - disembarkation : I suggest making different paths for those getting in and those getting out, one small lane was used by both having to barge your way in or out.

Tenders : sore spot, mostly because passengers could barely walk or were very overweight. Should have made special tendering service for those who had walking problems helping them on and off instead of leaving the problem to those who were already in the tender.

Entertainment: really? was there entertainment on board? Never had the chance to get in the theater, the "wailcats" singing on deck had no idea of what the volume button is. The only pleasant moments were those with the guitar man, wherever he was singing.

Little added pleasures : stinks of various kind around the ship and a continuous wail (while sailing) in cabins on main deck. Less

Read more Rotterdam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Rotterdam Review >>

Cabin review: Rotterdam Large Oceanview Stateroom Lower Promenade 2606

2606 : great location, close to laundry (which I used only once to freshen up husbands shirts). Badly working dvd player and tv. A continuous wail during navigation (you get used to it after the first week) Stains on the sofa, we asked for a clean sheet to place over it since it had a grubby appearance.