Zuiderdam Cruise Review by chefed

Member Name: chefed
Cruise Date: October 2010
Destination: Panama Canal & Central America
Cabin Category: G
See More About: Zuiderdam Cruise Reviews | Panama Canal & Central America Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Zuiderdam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Zuiderdam Deck Plans
Not Bad
Embarkation was good ,Cabin was available about 1 hour after getting on, bags were delivered about 2 hours after getting on, which I have found average for all lines.

Food services were available right away. The food was served instead of self service at the Lido because of health department regulations. In fact it was like this the first 48 hours. But there in lies a problem. After the first 48 hours you are supposed to serve yourself. Someone ought to tell service staff this as I was reprimanded for not helping myself to Sushi, or ice tea. Next day they served it again it was confusing. Food was good and plentiful. Chinese station and Pasta station were very good . In fact Pasta station was better then Pasta served in their Italian Restaurant. I prefer buffet over sit down dinner as I can taste a little of everything. Believe me it is no easy task to feed 10,000 to 11000 people a day as I was a retired Ex. Chef for 40 years. In particular when your staff speaks little English. I had a personal tour of the kitchens with the Chef and it was 3 times cleaner then most US restaurant kitchens.

The rooms were very clean and well stocked with premium bath and shower products and bathrobes.The beds were the best I ever had on any cruise line I have ever been on. Plenty of storage and closet space, even place to store luggage under bed.

Ship overall spotless but showing it's age a lot of seat cushions in public rooms need repair. The shows were good but not as Glitzy as other cruise lines. The ports were nice and interesting. Aruba and Curacao , and The Canal itself were the best.

I learned a long time ago not to take cruise lines shore tours as when I get off I negotiate my own tours with the locals, who are at every port of call. This is about 40 to 50 % less expensive. The cruise director was good. The pool areas were very nice but there was at least 2 whirlpools that were always broken.In fact in one of them I could have had a Lobster and Clam boil. All in all the cruise was good, a bit more expensive then some other lines. My opinion is if all the lines offer cruises to same place take the least expensive, because they are almost all the same except for the age of passengers and age of ships.

Publication Date: 11/03/10
Read the Panama Canal & Central America ports review by chefed
More Zuiderdam Cruise Reviews

Read the previous Zuiderdam review Read the next Zuiderdam review

More Panama Canal & Central America Reviews
Star-Trek Decor, But Great Service...
Great Carnival cruise