“Fantastic cruise on Freedom of the Seas!”
Cruise review of Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas

Tyler80 Freedom of the Seas 5 Fantastic cruise on Freedom of the Seas!
Tyler80
Member Since 2005
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
Background:

I'm 30 and my wife is 25, we each have cruised 3 times before. We got married onboard Liberty of the Seas in 2008 and enjoy cruising alot. We have only sailed on Royal Caribbean ships.

We spent the night before the cruise at the Hyatt Regency inside the Orlando Airport. I would highly recommend this hotel, it's convenient if you're flying into MCO and there are several restaurants at the Airport and if you'll be utilizing the transfers to and from the port than this is a no-brainer for a great pre-cruise stay.

The Ship:

Having cruise with Royal Caribbean a few times, I already knew what to expect. The ship was clean, organized and looked as if it was brand new. I knew it wasn't but Royal Caribbean does a great job at keeping their fleet looking great. Of course the staff onboard is what makes your vacation incredible! All we saw were smiling facing and people willing to bend over backwards to help us out.

Our Stateroom:

Our room was 7493 interior, on deck 7. The 3 cruises I've taken prior to this cruise I've always stayed on deck 6 because I feel that it is very centrally located to most of the dining and pool areas. We were happy with deck 7, it was very quiet and a nice walk from the elevator areas. My wife and I were determined not to gain a lot of weight on this vacation, so we never took the elevator, we choose the stairs and did alot of walking around the pool deck.

Food:

While this is always subjective no matter who is reporting, we have always felt the food onboard any Royal Caribbean ship was always more than we could have ever asked for. We do enjoy good food and what is provided for us onboard is perfectly good enough. We ate lunch in the Windjammer Cafe three times, it was always good and the selection is wonderful. When the main dining room was open for breakfast we choose to eat there, and it was always good as well. We did have 2 lunches in the main dining room and like the dinner meals we had there it was great! We ate once in Portofino's and once in Chops Grille. Both were excellent and well worth the extra costs ($20/pp - $25pp). I will say, that since the menu has changed at Portofinos, I liked Chops better. We have eaten at Portofino's before on other ships.

Entertainment:

The shows onboard Freedom of the Seas were some of the best we have ever seen. Once upon a time and Now you see it - the magic of Drew Thomas were both great shows. The ice show, Freedom-Ice.com was great as well. The broadway review "Marquee" was excellent! This type of entertainment is what we like about cruising, have everything within walking distance, not having to drive anywhere, always great!

All in all, our cruise onboard Freedom of the Seas was great, and we cannot wait to get back onboard!! If you're thinking of sailing this ship, I would highly recommend it!

Freedom of the Seas Cruises to the Western Caribbean
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: Interior Stateroom

Port
This port was somewhat the same as Ocho Rios. It was certainly cleaner, however everyone must either take a taxi to the downtown shopping area (which is 3 miles from the cruise terminal) or take an island tour. The shopping was not that good, most of the local Mexicans beg you to come into their stores offering "almost free" deals. How many oriental rugs or diamond necklaces can one person buy? We won't be back!

Read 4,598 Cozumel Reviews
This port was excellent, clean and well organized. We were not begged for money, or to take a tour. There are plenty of shops up near the cruise ship area (no dock, ships must tender) and most of the ships are name brands that I recognized. Can't wait to go back to Grand Cayman!

Port
This was the worst port we've ever been to. There is nothing for tourists to do in the town unless you want to take an island tour. We wondered for 15 minutes and became annoyed w/ the begging for tours people. So we finally paid $40 for a rainforest tour. Neither my wife or I were very impressed. The town was small and dirty.

Published 11/03/10
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Freedom of the Seas Review
Freedom of the Seas Cruises to the Western Caribbean
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?