Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by Andy Fitch

Spa & Fitness 5+
        3-6 5.0

I Didn't Know It Was Blue
Pros;

Beautiful ship. Easy to navigate. Spotlessly clean. Great pools which were heated properly.

Food was really good in the main dining room where the service staff were exemplary.

Park Cafe was fabulous for a lunchtime salad and coffee.

The cruise director Richard Spacey was excellent. The entertainment was first class. I saw Hairspray, Come Fly With Me, the headliner Scott Record, comedians Joe Yanetty and Craig Carmean, a jazz quartet that played nightly. They have got the entertainment spot on.

The ship was NEVER crowded except in the buffet. The Solarium is the most beautiful public deck area I have seen on a ship.

Oasis of the Seas is truly magnificent and will leave you speechless. You cannot fail to have a good time. We went to Cabbage Beach and Atlantic whilst in at Nassau, we did Philipsberg in St Maarten and Magens Bay at St Thomas....it was idyllic.

Cons;

The number of passengers carried magnified the number of rude and thoughtless people you had to share your vacation with. From pushing in at the elevator to stealing your table at lunch, they are all there. You will experience people who live in their own selfish bubble who you will want to beat to death with the potato salad spoon.

We dined at Chops Grill and had to wait 40 minutes for our entree without apology or free drink or anything. Then when I stiffed the guy on an additional tip (yes he already had an automatic gratuity) he was rude to us in the Park Cafe next day, throwing the salad tongues aggressively back into the display and slamming our salad bowl on the counter. I wrote him up in the guest survey.

You will experience some very helpful and nice staff but you will also encounter cabin stewards who, when blocking the corridor partially with a trolley, will expect you to wait whilst they come through....yeah right. I am polite and I don't abuse people but hang on, I paid and you are the staff so step aside. You don't get that on Princess...ever. I have experienced happier staff I must say.

When we got off at Port Everglades, the transfer to our day room hotel before our overnight flight was a disaster. We were off the ship with seamless efficiency and our baggage was in a neat little square numbered on the hanger floor so we got it in seconds without hassle. When we cleared customs, there was nobody there to identify themselves to us. We had to ask and ask until we found out that a young girl was the rep for Americas Transportation.com and that she would be sorting out our bus. We were told to go to the other end of the building and wait by the rest rooms where there was a strong smell of sewage. We waited with others for over 90 minutes. She was totally clueless and I think would struggle to flip burgers in McDonalds for a living. When a supervisor weighed in and finally commandeered a bus, they loaded everyone and didn't have seats for a family of four who then had to get off again. Come on people, you can count up to 50 without getting a stroke surely???

Essentially, Royal Caribbean International have done a fantastic job with the ship and they handle passenger flow on and off with breathtaking efficiency. The product they deliver will definitely please most people and will leave you feeling like you had your money's worth.

It is, sadly, tempered a little by a small minority of pushy rude staff and a partnering with a truly incompetent transfer agent.

Publication Date: 11/03/10