Costa Fortuna Cruise Review by peggy ovett: COSTA FORTUNA - GRECIAN SPLENDOUR CRUISE

peggy ovett
0 Post

Compare Prices on Costa Fortuna Europe - Western Mediterranean Cruises

COSTA FORTUNA - GRECIAN SPLENDOUR CRUISE

Sail Date: October 2010
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Venice

Just got back from cruise to Greek Islands from Venice on Costa Fortuna. My first time with Costa Cruises, have been on 15 cruises before with various companies - some big and some small.

The embarkation was awful, hundreds of people waiting to get on and NO ORGANISATION WHATSOEVER, not a good start.

Lovely ship, lovely cabin and very good itinerary BUT the food on the ship was so disappointing. The food on a ship is part of the cruise experience but the food on this ship will only be remembered for the wrong reasons.

The quality of the meat was very poor, not your usual steaks and lobster etc., just cheap cuts of meat and lots of chicken all very chewy with the exception of the Gala dinner when we had a reasonable steak but it was a very small portion. One night I didn't like any of the main courses offered and settled for an 'alternative' of steak and chips, it was what we buy in the supermarkets, the cheapest steak possible to buy, usually sold as quick More fry steak with a few chips literally chucked on a plate, no garnish or salad etc.,

one of the ladies on my table had salmon every night because she couldn't eat the meat and they even run out of that on the Saturday. The 'salad bar' was the most boring salad bar I have ever seen- salad leaves from a plastic bag thrown into a bowl, a few sliced onions, radishes, carrots and unbelievably for an italian ship NO TOMATOES!!

NO DRESSINGS and when you did order a salad in the restaurant at night with your meal there was so little dressing you couldn't taste it, my american companions on my table reckoned it had been watered down.

In the buffet there were so many people and so many queues and when you got your food it was impossible to find a table- we ended up one day sitting on a sun lounger trying to balance and eat our lunch.

In the buffet they had a carvery and one day instead of meat it was a whole boiled octopus- the whole buffet stunk of it! I usually went down to the restaurant for lunch to avoid the bun fight in the buffet and on the last day the only choice for meat was lamb curry! OK if you like curry but I dont and on a cruise in the mediterranean who would want to eat curry! At lunchtime in the restaurant there was only one meat choice take it or leave it!!

This is an italian ship and the english speaking guests were way outnumbered by the italians who got preference every time, first off on the tenders, excursions, shuttles etc., and although it wasnt school holiday week in the UK it must have been in Italy because there were so many italian children on board and they have even less manners than their parents.

I complained to the english speaking hostess on the last day about the only choice being curry and no seats in the buffet and she said because it was the last day she couldnt do anything about it had I gone to her on the first day then she could, I doubt if she could have changed the standard of the food!! She didn't want to know and I have since coming home sent my complaint to Costa who so far after one week have only received an automatic reply and still awaiting for their comments. Less

Read more Costa Fortuna cruise reviews >>