Carnival Freedom Cruise Review by Seasonedcruiser0510: Star-Trek Decor, But Great Service & Clean Ship!

Seasonedcruiser0510
Member Since 2010

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Carnival Freedom Panama Canal & Central America Cruises

Star-Trek Decor, But Great Service & Clean Ship!

Sail Date: October 2010
Destination: Panama Canal & Central America

My wife, two kids (17 & 13), and my mom took the 8-day Panamal Canal Tour, departing from Ft. Lauderdale in early June. We arrived in Miami and caught a shuttle to the Springhill Suites near Port Everglades. The hotel was great. Hot & muggy in June, but this hotel has a couple variety stores and a ton of restaurants near it, so it's a great location for last-minute purchases before embarkation.

We used the hotel shuttle to the port. No problems at all, but be sure to tell the desk staff as soon as you arrive, as they put you on the "next available" shuttle the morning of the cruise.

Embarkation day was slick. We had little difficulty getting through Carnival's process. Staff was good, although the building we embarked through was a little like a bus terminal, and we did have to wait about 30 minutes before our zone was called. Even then, it wasn't that bad.

On board by 11:30 a.m. and into the buffet for lunch. Food is O.K., but the layout of the More serving lines should have been won the Gong Show for "Worst Traffic Jam on the High Seas." Food was just OK...and I didn't expect much more than that.

The ship was impeccably clean. Never did see even so much as a speck of dust. All facilities were great, staff was good, and I could not have been happier that my kids and mom felt at home. Shops were fun, the sales were ridiculous (but worth participating in), and the spa was spectacular.

We really enjoyed the ship itself. Much to do, lots of ocean, lots of top-side space.

The decor -

Well, I didn't see Mr. Spock or Captain Kirk, but I was certain they HAD to be around the ship somewhere. Mr. Farkus (and Carnival for that matter) really must explain why the would put such a collection of space, space junk, old stuff from Ellis Island, and psychedelic mushroom-esq decor on what otherwise is a magnificent floating city. Anyway, despite how weird the decor on the ship actually was, we ended up enjoying it. In fact, I'd say it really ended up being a non-issue after the first few hours.

Last couple of things. The dining room food and service was the best we've ever had on a ship of any size. The staff was great, the food great, and we never once waited to be seated (anytime dining). Conversely, Carnival really needs to address the four-way train wreck in the buffet area. There's absolutely no reason why it needs to be such a problem for passengers to get something to eat quickly without having to stand in line and run their trays down a lunchroom-style serving system.

Entertainment. I'm a conservative, so take my view of the entertainment with that in mind, but my kids really didn't need to see the suggestive dancing and thong-clad dancers that the two shows we went to couldn't seem to live without. I was very disappointed. We sat through the first show, but left when the second (Ticket to Ride) show started.

We will consider Carnival again. Less

Read more Carnival Freedom cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Freedom Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Freedom Balcony Upper 6473

Our cabin (6473) had an extended balcony. Few know about it. If you have the chance, look into it. We had twice the space that others had. The only caveat was that the disco is right below cabins in this area, and occasionally we were drubbed by the vibrations of the sound equipment. However, it just wasn't that bad. Had heard horror stories from prior cruisers, but our experience was good. I'd book that cabin again. In fact, Carnival Freedom had the best accommodations (by far) of any ship we've ever been on.

I'm rating this port (Colon, Panama)a 5+ because of the Panama Canal tour. We took the eight-hour tour that was about $190. Purchased it on board. Worth every penny despite the cost.

Best tour I've ever had on a cruise. We boarded a bus on the Caribbean side, rode to the Pacific side, boarded a very nice ferry (food was excellent, and drinks (soda, water) plentiful and on the house. Tour guide was worth the entire ride. We saw and learned more about the canal than most people in the world ever get.

The ride is LONG, but our kids did just fine. Bring a few games for kids to play, and for heaven's sake, make sure everyone stays under the canopy most of time time. Panama is hot, humid, and sweltering.

At Cozumel we did "Three Reef Snorkel." I've snorkeled twice in this area, and this tour was the better of the two, hands down. Can't wait to do it again.

Wife, daughter and mom did Dolphin Encounter. MY 13-year-old was in 7th-Heaven. Great tour.

Shopping was good. Always love the Cinco Soles silver shops. Good prices, pure silver, and no B.S.

Read 3104 Cozumel Reviews

We toured a banana plantation, did a river-boat ride, and toured quite a bit of country. Beautiful place, but poor. Port shopping was better than I expected. Trust the locals there, if you can speak a bit of Spanish. I was impressed. All took time to speak with me in their native tongue as we shopped.