Oriana Cruise Review by Robin Bold: Cruising for the Un-initiated? A fabulous initiation!!!!!!!!

Robin Bold
0 Post

Cruising for the Un-initiated? A fabulous initiation!!!!!!!!

Sail Date: January 2009
Destination: Transatlantic
Embarkation: Southampton

How do a couple celebrate 40 years of marriage? Not many reach that milestone these days so it had to be something special! I believe my wife and I found that something special. From the moment we found ourseves at the terminal at Southamton to the minute we left at San Francisco it was a time to remember. The fact that we had arrived earlier than our booking time did not faze the staff in any way and they were only too willing to assist us and guide us through the embarkation procedure. When we did board we were amazed at the sight which met our eyes. My only experience of ships had been the Dover Calais crossing and the Hull Rotterdam crossing so it was an awe inspiring tour of the ship and facilities to see what was on offer.

Being a Brass and Military Band enthusiast it was a special treat to cast off from the quayside to the stirring music of 'Rule Britania' with the confetti, streamers and fireworks.

Our first three days were spent at sea and we quickly More realised why so many people had advised me to buy a dinner suit with trousers a size larger. If I continued to eat how I started then one size larger would not have been the correct choice so some serious decisions had to be made re my eating habits!!!

Madeira

This was our first port of call and perhaps the only dissapointment of the trip. We had pre-booked all of our trips prior to embarkation and on this particular excursion were dissappointed to find that we spent three hours on a coach looking at clouds fog and rain. It was little comfort to us to hear a guide telling us what beautiful scenery we were missing! Especially when people(obviously a little more experienced cruisers than us) who had spent a fraction of the cost of our excursion enjoyed the lower altitude weather.

St Lucia

Now this was better -an excellent coach and boat trip to introduce us to the Carribean with a smashing dip in the sea before heading back to the ship.

Margarita

As our daughter had married a Venezuelan we were interested to see where they had been on Honeymoon. The day was a mixtute of torrential rain and hot sun. It was an amazing sight to see the local roads turn into rivers and the skill whch our driver showed in the negotiation of these roads/rivers. We also experienced the difference between the old and the new and the have's and have nots.

Curacao

An island which I had never heard of but an experience to remember taking the bus(an old army vehicle) with a bush roof to a local beach and enjoying the white sands and snorkelling afterwards a visit to the local town before re embarkation

Panama Canal

What can we say? one can only get the real experience by travelling through it. Thanks to the crew members for a very informative commentary throughout.

Acapulco

Well I am sure that the people who paid for excursions to watch the divers had their moneys worth but this trip was perhaps one of the highlights of the cruise when we released baby turtles into the sea - a truly memorable occasion

San Francisco

The end of the cruise for us we had further adventures to face up to(but thats another story) oh how I wish we were wealthy enough to stay on board!!!!!

Life on Board

Cruising was everything we had been told and more! From a fantastic captain who was always friendly, conspicuous, informative to our cabin steward and waiters were so friendly; helpfull,couteous and polite to the entertainment team -wow what talent. Thank you all so much

Will this be our first and last cruise? ROLL ON OUR NEXT ONE THANK YOU P AND O for such a memorable occasion. Less

Read more Oriana cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Oriana Review >>

Cabin review: Oriana A151

although our cabin was next to busy lifts we were never disturbed by fellow passengers or crew members.