Celebrity Infinity Cruise Review by KAYEF

Cruise Date: September 2010
Embarkation: Seattle
Destination: Panama Canal & Central America
Cabin Category: 1C
See More About: Celebrity Infinity Cruise Reviews | Panama Canal & Central America Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals
Entertainment 5+

We'd looked forward to our first Celebrity cruise ~
I had ordered a wheelchair for my SIL's boarding. We were told to "sit here" because the wheelchairs weren't being used yet. Wheelchair after wheelchair came and took men and it wasn't until I let them know I was "very unhappy with the lack of service" that all of a sudden a Security Lady said if we sat in chairs by her, a wheelchair would be there immediately. One did come after we'd waited far too long.

We were greeted and sent up to the buffet. It was very nice...........took a long time to figure out all the areas, etc. The layout was user-friendly once you figured it out.

I knew the cabin would be smaller than what we're used to but when we walked in I was really shocked at the lack of space and the tiny balcony. Two months before, we'd been on another line for two weeks and our balcony cabin was much larger and our balcony WAY larger. The sofa was so tiny, it was useless. Just leaving it out of the cabin would leave a bit more room.

The cabin was very clean but the beds were the worst we've ever had on a cruise ship. We looked underneath, and they were held up with metal bars like on a camping cot..............the mattresses were VERY HARD and we could feel metal bars through them. They did not offer a decent night's sleep.

We were also surprised with the lack of space for our clothes. We asked for more hangers but never did get them.

Our cabin and bathroom were cleaned twice a day and we always had new towels when we needed them.

It was nice to have not just ice, but also water twice a day as well.

We were very disappointed with the main dining room's entrees. If you liked lamb, it seemed to be delicious no matter the cut.........one night I ordered pork medallions.......they should be small, round, thin pieces. I got two hunks cut off of a roast, apparently. They were very thick and just cut like a hunk...........no shape. They were un-eatable...........just tough. Once I had fish that had seen better days.........it was definitely old. In fact it was terrible. We were all excited when we finally got lobster........and not one of us could eat it! It was so tough, and it had these thick cords of something running through it..........it was the same for all the people at a neighboring table. We felt the selections were very limited (no crablegs, no lobster, etc.)

There was a definite lack of fresh, cooked vegetables at dinner. The only time I saw nice, steamed veggies was at the two brunch buffets. I had a plate of veggies and was a happy cruiser!

The shrimp cocktails were delicious. We always had four huge prawns and good sauce.............whereas twice when we ordered prawns as entrees, we only got three very small ones. Go figure.............we loved the shrimp cocktails and should have stuck with them, I guess.

Our Head Waiter and his Assistant were top notch and eager to bring something else if we had a problem with food. They made mealtimes fun.

We only tried the MDR for lunch one time. The waiter brought our appetizers and entrees at the same time and we never again saw him..........no more water, no dessert, no service.

The desserts were wonderful...............beautiful and delicious every night.

My best discovery on Infinity was the Thermal Pool and its Aqua Spa Cafe. Once I discovered the cafe, we ate all of our breakfasts and lunches there.

Everything was beautifully displayed and the servings were a perfect size. They make egg-white/veggie omelets and will bring them to you. The rolls are not sweet pastries but things like orange, banana, zucchini yeast rolls. If you ask they will find butter (it's not needed) but this is a heart-healthy cafe so it's not on display.

The salads are small and very special or they can make you one having everything you ask for.

It's a tiny place with maybe 12 tables (and 3 on the other side) but there are always tables available...........no long lines as in the buffet (and no temptations). The staff here was very pleasant and helpful.

We felt the entertainment was some of the best we've ever enjoyed. The ship's orchestra and singers and dancers were all top notch........just excellent.

The two buffets in the MDR and the ones in Constellation late at night were beautiful and delicious.

Some of the entertainment up there was really fun as well.

One of the people who did activities had no idea what he was doing..........didn't know how to do trivia questions/score them and didn't know how to question and/or score when we played Family Feud, either.

One of the best activities ever was the Improve sessions....the couple running them really made it fun and people were eager to take the risk and join in.

Someone had offered on CC to teach MahJongg and many people were eager to learn. It was hard to find an area where we didn't get "chased out" and it would have been fun to have a larger place somewhere because more and more people came by and asked if they could learn as well. The teacher had brought her own set and the ship had two that were a mess; we organized them but the next time they were again a mess. I think the person who volunteered so much of her time (every sea day for a few hours) should have at least been given a Celebrity t-shirt or something. Other people leading activities got free cabins! There was no appreciation from those leading activities for what she did at all.

We felt Damian was a great C.D. He said what needed to be said and wasn't on the speaker all the time with useless announcements.

We were disappointed with the staff in many areas, however. When they passed they never greeted people and my SIL pointed out several times when supervisors were dealing with staff right in front of the passengers; that's embarrassing for both the staff and the passengers. Twice they were blocking doorways, even, and didn't move.

Training/disciplining should be done behind the scenes.

For the most part, the ship was clean and neat but not the public restrooms. The one outside the showroom was "always" out of cloth towels, had paper towels on the floor and the toilet areas were filthy. It needs to have a more frequent cleaning schedule in the evenings when there's so much traffic in that area.

The layout of the ship is really nice; we never felt crowded except when we tried to exit the dining room and the second seating people were crowded outside, wanting to get in...........that was not comfortable.

Disembarkation could have been much better but we each needed a wheelchair. I get them for my SIL because of a heart condition and she can't walk long distances and I needed one because I injured my back on the ship. One morning I was unable to stand when I tired to get out of my VERY UNCOMFORTABLE bed. We found wheelchairs but people in charge of disembarkation were unable to find anyone to push them. They kept calling for people, but none came. We had a later flight (1:20 p.m.) but we were almost late checking in.

Would we cruise with Celebrity again?

Maybe, just because of the thermal pool and Aqua Spa Cafe and the entertainment.

The tiny cabins and awful beds would make us think twice.

Oh, almost forgot. Re-boarding in San Diego was a nightmare. We had to exit and re-enter through the Milennium's security............an extra long walk and wait.

Publication Date: 10/31/10