Carnival Dream Cruise Review by Pandabeartx: The Dream is a Dream

Compare Prices on Carnival Dream Western Caribbean Cruises

The Dream is a Dream

Sail Date: October 2010
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

Having read various reviews before the cruise, I was wary and a little afraid of what this cruise would be like. There were so many bad reviews I wondered if we were going to have a good time. The worrying was for nothing. The whole ship was great. The timing of the cruise may have a lot to do with it, or maybe parents had control of their children. The biggest complaint was that there were kids running around and being mischievous. We did not encounter anything to complain about even though we were told that there were at least 500 kids on board.

The smell, What smell? Never encountered the odor that people had complained about.

Embarkation a breeze. Debarkation even better, wish I had let DH book an earlier flight. Since our flight was not until 5pm, we were on the last batch to debark.

We were at the airport by noon.

Food was great and as usual too much. I noticed that the portions at dinner in MD were larger than I remember. Main dishes were More always good, but the sides could use improvement. Buffet lines were no worse than our last RCCL cruise on a much smaller ship; however I didn't appreciate them separating the omelet line from the meats and breads on the last 4 days. Deli, Grill, Pasta Bar, Mongolian are all top notch, did not try the Tandoori. Favorite is the Pizza. Carnival cruise lines have the best pizza, and only line I have found that has daily sushi. Sea day barbecue was the best, everything was good.

The pool areas were very nice and we never had problems finding seats near the water. Only complaint is that the hot tubs were only lukewarm. The water slides are not only for kids. Glad to see we were not the only adults taking advantage.Showers on the deck by the pools are a great asset.

Overall I am very satisfied with a wonderful cruise on a beautiful ship. The only thing is that I would have liked more time on the ship because I never made it to the spa or the gym.

Looking forward to doing it again. Maybe the Eastern Caribbean next time. Less

Read more Carnival Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Dream Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Dream Balcony Verandah 8229

Two small separate closets with an additional closet that only has shelves. There were 4 drawers on vanity table area. Nice balcony. I had read that the balconies on upper floors were visible to people on the 5th floor area. I did not notice any problems with that. When on the balcony, I could not see people on the deck.

This port does not seem to be very interesting if you don't book some type of excursion. We found ours outside the ship. We did snorkeling for a couple of hours. The waters were still murky after the storms that passed through the area the week before, however we were able to see some amazing sights on the reef. The small island we were taken to after was okay. Moderately priced food and beer.

This port is close to what Cancun was 30 years ago. It is undeveloped but still a great place to visit. The small town on the beach is great for values. I would recommend buying souvenirs there since the prices are lower than the port area. We rented a golf cart to drive around in and did a tour of the area. We then stopped for a beer, tequila shot and massage on the beach. My DH went out snorkeling with another guest we ran into. We had our own equipment so the cost was zero. Area chosen was not great for snorkeling but enjoyable.

We booked an excursion through Carnival to the mainland to see the amazing secret river. This is a wonderful,awesome, beautiful experience. The site is new and still very underdeveloped which made the experience so much better. After the tour we had some time to shop on 5th Avenue in Playa del Carmen. This is an all day excursion since the ferry ride is about 45 minutes to and from Cozumel.

Read 3145 Cozumel Reviews

We spent most of the morning on the Carnival area beach there in port. The sky lift is good if you have problems walking, otherwise the walk to the beach is easy and enjoyable. You may even get there faster than riding, seeing that the lines were always long. We went back to the ship for lunch, changed and rented a taxi for the afternoon. Took a tour of the western end of the island. Not much to see. There were excursions for time spent in a resort with access to pools showers and beach. Beautiful island, however we found that the souvenirs there were cheaper and same quality in the Carnival port area.

Read 1662 Roatan Reviews