Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by lareefun: Birthday cruise

Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Liberty of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Birthday cruise

Sail Date: October 2010

A nice cruise on one of the larger ships in the fleet. I personally prefer the smaller ships and after experiencing this cruise it just confirms my opinion.

Boarding was easy we started boarding around 11 am. Not too many people early in the day. We waited for a bit before heading to the buffet for a nice lunch. The buffet was crowed, but expected.

Cabins were ready at the time specified, but my special orders for sail date had not arrived until after dinner. Chocolate covered Strawberries and a Fruit and Cheese plate.

All the luggage did not arrived at the same time. My suitcase was finally delivered after dinner. Too late to change for dinner though.

We requested a small table when booking the cruise and were seated at a table for 10 people, definitely not small. Our table mates were pleasant enough and helped to pass the time during dinner. The server always forgot at least one person's dessert. I had prearranged a birthday cake, it was not More delivered at all. I had to mention to the head waiter it was my birthday before anything was done. I was given a slice of cheese cake, not sugar free as was requested in the cake order. No explation was given, I even had the confirmation with me.

I had an issue with bug bits I brought to the attention of the ship staff. A supervisor was immediately sent to my cabin to check for bed bugs, I told them this was not the cause of the problem. I was told I probably picked up a bug at one of the ports, not. I had the bits after the second day at sea, before we hit any of the ports of call. I told them I had new bits after all the bedding was supposedly changed, I found out later the bedding had not been changed as reported. I found the bug problem to be in the supplied bathrobe left in my nice walk-in closet to be the source. Other than reporting the problem, more than once no one seemed to care about my concerns and I felt my problem was not important and pushed aside, since the bugs were not bed bugs.

Food wise it should have been better. I per-ordered a fruit and cheese basket it came with one square of Bree, 2 apples, 2 bananas, a small bunch of grapes and 2 strawberries, one of which had mold. The crackers were regular saltines. In the past I received a small selection of cheeses, appropriate crackers and fruit. This time it was very disappointing. We went to Chops for my birthday dinner. The steak had no flavor and was not cooked as ordered. I told the server I could not have alcohol (allergies) at the beginning of the meal and what did she bring but 2 glasses of champagne to make up for the poor meal. I repeated I could not have alcohol she then said, "Oh Well". A very disappointing meal for a special occasion, not worth the service charge.

Food in the main dining room was adequate and plentiful but not special. Special requests were not accepted if not on the current night's menu. I have food allergies and have to be very careful of what I eat. If what I could eat was not available on a particular night I had to do without or sublimate my meal with a trip to the buffet.

There was plenty to do on the ship, but the crowds were a little off putting for me. The shows in the Platinum theatre need work, both technical and artistic.

The ship is soon for dry dock and it shows. Several carpeted areas show seam separations which can result in people tripping. All the balcony railings had no varnish and splinters were a major threat.

I am still a big fan of cruise and highly recommend it to anyone that will listen. This cruise is a the bottom of my list, but still I am glad I experienced at least one of the big ships.

We chose express walk off for our disembarkation. took longer than expected, but we made it off the ship. Our ground transportation was not waiting as expected and my cabin mate decided on taking a taxi to the airport instead of waiting. I wound up waiting 1 hour before my ride to the parking garage arrived. Less

Read more Liberty of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Liberty of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Liberty of the Seas Junior Suite Deck 7 9626

Junior Suite cabins offer plenty of space, in this case the cabin was larger than the hotel room for our pre-cruise stay. The line has walk in closets at this class of cabins and the bathroom has a full size bathtub. The private balcony was large enough for 3 chairs, table and a lounger, plus room to move around. The only complaint was with our neighbors the guy like to smoke his cigars on the balcony. When he was there I had to stay inside with the balcony door tightly closed. He was out there a lot during the cruise.

I have been to San Juan several times over the years and could see many improvements and much construction going on. Plus it being a US country I was able to turn on my cell phone and receive messages with out the worry of exorbitant international roaming charges. I chose an excursion to the Forts of San Juan and had to bail halfway through the first fort. The heat got to me and I headed back to the ship on a free tourist trolly. Nice surprise not to have to pay for public transportation. Locals use the trolly as well.

Read 1353 San Juan Reviews

The streets were dirty and crowded, the shopping was forced and people were in the streets trying to drag you in to their shop. I did find a small treasure in a store run by the Yoda Guy. A pleasant surprise for a Star Wars fan. I missed my connection for a ship arranged excursion in hindsight I wish I had made it to the meeting time. The last time I visited the island we docked on the French side to me a much nicer area to wander around in on your own.