Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by Valeen

Member Name: Valeen
Cruise Date: October 2010
Embarkation: Dover
Cabin Category: BA
See More About: Norwegian Sun Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sun Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sun Deck Plans
NCL SUN -19 days
I'd read complaints about the food not being very good on this ship, and the buffet area being short on seating, so I pleased to experience the opposite. My husband and I did not love every dish we tried, but over all the food was good. The fish was always good. I was pleased with the variety of choices offered in the buffet at lunch and supper. Some days we ate every meal at the buffet and we never experienced a lack of table availability. I was surprised and pleased that both soft serve and regular ice cream was offered free. We tried two of the "pay extra" restaurants. The Italian place was just OK, nothing special. The Steak place served a very good shrimp cocktail. The 4 of us were pleased with the steaks. However 2 of us ordered "medium" and received WELL DONE. It took 3 tries to get my tenderloin done MEDIUM, (first one was dry - too well done, and second one was much too rare) The staff was very concerned about getting it done right, so we were impressed by their effort to please.

Our room staff was very friendly and accomodating. No complaints about the room - the bed was fine. They could provide an option to the comforter. I found it much too warm for use most nights even with the AC turned up to the max. I asked for something less heavy, but nothing was substituted. We had a balcony room on the 10th level, slightly aft.

The entertainment could have been better. Not enough choices during the day hours, and the evening music/dancing options were too late. We'd have liked some live music in a lounge area at about 7:3o so that if we did not care to go to the floor show, we'd have had an option for after supper.

The TA part of the trip was fine. We had to skip a port due to a storm in that area, so too bad. Better to miss the port than sail into a storm, yet we heard complaints. The Carib. part of the cruise had major anoyances. In Port Canaveral getting off and on the ship was the most difficult I've ever experienced. The EASY OFF -take all of your luggage with you and walk off sooner than the other folks, was NOT easy. My husband lost one and a half hours of his excursion time due to not being able to get off at the time told to us. People gathered in the atrium area and became aggitated over standing in a long unmoving line. On our dis-embarcation day we were told that a pasenger fist fight broke out in the atrium over a line-jumping issue. Also there was a very badly handled line problem at the KEY WEST port. We were gine a notice that we had to come down to the Stardust by floors, starting at about 6AM. Then another notice came and said 7 AM. When we showed up at 7:25, we discovered no line movement had happened. We stood in line for awhile and then decided to go to breakfast. After breakfast the line was amazingly long! Some folks stood in that line nearly 2 hours! The staff should have used the PA to tell people to stop coming down, and/or told the early birds to go back to their rooms and await another anouncement to come down. Only two "officials" were doing the document checks, and they had arrived later than expected. Getting up very early, to stand for a long time in an unmoving line, is not a good way to start a day!

In any large group of people there are those that do not care if their behavior is offensive. We experienced some of those. I would not have wanted to be on the Carib. portion of the cruise with children, due to the behavoir of some adults in the pool area. Too bad the SUN is not large enough to have an ADULTS ONLY pool area.

Over all we had a good time, but it was not the best cruise experience.

Publication Date: 10/26/10