Azamara Journey Cruise Review by Randy911

Cruise Date: October 2010
Embarkation: Athens (Piraeus)
Destination: Eastern Mediterranean
Cabin Category: 2A
See More About: Azamara Journey Cruise Reviews | Eastern Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Azamara Cruise Deals

LuxuryOnly.com

Great Cruise? Definitely. Amazing Dining? Not so much.
My wife and I just got back from the 10/10/10 sailing of the Journey and I have to say that we had an amazing time. The ship size was perfect, suites were immaculate, and the staff was friendly (we wanted to adopt a few of them ;-) ).

The facilities on board were very good, particularly the spa and health club. Working out was a pleasure and the machines were very well maintained compared to on-shore fitness clubs.

Check-in and check-out was very efficient and the handling of shore excursions was really great. At no time did I feel impatient to get off the ship nor did we have to wait very long to debark or for tendering.

Up to this point, I give the ship 5 well earned stars.

If I have one major gripe about the cruise is the kitchen. The presentation was very good, but the food preparation in the main and Aqualina restaurants left a whole lot to be desired. Inconsistency seemed to be the name of the game for those two.

For Aqualina, my lamb came cold and then was reheated instead of being re-fired, lobster came overdone and underdone at the same service in Aqualina.

For the main dining room, my wife was served raw salmon, and I had numerous issues with allergies.

With regret, I have to fail the ship relating to food. If your goal is a truly exceptional fine dining experience, look elsewhere, like a restaurant. If you have allergies, as I do, you might want to consider another ship until improvements are made.

Of the top 5 meals we had during the cruise, all of them were on-shore in family (4) and hotel (1) restaurants. The ships kitchen simply didn't do it for me.

I had high hopes for this ship and if the food preparation processes had been up to a decent standard (as we experienced on Celebrity on the previous cruise), the experience would have been the best we ever had.

Publication Date: 10/26/10