Azamara Journey Cruise Review by Randy911: Great Cruise? Definitely. Amazing Dining? Not so much.

Randy911
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Azamara Journey Europe - Eastern Mediterranean Cruises

Great Cruise? Definitely. Amazing Dining? Not so much.

Sail Date: October 2010
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Athens (Piraeus)

My wife and I just got back from the 10/10/10 sailing of the Journey and I have to say that we had an amazing time. The ship size was perfect, suites were immaculate, and the staff was friendly (we wanted to adopt a few of them ;-) ).

The facilities on board were very good, particularly the spa and health club. Working out was a pleasure and the machines were very well maintained compared to on-shore fitness clubs.

Check-in and check-out was very efficient and the handling of shore excursions was really great. At no time did I feel impatient to get off the ship nor did we have to wait very long to debark or for tendering.

Up to this point, I give the ship 5 well earned stars.

If I have one major gripe about the cruise is the kitchen. The presentation was very good, but the food preparation in the main and Aqualina restaurants left a whole lot to be desired. Inconsistency seemed to be the name of the game for those two.

For Aqualina, my More lamb came cold and then was reheated instead of being re-fired, lobster came overdone and underdone at the same service in Aqualina.

For the main dining room, my wife was served raw salmon, and I had numerous issues with allergies.

With regret, I have to fail the ship relating to food. If your goal is a truly exceptional fine dining experience, look elsewhere, like a restaurant. If you have allergies, as I do, you might want to consider another ship until improvements are made.

Of the top 5 meals we had during the cruise, all of them were on-shore in family (4) and hotel (1) restaurants. The ships kitchen simply didn't do it for me.

I had high hopes for this ship and if the food preparation processes had been up to a decent standard (as we experienced on Celebrity on the previous cruise), the experience would have been the best we ever had. Less

Read more Azamara Journey cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Azamara Journey Review >>

Cabin review: Azamara Journey

Good space, small bathroom, great balcony, well-stocked bar, hard bed.

The scale of it all, the awesomeness of the place. What can I say. It was incredible. We went with a private operator, Ramsees, who took us around in a small bus and kept us ahead of the crowds and minimized the heat. Our guide, Kareem, was fantastic and flexible to the needs of our group. Don't expect things to be clean, though. Take lots have hand sanitizer and don't eat the fruit or drink the water.

Haifa was particularly good. We had a local tour operator take us around northern Israel, who was amazing. Thanks Michal (Mikki) from Israel Guided Tours. Great job. The tour continued into Jerusalem on the next day. Our guide made us feel like family. We were blown away by the whole experience.

Read 88 Haifa Reviews

Amazing place. Take the Delos tour and definitely eat at one of the great local restaurants. By far our top meal was at Taverne Nikos. I had the shrimp risotto and can still taste it in my mine. Our tour to Delos was incredible. We went with a ship-organized excursion and were delighted with the guide (Antonio).

Read 381 Mykonos Reviews

Naples was pretty good and the pizza was great as expected. A good tour operator is needed for Pompeii, which we didn't really have from the ship-organized excursion, and don't get sucked into the Cameo Coral factory. It's a store, little more.

Read 651 Naples Reviews

Lovely place, but tragic to turn a historical site into a flea market. Too bad on this one.

Read 185 Rhodes Reviews

I'm in love with Sorrento and hope to go back some day. I can see why the Romans vacationed there. Wonderful place. We just walked around and took in the sights. If we had had more time, we'd have gone on a walking tour.