Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by upwarduk: Eclipse Mediterranean 2010

Sail Date: October 2010
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Southampton

CELEBRITY ECLIPSE 4th- 20th October 2010

Sunday 3rd October, saw us loading the car in torrential rain and we left home @10.15. Eventually the rain stopped as we neared Oxford, but the traffic became heavy as the weather improved. We arrived in Southampton ton at 4.15.pm. We were booked into the Travel Lodge about 3 miles away from the port. The room was basic, but clean. We ate at Dock 'o the Bay in the evening ( £10.99 for a 2 course meal) which was across the road from TL( which looked like an office block) I woke in the morning to see Eclipse berthed, so the excitement began.

We ate breakfast at "Elizabeth House" which was just around the corner, The breakfast cost £7.50 p.p. We then drove in to Southampton & did some last minute shopping at the West Quay shopping centre. At 12.30pm we decided we would embark. There was a delay dropping off our baggage, as so many people had driven themselves to the port.

Another hold up was caused by the More number of people who had to queue for luggage labels. We had some supplied by Celebrity, but they were the wrong colour! This is one area where they failed miserably- we could not order on line as we were a group booking. Let the Travel Agents issue as they did in the past. We breezed through embarkation , as we had already filled in the embarkation forms. Then the obligatory photo call.

We went to the cabin where the bed was wider than most that we have had before. The shower unit was the best that I have ever seen on a ship, However there was no unit for shower gel- only Aqua class get that! We were supplied with soap!

We then went to the dining room ( Moonlight Sonata) where a film was shown for the Muster drill (no lifebelts needed to be taken with us) Fortunately the sun came out for sail away, which we watched from the Sunset bar at the stern of the ship, so we could see where we had parked the car, near the flour mill. We then walked around the ship, taking note of the green grass which was being trimmed ( with the hot glass show arena in the background)

SEA DAYS

Not far into the 1st evening, it was evident that we were sailing into a storm. The night was apparently rough, but both Adrian & I felt no ill effects. The first we noticed was that there were fewer people than expected at the 1st C.C get together, which was held in the Sky Observation Lounge on Deck 14 forward. We definitely felt movement there. From there we went down to the Wine Tasting seminar in the restaurant, which was put on for Select & Elite members of the Captain's club. Later it was back up to the Sky Conference centre, which was the designated practice room for the 'Choir.'

Apparently any new Celebrity ship has the pick of the entertainment's staff in it's Inaugural Season, to get it off the ground. A Canadian, Carl Pucl, was one of the best in the company. He had asked to get a choir together- only dedicated singers need attend. Adrian(DH) was obviously interested, given his background. He attended all practices (14) and an admirable performance was put on during a concert on the last sea day. Later, we heard that the 1st 'Formal night' & the production show had already been postponed to the following day; it was too rough for the dancers to perform. When we later did a back stage tour I could see why. The stage is at the forward end of the ship, where all movement is exaggerated. I saw a door swing shut, and it was only the quick action of one of the staff, that prevented it smashing in to a couple who were leaving the Sky conference centre.

The following morning I woke up & suffered a nose bleed----was it another side effect of seasickness? I did hear of people loosing balance when they bent down, which apparently is also a side effect . After I had stopped my nose bleed, I put on a bath robe & made myself a cup of tea in one of the 'newly' designed glass , metal handelled cups. As I took a sip, the whole of the glass cup fell out of the holder. Very fortunately, all the tea went over the bath robe. WHATEVER HAPPENED TO HEALTH & SAFETY? I filled in the 'Tell us how we can help' card & took it to Guest Relations, asking for normal cups to be supplied & also for XL bath robes. I was told that they were all one size, but we did have them replaced with softer ones which were definitely larger. Obviously used for Aqua class guests! Thereafter, we were treated to gifts on alternate nights, a bottle of wine, flowers, chocolates, and fruit.

I also attended 2'Apple' lectures; one about i photos & the other on the i-phone, I pod touch & the i-pad. I also decided to buy the computer package; 20% extra minutes on the 1st Sea day + 25% off for being a "select" member.

Food & Drink

Breakfast

Mainly we ate in Moonlight Sonata!. One of the waiters told us that the dining room was exceptionally busy in a morning, as the ship sailed from Southampton. What I think he meant was that the English like being served their breakfast. We opted for it, as we tend to overeat- it is too tempting to pile your plate up! We opted for room service, for our arrival in Venice, as we thought we would miss' sail in.' However we were in early, so ate looking at the docks at dawn

We tended to go to the Ocean View Cafe at lunch time, as their hours were longer than the dining room's. We found that this was better, as Adrian went to lunch time choir practices, so it suited us better. However, I never found it over busy, but maybe it was because it was later than most people wanted to eat. I liked the way that everything was set out in bays- hot food, salads, carvery etc

Brunch was served over the weekend sea days. This was from 09.30 until 1pm. A much better idea that midnight feasts IMO. On the first Sunday we went late- an early lunch, as Adrian had a choir practice. We had woken early, so had had breakfast in the Ocean View Cafe. On the 2nd Saturday, we went for early Brunch & that was the only day when I had an afternoon tea- ( except for the elegant tea on the last afternoon) 09.30- 20.30 is a long,long time to go without food!!

Elegant Afternoon Tea

There was an elegant afternoon tea for Elite members of the Captain's Club, which we were not invited to. It was held during a sea day in the 1st week, but hidden in the listing for the last day's restaurant times , THERE IT WAS, for anyone to attend. We went in celebration of an excellent performance by the Celebrity Choir. Adrian was on cloud 9.

We ate all our evening meals in Moonlight Sonata, Deck 3. We had opted for a table of 6/8 on second sitting & were given a table for 2! Another mishap in Celebrity's organisation.

However, we got talking to a couple on the table adjacent to us & we got on very well. I thought that if we asked for a change, we might get some people that we didn't get on with, so we left things as they were

We didn't use any any of the speciality restaurants, as we were not prepared to pay the €35 cover charge( in Murano) We also declined the wine, as we considered the price to be excessive.

The only meal that I didn't like was veal on pasta. I swear the pasta kept growing as we ate it. Our fault, we read veal, but nothing else. I loved the French Onion soup & opted for it on at least 5 occasions. I also had Salmon & New York Steak twice. I am sure we had warm dinner rolls on a few occasions- maybe formal nights, but I can't be sure.

We attended the Eclipse Theatre ( which holds 1100 passengers) every evening.

2 of the production shows were held after the meal on Formal nights, so I fell asleep during the majority of the performances- 10.45pm is just too late for me. However, contrary to the opinion of the majority of passengers, I was pleased that most shows were on at 19.00 ( for 2nd sitting guests). There was a good mix of entertainment, comedians, singers & musicians.

We also had a "back stage tour" for Select & Elite Captain's club members, which was interesting. One thing we learnt was that if we choose to sail Eclipse again, we would see the same production shows for the next 5 years, as so many millions of $ have been invested in them. We also were at the end of the Inaugural season, so each show was well polished, as the pick of the companies' artists had been performing for at least 6 months. A new group of artists were embarking when we arrived in Southampton, to be taught by the departing company.

In conclusion, we had a great cruise. There were aspects that caused concern, mainly the money charged for excursions and wine. Celebrity should learn that they would sell more of both, if they reduced their prices. They get you on the ship with competitive prices, but try to overcharge once you are on. This just doesn't work with the majority of British passengers Less

Read more Celebrity Eclipse cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Eclipse Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Eclipse Deluxe Ocean View W/ Veranda Sunrise Deck (7) 7233

7233 Port side deck 7. Quietest part of the ship, according to one of the dancers who was working out at 'Planet Earth' one morning.But above the designated smoking on Deck 5 port side. However at no time did we smell smoke from cigarettes & I have a very sensitive nose. The largest bed & best shower cubicle on a cruise ship, but there wasn't any dispenser for shower gel, only soap( when we asked, we were told shower gel was only for Aqua Class passengers) Also no means of hanging washed underclothes. Very noisy in bathroom early morning; I think the Vacuum system for flushing toilets was fed into our pipes! Insufficient drawer space, unless you were tall enough to use the overhead lockers, which fortunately DH was. There certainly is insufficient hanging space, even though there were 24 hangers, I was glad that I had taken more. You are told 90k is the limit for luggage, no way can that amount of luggage be accomodated! The new elegant glass cups in metal holders are a hazzard- A HEALTH & SAFETY ISSUE!But I was so pleased we had a kettle. Bath robes are one size- passengers are not one size. I asked for XL & mine was replaced after a cup of tea fell all over mine, after the glass came out of the holder.They were of a softer material too- maybe Aqua class do have larger robes.

Dubrovnik Wednesday 13th October We had had a very pleasant day walking around Dubrovnik. Gemeni Cruise ship "Happy Cruises" was in with us again. Also Thompson Spirit was there when we arrived. We walked through the main street and then walked outside the walls through the East gate. It was my intention to go up in the cable car, but Adrian had other ideas when he saw the queue. So we stayed outside the city, where we found a restaurant which took €. We sat for an hour or so admiring the view. We then walked back through the town, stopping to buy an ice cream for Adrian with change ( 10kn note,approx1€)

Palermo Friday 15th October This was my least favourite port. It was raining when we arrived, and I had wanted to go to Monreale, where there is a huge DOM. We had agreed to share a taxi, but we didn’t see the people at the C.C meetings to arrange a time. I asked 2 taxi drivers, one wanted €40, the €80. So we went on the road train. There was also a Protest March, which caused 2 of the roads to be closed. We tried to walk back to the cathedral, but my hip started hurting, so we found somewhere for a drink & then returned to the ship via a yacht harbour. The noise created by the traffic was unbelievable; the drivers lacked patience in the extreeme. I was glad to get back to the ship, as the place was very run down.
Read 102 Palermo Reviews

Cagliari Saturday 9th October Again an open top bus, but this time we had to walk up into the town. I believe there were only 2 doing the tours, which only took 34 people at a time, so we bought our tickets and had an hour to spare before we started the tour. We found a lift that saved us climbing numerous steps, so went up to get an over view of the city. The time eventually came for our bus tour. It was warm & sunny after the tour, so we sat in the small square , where we had a drink, before we made our way back to the ship.

Read 100 Sardinia Reviews

Ports of Call (Seville) Cadiz Thursday 7th October We arrived at 8am and after breakfast were soon off the ship. We could not miss the hop on hop off ( hoho) bus which was outside the dock gates. One had just filled up & was on its way, but we managed to get on the 2nd one. We hopped on 3 occasions. We left the Cathedral until last ( unfortunately) Cadiz was like a ghost town, as it was a religious holiday ( Madonna) This entailed a parade from the Cathedral, which we didn't find out about until it was over. We eventually found the Cathedral square & all we saw were the remnants of the parade- the police. However we did find some shops open there- I had been given the job of buying my grand daughter a Flamenco doll ( help for her Spanish homework) & as our visit to Malaga was on a Sunday , I thought we ought to get it ASAP)

Split Monday 11th October We were told the night before we arrived in Split that it didn’t have the infrastructure for large ships and that we would be tendering. We were also told that the passengers who had booked tours (600) would be taken off the ship first, and that the remainder would collect a tender ticket, when they were ready to go ashore. So, we had our breakfast & I went to collect our tickets- Tender number 34! We waited 3 hrs to get off the ship!! Fortunately, it was warm & sunny & for most of that time we sat on the balcony. One of the officers said , “Have a nice day” as we left I replied “ you mean have a nice half day!” I was told that they had asked for tenders from the shore, but none were forthcoming. Why they couldn’t have used more of the ships lifeboats I don’t know. However, there were only 2 of the jetties in use, so I suppose that could have been an explanation. The Captain himself went ashore, to assess the problem. I am sure a report was sent to Miami, as Silhouette is down for a visit next year. When we eventually stepped ashore, we walked straight into the Diocletian Palace, which was just across the road from the port. We spent time ambling around & watching2 dancers from the ship having photos taken to promote a ballet. We then sat down at a café within the palace walls to have a drink. I asked if they took € ( which they did) I heard later that some passengers had ordered in another café where they didn’t take €, so had to then find a machine to get the local currency( We were in Crotia] ]

Read 142 Split Reviews

(5.5)
Venice Tuesday 12th October I was up at 05.00 watching the sail in to Venice, but my photos were very dark, as I was watching from the port side, whose buildings were not lit up. When we had arrived in Venice by the shuttle ( $16 p.p return fare) we were approached & persuaded to take a free water taxi to Murano via the ‘back streets.’ We then had a tour of the glass blowing factory, but declined to buy; very expensive prices. We walked around Murano & visited the church, before returning to Venice by Vaparetto (€6.50p.p) Later we walked around St Marks square & had a drink before returning to the ship. As we sat near the gondola terminus, we watched Brilliance of the Seas arriving. We had a wonderful sail away, so many passengers lined the decks to watch. The Gemeni Cruise ship “ Happy Cruises” & MSC Opera had left before us & we passed Regency & Silversea on our way out.

Read 510 Venice Reviews