Independence of the Seas Cruise Review by Col1874

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Independence of the Seas Cruise Review by Col1874
Independence of the Seas
Independence of the Seas
Member Name: Col1874
Cruise Date: October 2010
Embarkation: Southampton
Destination: Canary Islands
Cabin Category: K
See More About: Independence of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Canary Islands Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
        Under 3 1.0

Independence of the Seas - Not for families with under 3's
Firstly, I would like to point out that my review may not apply to those without kids under the age of 3.

We booked what we thought was going to be a holiday of a lifetime back in March. My wife, daughter and I booked along with the in-laws.

Our problems started from the moment we checked in.

Dining Room:

We were told by RCCL that we had a round table which would acommodate my joint booking and would be a private table for us. When we checked in however, it appeared that my wife, daughter and I were sat at a different table from the in-laws. When we complained to guest services, they wern't interested and pointed us to the Dining Room Manager, who was not in the slightest bit interested either. After spending a good 90 minutes trying to sort out the problem, I got on the phone to the travel agent and asked them to sort out the problem.

Much to my amazement, the travel agent said that Royal Caribbean admitted they made a mistake and would try to put us back to one table - Which amazingly they actually done.

The food in the dining room was far to 'posh' for my liking and they didn't have a kids menu, so the waiter kept having to check if the deserts had a liquor through the sauce and that sort of carry on.

The assistent waiter at the table next to us ('Marcel' was her name), kept telling our daughter to SHHHHH and saying 'You're very noisy, aren't you' which I thought was totally out of order. My daughter was 17 months at the time of travel, what do you expect? She wasn't even that noisy, thats the thing!

We stopped using the main dining room and instead decided to have our dinner in the Windjammer, because we clearly were below 'Royal Caribbean Standards' to eat in the main dining room!

Another point - I believe tipping should only be for those who done a job well - I didn't tip the waiters because of the absolutely shocking service we received in the main dining room.

Activities:

There was only two things for my daughter to do - Go to the play session, between 15:00 and 16:00 or go in the pool, which was usually closed for cleaning!

When we booked, we were told that our daughter would have a fantastic time, because the ship has an on board waterpark... What we weren't told is that my daughter was too young to use the waterpark!

Other Points:

We bought the unlimited soda package. Despite having the Coca Cola logo on the seapass, it definitely wasn't genuine coke we were being served.

The fresh orange juice in the windjammer was very watered down.

The stateroom attendant kept rushing us out of our rooms to get it cleaned.

To sum up my experience, I think its fair to say that I had an 'ok' time, but would have enjoyed a holiday in Florida better as Royal Caribbean ships are NOT for down to earth people, or those with very young kids.

The captain (Teo) didn't tell us that we were leaving Southampton early, so by the time I went out to watch us leaving, we were already about a mile away from the port!

Publication Date: 10/25/10