Norwegian Pearl Cruise Review by Valhala: Not again in this life

Not again in this life

Sail Date: September 2010
Destination: USA
Embarkation: Vancouver

I love cruising, so writing this is not something I am enjoying. We arrived early to check in and soon realized that we had been give the wrong information as to where to leave from, the cab ride to Ballentyne Pier was a extra $49.00. There were literally thousands of people there, in ever increasing line ups with many elderly people who really suffered with the nearly 3 hour wait. No one from NCL was available to talk to for the first 2 hours and by that time I and several others had assisted at least a dozen elderly people and pushed them to the front of the line up as we were worried about their not being able to withstand the wait.

Once on-board I was shocked at how dismal the band looked, it was as though they were being forced to be there and I do not remember seeing them again. We got shed of our carry on and went looking for food but we soon found there was no where near enough seating for everyone and while the food looked impressive a large percent of it was cold, More I waited 10 minutes for a coffee cup so I could get some coffee and leave????

Sadly, this was the pattern for the entire cruise, The staff with only a couple of exceptions hung around waiting for tips, Twice I ordered a Spanish style coffee and twice it came in a paper cup!!! We asked for coffee and bagels each morning from room service and each morning they got it very wrong and once the muffin that showed up with tomato juice was so stale it was laughable.

What bothered me more was the state of some of the washrooms, we were dining at the Summer Palace and I excused myself to go to the washroom and upon entering I slipped in a large amount of water and banged my arm and hit my head. I got up and I guess the lady who came in behind me was shocked and went and told the staff re the mess and what had happened (I had not had anything to drink at that point and did not even know that my husband had ordered a bottle of wine)but when the wine came to the table at the same time as I returned there was an inference by a staff member as to why I had fallen. There was no follow up to see I I was okay not even a call to our room.

The day trips were a lot of fun but the entertainment on the ship the first night was terrible thank goodness it improved.

During a Q & A time in the Spinaker lounge an elderly gent asked about the long wait when were were leaving Vancouver and I was disappointed when the cruise directors only comment was that it was not their fault that the dock people were inadequate and he should not let it ruin his trip when the old gut tried to explain that he had a heart condition the cruise director talked over him and went on to the next question. All in all not very fun and at times quite irritating Never Again!!!!! Less

Read more Norwegian Pearl cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Pearl Review >>

Great Day we wandered and went every where!

We went on a day trip tha NCL offered San Francisco was a lot of fun we did a lot,China town, Golden Gate and many other sites well worth the money

Astoria was great as well we did a tour had a great day!