Independence of the Seas Cruise Review by Trelawny Two: Just a bit too big for us...but we did have fun

Trelawny Two
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Independence of the Seas Europe - Western Mediterranean Cruises

Just a bit too big for us...but we did have fun

Sail Date: September 2010
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Southampton

Just recovered from a very nasty illness caught I'm sure from our neighbour who sneezed constantly without covering his face whist sitting on his balcony, this did rather spoilt the start of a long awaited and looked forward to cruise. My wife is disabled and we travelled with her mobility scooter (much to the annoyance of some of our fellow passengers who complained that the lifts were always full....use the stairs!) IOTS is a wonderful ship for disabled passengers, everywhere was accessible and the staff most helpful. Boarding at Southampton was simplicity itself and certainly a real change for me as a carer not having to struggle with luggage and looking after my wife. Our first experience of the Windjammer was good however after that it failed to impress every time, food was cold or just warm which can't be great for food safety, it was always packed full and not a pleasant experience. The main dining room (ours was King Lear, My Time Dining) was great, food lovely but a bit rich More sometimes, staff really helpful and attentive, met lovely people when we chose to share a table, we had a lot of fun. Ports were good and leaving the ship with a mobility buggy was simple even on tender days, nothing was too much trouble. Local taxi drivers inflated prices making using them unaffordable apart from our trip to Rome when John from RomeCabs made our tour an amazing and fun experience, one we shared with a fellow Cruise Critic member who was such a lovely lady, cannot recommend RomeCabs too much, fantastic service.

Getting back to the ship, I did find it too big at times and on poor weather days it was crowded, luckily we had a lovely cabin and was happy to chill in our stateroom. Far too many smoking areas on the ship, and sitting on the balcony sometimes was an unpleasant experience, as was walking along deck 11 where the smokers were given the undercover area, holding your breath was the only way to navigate through! Would I go again? possibly, the ship is great for my wife and the staff fantastic; would not go so late in the year as bad weather days did mean the ship was too busy. Take a couple of china cups with you as you only get nasty paper cups in your stateroom and they do not provide coffee, take your own! Less

Read more Independence of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Independence of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Independence of the Seas Superior Oceanview Stateroom Deck 7 6228

Cabin 6228 was lovely, spacious and comfortable, we took my wife's mobility scooter and were able to park outside the cabin during the day and had no problem storing inside at night. Bathroom great, shower powerful and hot, if you need a stool order in advance. Cabin attendant lovely, nothing too much trouble, removed our duvet on the first day and replaced with sheets and blankets as we were more comfortable with this arrangement. Take china cups and coffee as the paper cups are horrid!

Easy to get into town on foot and by mobility scooter, had a nice day

RCI do provide a disabled bus for $15 each, takes a mobility scooter with ease. Lisbon lovely and mostly accessible.

Read 281 Lisbon Reviews

Take a private taxi tour it's worth every penny, used RomeCabs, very professional and we had a lovely day, John our driver was great fun.

Nice town but you do need to take an excursion to see the island at its' best, minibus for wheelchair users takes you from the ship to the town.

Read 100 Sardinia Reviews

Cadiz lovely, however a long walk from the ship to he town which you cannot avoid, fully wheelchair accessible.

(3)
Rained this day! Take a tip, use the lift in the new port side shopping centre to the top floor then you find a level walkway to the old town, fully wheelchair/ scooter accessible. Nice town.
Read 205 Vigo Reviews

Travelled with my wife's mobility scooter, using the tender was easy but a bit scary as the tender staff were in a hurry to board everyone..my advise to scooter user, walk on and off if you can and let them carry the scooter. Villefranche lovely but no signage, found the lovely old town by mistake, follow the road up the hill towards Nice, there you will find the pedestrianised streets, well worth a visit. Taxi to Nice 40 euro each way, a real rip off1