Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by richbo: Carnival Conquest 10/10/2010 7 Night Western Caribbean

richbo
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Carnival Conquest Western Caribbean Cruises

Carnival Conquest 10/10/2010 7 Night Western Caribbean

Sail Date: October 2010
Embarkation: Galveston

I wanted to say I am a first time cruiser going with someone who has been on Carnival and Royal Caribbean, we did not have kids with us and I have traveled to many of the port locations prior to this cruise. I will try to break it down into paragraphs to help better relay my experience!

Embarkation: We flew down the day before embarkation and used texasairportcar.com/Duane Johnson for transportation from Houston Hobby to Galveston. Excellent car service, fair price, on time and very helpful! We stayed at the Harbour House next to the cruise terminal. Clean, well kept hotel, decent price and a great location next to cruise terminal. We walked to the terminal from Harbour House, approximately 1/2 mile walk to the terminal. Allowed a porter to take our bags at the cruise terminal entrance. We arrived at the terminal at about 11:15 CDT. We got into a line to go through the metal detector/security check for carry on bags and people. The total wait in line and clearing security was More about 30 minutes. We were directed to the Carnival Cruise check in agent to check our passports and register payment devices. We were done and ready to board the ship by 12:15 CDT. We got our welcome aboard pics and finished the check in process and was on board by 12:30CDT. I was impressed with the check in procedure. They check in allot of people in a short amount of time!

Room Assignment: We booked the cheapest rate and were assigned a class 4A room. The room was 7234. The room was small but clean and ready by 2:30CDT. The room was showing some age as the wear and tear was evident around the doors and sink in the bathroom. I found out very quickly, the fist night, that there is a big problem with the panels that make up the wall in the room incessantly rattling, LOUD RATTLING. When I was investigating how to fix the problem I noticed it must have been an ongoing problem as there was several wads of paper shoved between the panels and trim around the top of the room! I just added a few more which helped but didn't completely fix it, ever and was very frustrating! The room steward did an excellent job keeping the room clean, well stocked and always an interesting "towel animal" on the bed each night.

Dinning: The most disappointing part of the whole experience. The buffet line was by far the worst food I have experienced in my life! The food was never hot or even warm by my standards. In fact, I was concerned that it may have been even dangerous as food such as chicken was not kept warm enough to stop food borne illnesses from occurring! I overheard on numerous occasions people having the same opinion! The food stations that were serving fried foods and deli sandwiches were OK, at least the food was hot but about the same quality as you would find at any Six Flags, etc. We had early seating in the Renoir Dining Room. The menu was diverse and changed regularly. The food tasted OK, but again was never more than warm and even cold at times. The head waiter was attentive but his wait team was poor. It seemed to me that his team was new and was trying to learn the "ropes". The "entertainment" performances by the wait staff was absolutely ridiculous. They attempted to do prearranged dances to songs like "apple bottom jeans" by Nelly and it was just a disaster! Please Carnival don't continue this, its really degrading for everyone involved!

Entertainment: The new "Le Paris" show is entertaining and was much needed as I was told the same shows had been running on this ship for three years. The show "Point and Click" was outdated and needs to be replaced. They had a show featuring a professional juggler. The worst show by far I have ever seem anywhere! He was a very talented juggler but did very little juggling?! He did some comedy, introduced the band members one by one which they had already done on several occasions throughout the cruise, and about 10 minutes of juggling during a 40 minute show????!!!! The guest involved shows like the marriage game and battle of the sexes was cute and entertaining. The cruise was ended with a show called "Carnival Legends" which was a hand picked show of guests who had performed during various karaoke shows during the week. This was the most painful show experience I have ever sat through and have no idea why Carnival chooses to end the cruise shows with this?! The bands and singers throughout the ship were interesting. The bands in the different lounges were OK but a group of band mates from the Philippines is not not my thing. Some of the popular songs sung by these bands were really not meant to be sung by these artists?!

Overall impressions..... I wasn't impressed at any time and got really tired of them wanting to sell you something or charge you extra for something I should have a choice about! I met a really disgruntled employee, and he was not holding back about the treatment of employees by ship department managers and too many complaints from other cruisers on the ship about everything from not having hot water in their rooms and having to go to another room to shower too poor food and service overall. So what do I think, well you don't pay much so don't expect much or so I have been told?! Less

Read more Carnival Conquest cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Conquest Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Conquest Interior Empress 7234

Clean, well stocked, showing serious signs of wear and tear due to age. The wall panels rattle terrible! It was obvious that this is a problem and has been for some time due to amount of paper wads stuck between the wall panels and ceiling trim. I added some more to help out but didn't ever completely fix it!

(5.5)
We chose the 3 Reefs Snorkel and this was by for the best snorkel experience anywhere I have been. The group was smaller than Cayman which made it a little better to engage with the dive master and staff. The dive master, Monte, was the best dive master I have experienced anywhere! Monte was extremely knowledgeable and engaged every guest to make sure they were comfortable, understood what they were seeing and it couldn't have been a better experience. If you have never been snorkeling this is the place and this is the dive master to use! When we were done he served potato chips, cereal bars, soda and beer which was included in the price!

Read 3087 Cozumel Reviews

We went on the reef barrier snorkel trip as the Cayman Snuba was cancelled due to rough water. It was fun but a little crowded. The boat captain/dive master was informative and knowledgeable but didn't really go out of his way to make the experience any thing other than what it was advertised.

We didn't choose a specific excursion so we just got off the ship and took a car service to the centre city shopping in Montego Bay and then off to Margaritaville for lunch. Shopping was OK but crowded. Margaritaville was not good at all, poor service, bad food and all for a $60 lunch! Take the advice of the Carnival Shopping consultant and take a organized shopping/tour or you will be really disappointed. As a side note I will say that I never felt unsafe on my own anywhere in Montego Bay for those who are concerned about their safety in Jamaica.