MSC Fantasia Cruise Review by kalifornialady13: MSC is Not a Good Choice

MSC is Not a Good Choice

Sail Date: September 2010
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Barcelona

My husband and I were on the Fantasia ship for a short cruise in September. This was our second MSC cruise so we thought we knew what to expect as we had taken one before with 10 family members in the Caribbean two years ago. That cruise was not so good but we thought we should give them an other chance. We are seasoned cruisers (20 or more cruises) and thought perhaps the first one was a new area for them and we should try their part of the country before we made up our minds. First, we completely agree with the review by AP23 who was on our cruise too. Never met them which is surprising since there couldn't have been more than 15 American couples on the whole ship.

Second, the crew overall was not the friendliest to Americans. They obviously prefer the Italians. I always smiled, thanked whomever, and never complained the whole time when I had so much to complain about. The crew working the breakfast buffet were especially rude. When asking for coffee one day, the gentleman More who was serving it, kept telling me to get my own cup from a table. They were pretty much gone around our area and I reported that and he still insisted that I get one elsewhere (while there were some in his cabinet). I searched for 5 minutes all the way to the other side of the dining room and came back with one. Unbelievable. I am fairly spry and in good condition for my age but there were some older people that were never helped with their trays to the table. I helped some myself as I was concerned they would either fall or drop their trays as they were somewhat disabled.

The ship is absolutely beautiful and the rooms were great. The gentleman who was the porter for the rooms was good. Probably the only really nice one on the ship. I agreed that it was terrible to have to pay for coffee all the time. I have never been on a ship wherein they didn't provide ice tea and coffee for free during the lunch hour and dinner. I also resented paying the 15 Euros a piece for us to get to the port in the France port. We have paid 5 Euros before on a Princess to do the same distance. That was "highway" robbery.

I do have one compliment. The medical office and doctor were extremely friendly and nice. I have a rare disease that decided to exhibit itself during the cruise and the doctor was most helpful and provided the medication I needed. He also made me write down the disease name so he could research it as he had never heard of it.

One big complaint on my part is the lack of information provided you for the visited ports. Their paper would have one paragraph on the port (the rest was about what was happening on the ship for that day) Every other ship I have sailed with (which is probably all of the lines) alwlays would provide a map of the city or village visited with information on what to see. We were blind as to where to go and where we were going without a map.

I do need to say, we will never ever book a MSC cruise again. We gave it the second chance and it was worse than the first one. I recommend that others think twice before booking a MSC cruise. We all work hard for our money and don't need to be so disappointed and feel badly about a supposedly happy event as cruising. I strongly urge you to listen to AP23 and myself. I don't care what the others are saying. I am always positive and always do the best I can with whatever is presented to me. On MSC it was harder than ever to do so. Less

Read more MSC Fantasia cruise reviews >>