Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by MOHAVE: Solo single on the Splendor

Solo single on the Splendor

Sail Date: October 2010
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

I had room 1083 right behind the big screen TV. I never heard a peep out of the big screen and I only hear one set of adults being loud in the corridor. It was extremely quite up there for a cruise ship and I was hugely pleased with the room. Very large and comfortable for a solo person. That was for a cruise I just finished last week. I have cabin number 1077 for this cruise in Oct of 2011. That (the cruise this thread is about) is exactly one year and one week from the one I just finished. That's about 355 days away. LOL.

I'm an avid outdoors-man but I was still a little anxious to head out into the streets of Mexico on my own. I met a very young couple in Long Beach as they were getting off and I was just starting my cruise and they said that one of the best adventures they'd ever had was the Extreme Canopy in Puerto Vallarta. I remembered them saying that and I signed up on ship the night before that port on a whim. They met us with signs just as we stepped off the ship. More We took a speed boat all the way across Banderas Bay. We went ashore at a tiny but absolutely charming and beautiful traditional sleepy spanish fishing village. We boarded WWII Mercedes troop carrier 4-wheel drive trucks and slogged up a very steep cobblestone road as far as the jeep/truck could carry us into the Sierra Madre Mountains then we saddled up on mules for as far as the mules could carry us then we hiked to the top of the mountain. That adventure was absolutely a blast....and then we did the zip line....or 10 zip lines and 2 rappels back down to the 4 wheel drive trucks then back down to the beach/fishing village where most drank as many iced down Coronas as they could down before the speed boat took us back to the ship. I can't wait to do the same next year.

In Mazatlan I got braze and struck out on my own. I walked to the waterfront to the $2 water taxi based on directions I read on the Internet. Went over to the "Island" which isn't an island and walked over some rocks until the grass huts appeared where I found ATVs, restaurants with sand floors that served Coconut Shrimp, and Randi of Randis Happy Horses....who was telling her story of being an Expat and basically a bail-out from the hustle and bustle of American city life...for the price of an ice cold Margarita at 11AM. I ate my shrimp then rented an ATV and went south on the beach for at least 25 miles and never saw another human being. When I came back across the water taxi I asked a taxi driver if he had ever heard of the Huicholes Indians? He said but shop owner in Old Mazatlan had and pointed me to a small place that sold there art. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huichol and I bought some of their wonderful art.

Originally I had intended to watch the sunup and sun down on the ship everyday and just poke around town while in ports but the two grand adventures I stumbled upon in the previous ports lent to a search for a third in Cabo. And I found it. This is me doing that. Less

Read more Carnival Splendor cruise reviews >>