Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by GEOBURG

Embarkation: Los Angeles
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Cabin Category: 8A

A Wonderful Time
This is the second Mexican Riviera Cruise we have done (Both trips on Carnival, but on different ships) We loved them both!

The Splendor is a beautiful vessel, once you get use to the pink decor. And it is pink. But after a little while you don't notice it that much. I really liked the layout of the ship. We were on Deck 6 aft, right over the Piano bar. I never had problems with noise, but then we were often up late anyway. The cabin was perfect for us. One flight down to the Promenade Deck (Which we were on most nights) and just 3 decks up to the Lido Deck Which is where we were during the day (At least on our Fun Days at Sea)

Everything from start to finish, was very smooth and easy. As with anything of this size & scope, there were a few minor annoyances. But considering the huge organizational aspects that go into a Cruise, of course, a few little things slip through the cracks. But that's OK, just smile, understand & have a drink- it will work out. As with the previous Cruise, the crew was wonderfully friendly and very helpful. What little problems that came up were well taken care of. And that's all one can ask for.

I guess the only two critiques I would have are: First- the little bright white lights on the main Atrium stairs can make you a little bug eyed, especially late at night. I was not the only person to comment about them. Maybe make them a little dimmer or change the color (Not Pink please:) The other thing was, I wish they would have played less Hip-Hop and Rap at the Red Carpet Lounge. After 11:00 pm it was basically the only place to go dancing and I guess, I'm just a bit to old for a true appreciation of that sound. I also, noticed that with the exception of one night, the club was relatively dead. I believe it was due to the music choices. Since there were more of us 40 & 50 year olds running around then the 20 & 30 group. I'm not sure that the music was right for the crowed. (But then I am a bit bias)

One thing I really applaud Carnival for, is that they restricted smoking in a lot of the areas that on our first cruise allowed smoking (Like the Piano Bar ) Now, keep in mind I am a smoker, yet it's nice not to constantly be engulfed in smoke. It was not a hardship in anyway, to go out on deck or to go to a smoking section when I wanted a cigarette. So I'm glad Carnival changed their policy.

We met a group of wonderful people, some of which we are planning to cruise with again. I had heard that this happens with people that have met on board, and for us it did. The Crew were fantastic, as was the Ship. The food, in general, was good as expected and we did do the Steakhouse Restaurant on one night and it was 5 stars. To me, certainly worth the extra $.

Also we did two excursions that were great-the first in Puerto Vallarta was the Extreme Canopy(Done through the Ship), which was a lot of fun , very exciting and safe. You don't have to be Indiana Jones to do it , yet you will feel like him when you are done. And in Mazatlan we did Randi's Happy Horses (Set up on our own) also a fun and exciting time. I would highly recommend both. In Cabo, we just beached it. I have to admit we were getting a little burnt out by then and needed a restful beach day.

So basically, in conclusion, all I can say is that Cruising with Carnival has surpassed expectations on both occasions. As with most everything, ultimately it comes down to your own attitude which will determined how good the experience is. The Crew and the Ship will do everything in it's power to give you a good time. The rest is up to you.

Publication Date: 10/19/10