Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by SummerLover: My week on the Epic October 9th- 16th

SummerLover
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Norwegian Epic Eastern Caribbean Cruises

My week on the Epic October 9th- 16th

Sail Date: October 2010

I just got back last night. :)

I went on this cruise in a single studio to celebrate a friends birthday, leaving my son and husband at home alone. I had a single inside studio room, which i believe only NCL do and I LOVED IT. It would not have been big enough if my family had joined me, but as a pseudo single, it was perfect. It was cosy and cool, had a lovely insulated feel, the bed OH SOOOO SUPER comfortable (a queen) with 4 pillows and 3 extra cushions...nice. ask for a sheet if you are a "hot" sleeper cos the duvet/ doona/ comforter are VERY warm. I had an adjoining door with my friends sister who also loved her room. The room had lots of little cubby holes and big baskets as well as room under the bed for bags etc.. I had trouble finding out how the lights worked (you have to put your room key in the slot as you walk in) but once I figured that out, I had fun playing with all the light options. daylight, romantic, changing from blue to green to red. FUN! I had no trouble More with the sink, as it was really a fine size. (I heard it was bigger than in the state room?)same with shower. I didn't do a tour of other rooms so I don't know if the sinks are as bad as Id heard. the singles also share a little meeting place, which is stocked with snacks ands you can get a light cereal breakfast there. Finding your way into the middle of the ship confused some people and I heard some grumbling, but once you know where to go, its very private and mostly quiet. Our steward was Daka and he was wonderful.

I ate mostly at the buffet which I enjoyed and was varied. they do a GREAT job of breakfast. This is the time to stock up on juices for the day, after 10.30 its only iced tea and water. it was sometimes hard to find a table for a group. Taste and the Manhattan room are the freebie restaurants. The food in them is the SAME in both, but has a daily menu to choose from that has specialties. Our lobster night was Wednesday. I was on a budget so didn't try the extra paid restaurants except for Cirque where the food was OK, the show good. perhaps a bit too much preamble we had 6 squished into a booth and an obstructed view, but they do move about a lot.. (Keep an eye out for the electric fiddler and the dishwasher.... mmmmmmmmmmm)

My biggest dislike about this cruise, was honestly the size of the pools...there are only 3 for really public use and 2 for families cos Spices H2O is for adults only and they are honestly just TOO small for that many people. the slides and kids water areas are great, but for pure lazing in water, the pools come up short. I paid $30 for a day pass to the spa area which was truly heavenly. lovely bubbling heated pools, and fountains of water streaming for an impromptu massage, hot tubs, steam room. Yum. Best $30 I spent.

The smoking. Well its disgusting and everywhere.... really a disappointment.

The photos. take a SINGLE photo of yourself as you board, for the facial recognition and don't expect too much from it. they are still working out the kinks obviously.

OVERALL. I had an AWESOME time on this cruise. I REALLY enjoyed it. if it was smoke free it would be perfect! Less

Read more Norwegian Epic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Epic Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Epic 12519

Studio is perfect for ONE cosy and cool, lovely insulated feel, the bed SUPER comfortable (a queen) with 4 pillows and 3 extra cushions. ask for a sheet if you are a "hot" sleeper blankets are VERY warm. The room had lots of little cubby holes and big baskets as well as room under the bed for bags etc I had trouble finding out how the lights worked (you have to put your room key in the slot as you walk in) good lighing options. daylight, romantic, changing from blue to green to red. I had no trouble with the sink, as it was really a fine size. (I heard it was bigger than in the state room?)same with shower. the singles also share a little meeting place, which is stocked with snacks ands you can get a light cereal breakfast there. Finding your way into the middle of the ship confused some people. very private and mostly quiet. VERY narrow hallways

wow.. talk about the hard sell.... watch out for string market. its a bustling metropolis of people trying to sell you the same stuff. Its crazy. The Atlantis hotel is pretty but you cant see much is you don't have a day pass. we did a small private tour again off shore and was 20 pp. look for Charlie as you get shuttled thru the doors. He hold a placard showing you all the places he will show you and he was lovely. Took us thru the "hood" as one woman called it as well as the more expensive homes. we went to Fort Charlotte and the Queens steps. (it took 16 years with 600 slaves working 365 to dig it out. amazing..... it is so big it will break your heart to think of it that way)

Read 2629 Nassau Reviews

a gorgeous, picturesque place. we took a local bus to Magans Bay, and only paid $8 each way and $4 to enter the beach, versus the 60-70ish for the NCL tour. When you get to the beach, walk or canoe to the VERY FAR LEFT END (looking at the beach) to see tarpin and pelicans feeding off the beach.. amazing! We rented a double canoe for $30 and saw them up close, even had the little silver fish that are so en-mass we thought they were sea grass, jump into our canoe!!!! don't fall for just staying by the most populated areas. walk all the way down. look for the birds circling. Not to be missed.

was OK. we took a private tour to some snorkeling but the "reef" if you can call it that, was way over worked and not terribly alive.. I would go to Maho beach next time and see the planes landing. either way there's a bit of a drive involved. shopping at the port was fun

Read 2325 St. Thomas Reviews