Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by Cindi K

Service Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated
Rates 5+

Explorer of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean
We just returned from a wonderful cruise on the Explorer. Previous cruise was on Enchantment of the Seas. Explorer is a huge ship though not so big that you would get lost. The staff was ultra-friendly, the ship was clean and very well designed.

We had all of our dinners in the Columbus dining room and were very pleased with the service, the food quality and choices. We had breakfasts and lunches in the Windjammer except for one lunch at Johnny Rockets. The Windjammer food was varied and was fine. The desserts were especially good! As I said, we had lunch at Johnny Rockets and were pleased with the food quality. We left feeling overly stuffed and hardly any appetite for dinner. My husband really liked the jukebox at the table that takes nickels (provided by the waiter) so he could listen to oldies! There is now a cover charge of $3.95 per person plus a charge if you order milkshakes, beer or soda. We still thought it was pretty darn good. I don't think I could've eaten there more than once though.

We went to the fitness center a few times. They have a lot of great equipment, similar to the gym we belong to. It tends to be quiet in the evening but I noticed early mornings are crowded.

Ports of Call: We were unhappy with San Juan. We arrived on election day and most things were closed. Didn't feel safe. In the future, I would schedule an excursion though there is little time when the ship arrives at 2:00 p.m. We loved St. Maarten. We only shopped, but we really shopped! Had lots of fun. Many friendly people on this island. We would love to go back and spend more time exploring. Really beautiful!! The shopping area is undergoing construction at this time - they are placing pavers in the main drive. No big deal. St. Thomas was another shopping experience - lots of great deals. Again would like to explore the island on a future cruise. Nassau was the pits and not worth getting off the ship. Again, there is probably more to this island if you were to get on an excursion and explore. Many lessons learned!!

This was my husband's first cruise and he felt uneasy with the movement of the ship for the first couple of days. It really was hardly noticeable to me. We had a balcony cabin which was divine. Our cabin was small, especially the shower. I had to be creative to shave my legs - there is no way you can bend over in the shower. Really no big deal. There was plenty of room to store purchases, luggage and everything else we brought in, which was amazing.

We really spent the majority of our days just relaxing in the Solarium, or on a lounge chair somewhere in the shade, sipping frozen drinks. It was the most relaxing vacation ever! Some people stay on the go constantly, but we chose this time to just sit back and enjoy being pampered. No cares except to be to dinner on time. The interesting thing is that with over 3,000 people on the ship, there were only a few times when there were crowds. People tend to spread out and do whatever in different places. There were very few children on the cruise with us - at least we didn't notice.

My husband and I are looking forward to another cruise - but it will only be with RCCL! We loved it!

Publication Date: 11/22/04