Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by Mawelch

Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Entertainment 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

Oasis of the Seas Lived up to my expecations
Pre Cruise- We live in Orange Park Florida and decided to drive down to Ft Lauderdale the day before our cruise. We stayed at the Comfort Inn Airport. Not a real flashy hotel, but it served our purpose and what we liked about it we were able to leave our car and the hotel shuttled us to and from the pier. Rooms were reasonable and clean.

Embarkation: We arrived at the port at 10:45 AM. Easiest embarkation I have ever experienced. Since my husband was using a scooter due to an injured foot we went through the line then we were told to go where the Platinum members were waiting to board. Once they were called we followed behind. We were on the ship and enjoying ourselves by 11:10.

We had an interior handicap cabin. Room 6149, was huge. I have never been in an interior cabin quite as large. We had plenty of plugs in our room, not sure if that was because it was a handicap room. Storage and closet space was more than adequate. Since my husband and I were both celebrating our birthdays our family had our room decorated and a flower cake delivered. The cake was beautiful and just as fresh on the final day as it was on the first. Hated to leave it there when we departed. Our first stop once on board was the Park Cafe. We just had to experience the roast beef sandwiches. They didn't let us down. They were wonderful. Toured the ship to get familiar. Easiest ship to navigate around even though it is large. The interactive boards near the elevators were fantastic. You could never get lost. The easiest thing for me to remember was that our room was in the front of the ship as well as all the entertainment and the food was in the back of the ship. We were in our rooms by 1:00 no problem. Our luggage was delivered shortly after wer go in our room. Was totally unpacked and everything put away before the life boat drill. The life boat drill was a snap. We went to the Vitality Spa for ours. Showed a short film on putting on your life jackets and it was over. It was great not to have to stand on deck in a life jacket.

We had early dinner seating at 6:00. Our waiter was Juanito who was fantastic. He could do enough for us. While on the ship we found out that he was promoted to head waiter. Way to go! Food in the dining room was terrific. Only had one meal that was not as good as should have been. On Thursday night which was a formal night we had lobster. My brother in laws lobster was mushy (only his). They offered to get him another one, but he opted for a prime rib instead. Menu had a good variety each night.

Boardwalk area was nice. Road on the carousel made me feel like a kid again. Johnny Rocks was awesome for breakfast, did not use it for lunch or dinner. We also went to the Seafood Shack for lunch. Food was good, but I probably would not go back. Just about everything is fried.

We ate at Giovanni's Table and Chops Grill. Both were outstanding and well worth the cost. Really glad we did both restaurants. Windjammer was OK for lunch, but we also ate at the Wipeout Cafe. They have the best pretzel dogs. I am originally from Philly so the taste of the soft pretzel over the hot dog was great. This is something you need to try. Late nights I was always at the Promenade Cafe. The coffee and Tea was wonderful, but they had the best small crescent sandwiches like ham and cheese etc. They also had desserts all free. My husband went to Sorrento's nightly for his pizza fix. He enjoyed it. You are never at a loss for free food 24/7. Never used room service. This was the first time I didn't. Always got in the room around 2:30-3:30 in the morning and by that time all I wanted to do was sleep.

Activities: The Aqua show was fantastic. This is the best show I have ever seen. You have to appreciate the skill involved with the divers. Royal Caribbean has really outdone itself with this show. Suggest you schedule this on your first night onboard just in case they have difficulty with the show. That way you can get it scheduled on a different night. Went to the comedy show which was good. Their comedy club will only hold about 40-50 people for each sitting. Great shows 2 comedians each time. Once you seen it the same show is repeated each evening. Hairspray was OK for me, just wasn't my thing. The come Fly with Me show was great, don't miss it. Headline show was booked, but we missed it because it conflicted with other things I wanted to do. Sorry I missed it head it was great. Make sure you make your reservations before you go so you won't be disappointed. Ice show Frozen in Time was good. They had a sand sculpture that was awesome.

Casino: What can I say it took my money, but it was fun. People we winning all around me wish I had some of their luck. Of course my husband sits down pulls the leaver and wins $200 like that. He loved rubbing that in. They have a nightly lottery drawing which was neat. Played in the slot tournament on the final sea day it was really fun. Came in 4th, they gave money prices for the top 3, Plus the winner got a 7 night cruise for 2 on Liberty of the Seas for the $50,000 slot tournament.

Bingo was fun, but expensive. $55.00 got you a machine with 30 cards. Most of the time they played 4 games of bingo. Prizes for each game ran from about $150 for the first game to $400 for the 3rd of course the final game was the jackpot which did not go off till the last sea day. In my humble opinion if you didn't play a machine your chances were slim. Never won, but I did have a great time.

Played lots of trivia which was fun. Purchased a Live the Oasis book and each day they picked a neighborhood and had trivia on it. Kind of like a scavenger hunt it was lots of fun the final trivia was actually a game show called Live the Oasis. Books were $12.99.

The cruise director Richard Spacey was the GREATEST!!!! He helped make my cruise enjoyable. He and his staff were wonderful. The dancing in the street party on the promenade was loads of fun. They just made you want to participate in activities. Richard has videos he shows on the TV they are so funny. You can preview them on You-Tube just go to Oasis of the Seas or Richard Spacey and you can find them.

Tried to do the lip-lining, but chickened out. Couldn't get my feet to lift off the ground. Made the mistake of looking down. Folks were having a blast doing it and usually the line was not very long. The miniature golf was OK, but not as good as the one on the Voyager of the Seas.

Never went to the donut shop or the ice cream parlor. Folks that did said they were good.

The clubs were always full of people at night till 3:00 in the morning. Everyone was having fun. There is something for everyone.

Did the Cupcake Cupboard for the class. Lots of fun and I learned some neat things well worth the $19.00.

Pool area: Never really used the regular pool area. Went to the Solarium pool on sea days it was quiet and peaceful. Also had breakfast at the Solarium bistro for breakfast. Healthy and good.

Ports of Call: My husband did the tequila tasting in Cozumel and enjoyed it very much other than that we never left the ship except to walk around the shops at the ports. This whole cruise to me was about the ship and I was not disappointed one bit.

Debarkation was a snap. Off the ship before you know it.

Overall this was one of the best cruises were have ever taken.

The ship had very few children on it and it never seemed crowded except for the night of the two parades and the dancing in the street. That is when you realized there were over 8,000+ people on board. Wish I would have done a back to back on this ship. Just not enough time to do everything I wanted to do. Would I do it again? You bet! I know I have left out a lot so if you have questions concerning the ship, activites, restaurants etc, or want more information about my cruise feel free to contact me at maggiedp@comcast.net

Publication Date: 10/17/10