Crown Princess Cruise Review by jallie60

Crown Princess
Crown Princess
Member Name: jallie60
Cruise Date: September 2010
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Canada & New England
Cabin Category: E
See More About: Crown Princess Cruise Reviews | Canada & New England Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals

Bagpipes, kilts and pomme frites
This was my first cruise on Princess and I was really looking forward to it as friends had recommnded them and I expected good service. We flew to New York with BA and had an excellent flight and passed through US immigration quite smoothly. However once we got outside to the meeting place there was an air of discontent as the transfer to the coaches to the ship was taking a long time and was not well organised. We waited half an hour or so to board a coach but didn't leave the airport for another 20 minutes as we went to another terminal to pick up some more passengers and then drove back to original terminal to drop off the tour representative. I had been disappointed when our embarkation point had been confirmed as Brooklyn not New York as originally stated but the view of the Statue of Liberty from our cabin made up for that. We stood up on deck as the ship left New York and loved the view. The stops on this trip were interesting although I probably won't ever go back to St John's in New Brunswick again but I know some people were diappointed that the stop in Newport was changed to New London a quaint little place but not thrilling. I was very happy with our cabin, most of the food was very good although the Horizon Court could be a bit of a scrum at times and the staff and other passengers all very friendly. We did anytime dining and this worked out really well so long as you avoided the 7 30ish rush. I really enjoyed the Cole Porter show and one of the comedians who did a great show about ageing. My comment about good but could be better was largely prompted by the disembarkation process which was chaotic.

We were being taken to Montreal from Quebec - left the ship at 9 30am for a flight at 9.40pm. When we got on the coach it was clear that no one had a clue about what was happening on the transfer and that everyone was on different flights. One couple had a nuch earlier flight and they were concerned about the plan announced by the guide on the coach for a 2 hour stop in Montreal. We did have a short stop in Montreal but didn't make the best of this as we had no guides or maps and so people were reluctant to go to far from the coach. When we got to the airport I spoke to a Princess rep who didn't inform people that the BA check in desk would not be open for another hour and a half. Seating was limited and food expensive. I have written to Princess to compalin about this process which cast a shadow over the holiday but two weeks later have not received a reply. Would I recommend Princess yes if it didn't involve a flight! Also the tour administration on the boat was very poor so I would say do your homework before you go and book some independent trips! I think you will see more and pay less.

Publication Date: 10/17/10