Norwegian Star Cruise Review by Spotlight 99: First cruise ever with husband and teenagers

Spotlight 99
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Norwegian Star Alaska Cruises

First cruise ever with husband and teenagers

Sail Date: September 2010
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

Alaska did not disappoint - the weather was at times cold and rainy (as expected for late September) but the scenery was outstandingly beautiful. We stayed in an AB penthouse on the Star, and loved the cabin. It was spacious, comfortable, quiet, and we really appreciated the suite perks. Everything worked as expected and we had no complaints.

The staff were great and always responded quickly and cheerfully to our requests. We booked online through an NCL personal cruise consultant who was also very responsive, replying to each of my emails within 24 hours. No complaints about any of the staff before or during the cruise.

We met the senior staff at the CC meet and greet on the first day at sea, and they were very keen to assure us that we should let them know if we had a problem and not keep it to ourselves on the ship, only to vent later on the internet. That's fine insofar as it relates to problems that can be fixed on the spot, but of course some complaints relate More to much wider systemic issues that are beyond the ability of the ship staff to fix. So I thought it a little disingenuous of them to bemoan the tendency of passengers to complain on the internet but not to them. Having said that, I did get the impression that if we had had an immediate problem on the ship, they would have done their best to fix it.

This brings me to the issue of the food. It ranged from mediocre to good. It was never great. We ate mostly in the specialty restaurants - I didn't like the look of the buffet at all, and our one meal at Versailles was by far the worst we encountered. It is unrealistic to expect a truly gourmet experience considering the numbers that have to be catered to and the cost we were paying.

I wasn't upset about having to pay extra for the nice food, because, really, the cruise is not expensive. You are paying from around $100 to $200 per person per night, and that includes accommodation, transport and entertainment. For that sort of money, the food is going to be basic. Another factor is the vast quantities of food on offer. Maybe if portions were smaller, or fewer courses offered (three courses for both lunch and dinner is a lot of food) then quality could improve. But I understand that other passengers have different priorities and presumably NCL knows its customer base pretty well.

Other things that others have complained about we just ignored - the bingo, the art sales, the shopping seminars ... there was no hard sell to attend any of these and we found it easy to filter out everything we weren't interested in.

I am very aware that much of what we liked about our experience on the ship was a direct result of being able to afford the suite and the specialty restaurants. I imagine it would be a different experience altogether if you were on a stricter budget. Overall though, I still thought the cruise was reasonable value. It is much cheaper than staying at a five star resort.

Our only sour note came after we got home and realised we had left some personal items in the cabin. I emailed NCL in the (probably) vain hope that they have some sort of system for returning lost property, and have not even had the courtesy of a response. NCL if you are reading this, and I think you must be, there is no point spending so much effort on customer relations during the cruise, only to ignore them once it is over. People do remember this sort of thing and yes, they will vent about it on the internet. Less

Read more Norwegian Star cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Star Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Star 11550

No complaints about this cabin, it was spacious, comfortable and quiet. Everything was in good working order.

Juneau is a very pretty town, quite small for a State capital and we were surprised there is no road access, so the only way in or out is by air or sea.

We took the bus to the Mendenhall Glacier, at $14.00 return. The visitor's centre was OK, the highlight was the walk to the waterfall that is just across from the glacier. It's an easy walk, and very beautiful.

After the walk we found an internet cafe where we caught up on emails and news generally.

Then we had dinner at a restaurant called Zephyr which was fantastic.

Read 841 Juneau Reviews

Ketchikan is a very cute and picturesque town. We did the Bering Sea crab fisherman's tour. They did a great job, despite truly terrible weather. The tour was much more interesting than I thought it would be.

After the tour we did a little shopping and had lunch at a seafood cafe in one of the bigger buildings near the dock. The four of us shared a seafood platter which was wonderful - so good to try the crab legs after seeing how they are caught and they were really yummy.

I had read a lot of complaints about Prince Rupert, that there's not much there. It's a working port town and not as geared to tourists as the other Alaskan ports. Personally, I see this as a good thing.

We did a kayaking tour and were blessed with a sunny windless day. The kayaking was really beautiful, on water that was like glass. A couple of locals had come down to join the group and we had a very long conversation with one of them that was extremely interesting.

The guides caught some crabs and headed back to shore to barbecue them - gosh there is nothing as yummy as freshly caught seafood. Then on the way back to the ship the guide drove us all over the town and talked a lot about various local issues.

If the weather had not been so good I can see that Prince Rupert doesn't have much to do but our experience was wholly positive.

Skagway is a cute historical town, of all the Alaskan ports we visited it had the most intact streetscape. Sadly our bushwalking tour was cancelled due to weather and as a second option we took the White Pass railway, which was great, beautiful scenery, I just hadn't wanted to sit for another three hours after being on the ship.

We also did a free walking tour of the historical sites that was organised through the tourist info centre next to the museum. This was very interesting.

The shopping was mostly jewellery stores and souvenirs (just like Ketchikan and Juneau) but we did find an interesting old wares shop where I found the best bargain of our trip - original 1902 postcards of Skagway and surrounds at $2 each.

We had lunch at the Red Onion, in a building that used to be a brothel. The waitresses are dressed up as Gold Rush era prostitutes (think 19th century version of Hooters). The food was surprisingly good given the gimmicky surroundings.

Read 645 Skagway Reviews