Carnival Valor Cruise Review by SusieQ4U: What a FUN SHIP

Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Carnival Valor Western Caribbean Cruises

What a FUN SHIP

Sail Date: October 2010

I traveled October 3-10 on the Carnival Valor's Western Caribbean cruise from Miami and had the TIME OF MY LIFE! I was traveling with a group of individuals from my hometown who were all roughly in the same age group as me. We had many seasoned travelers and a few first-timers.

While the opportunity existed, I suppose, to sit back and relax on this ship we chose to avail ourselves of many of the games, activities, etc. on the ship. It was FABULOUS. I couldn't wait to get up each morning and see what we were going to be doing.

Rough seas did make tender ports difficult and I heard that they quit tendering sometime around noon to Grand Cayman.

We probably had the best time at the Isla Roatan, Honduras stop. A large percentage of our group went to the Clip-N-Zip zipline center which is to the left and all the way down once you get into port. What fun that was! And only $40!

Then we had a BLAST in "Fat Tuesdays" and met a large group that was also More in port that day from Carnival's "Dream".

Belize was another amazing stop on our trip with some amazing snorkeling! Soooo many excursion options available right when you get on the dock.

On the boat itself it seemed like there was always something going on. Contests by the pool, music everywhere, dancing, singing, you name it you could do it. I took some golf lessons on the ship to in the "golf cage" up top. The Golf Pro, David Layton, was AWESOME. He *really* did help my golf swing in one very great hour lesson! Plus it was just kind of neat to be up on the top of this ship, staring out at the ocean, hitting golf balls. :-)

I was so BUSY on this cruise that about half of the time I forgot to eat! I actually LOST TWO POUNDS on this trip! I was afraid of gaining weight after hearing so many stories of that happening on cruise ships. I was never hungry and when I forgot and missed a meal there was always pizza or room service meals available. I think the favorite food I ate was the Fish N Chips from up above the lido deck. They served a lot of stuff at that station but the plain old "Fish N Chips" was some of the best fish I've had in quite some time.

I've not been home a full week yet but I wake up every morning, still, laughing over some memory or other of this trip. I am having a different kind of "sea sickness" now and if I could, I'd board that boat again this Sunday for the same trip.

The cruise starts with a fun filled day at sea and then the four stops are all right in a row making for a go-go-go kind of week.

So if you want an action-packed fun-filled week hop on board the Carnival Valor! Less

Read more Carnival Valor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Valor Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Valor Oceanview Riviera 1417

Our cabin was near an elevator, which was sometimes handy. Next time I'd want to be on the OTHER end of the ship, though, closer to the lido deck rather than the adult-only area. Easiest way to get across the ship from this room seemed to be go up the elevator to the Lido deck, walk shorter distance to other side, take elevator back down. Plenty of storage in the room, nice view from the window, not a lot of noise.

I was thrilled with Belize City. Nice shopping and a GREAT excursion by "EcoTours" the shirts said "wet n wild adventures". Fantastic guides on this excursion and AMAZING snorkeling from a small private island. Or, if you wanted, you could just hang out on the beach of the private island. But I wouldn't miss the snorkeling if I were you! Some of the best I've ever done!

Cozumel was hit or miss depending on what you wanted to do. LOTS of other ships in port and crowded, but we had a great time.

Stop by Three Amigos for a pitcher of beer before re-boarding!

Good shopping -- the best shopping is had at either end of the port.

Read 3120 Cozumel Reviews

I left Grand Cayman with a real estate book in my hand, ready to move there!

Very "touristy" port and feels rather American. We took a taxi to "Hell" to send postcards home and that was fun and had a few drinks in Margaritaville.

Great shopping here, too, especially for inexpensive costume type jewelry and very friendly folks.

Nice golf, here, too!

(5.5)
If you want to try a zipline, this is the place to do it. Go to Clip-N-Zip, ask for Erick, and have the time of your life. It's kind of a "beginners" zipline and I promise you that the scariest part is getting up the hill to the first line.

It's incredible fun, inexpensive, and an experience you shouldn't miss.

Then head over to Fat Tuesday's and try a 180 Octane. Awesome fun.

The port is full of the usual shops, too, and everything is nice, clean, orderly, and all of the workers are friendly. Loved this stop!

Read 1649 Roatan Reviews