“Ship of Light, Ship of Thrill”
Cruise review of Costa Luminosa

sydphilcruiser Costa Luminosa 4 Ship of Light, Ship of Thrill
sydphilcruiser
Member Since 2009
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
The ship was all it claimed to be! We were pleasantly surprised as we just sailed a few days ago on Costa Victoria and this one was indeed awesome!

From the entrance to the main plaza, it was gleaming! A giant Buddha like figure was the centrepiece aside from the glittering lights around the ship! The chocolate bar soon became my youngest son's fave hang out. He even got us to buy him a souvenir mug as a reminder of his happy days at this place. It helps that staff here were always friendly and accommodating!

Facilities wise, what can I say, it is all tops at this ship!Very luxurious as it was relatively new, christened as we heard just in 2009. So it was a great experience!

Food was also great, but sometimes it was a bit tedious for us coming from Costa Victoria which had similar menus. We could guess what food was going to be served especially for brekky. Anyhow, we still enjoyed our meals there!

Special mention to the staff, our MAitre D at the Dining Room, who spwered us with lots of special treats, even a bottle of wine and most especially memorable as they helped make my husband's 50th birthday a very unforgettable event- complete with a slightly bigger chocolate cake than usual and singing the birthday song with other waiters too! Also, I got a rose at it was also Mother's Day that Day, a double treat for us!

A few times I tried to escape dinners but alas! I was sent food- several dishes in my room! So thoughtful those people!

The ports we visited were equally pleasantly delightful for us- never did we hear about Vigo or Cadiz much before but we thoroughly enjoyed those Spanish ports!

The only negative criticism we could give was that the no smoking ban is not very much implemented in the lounges especially so it was annoying to still inhale the poisonous fumes from many people there. They were cunny enough to pick up ash trays with them and just put it on tables they like so it wasn;t effective- that of allowing only those tables with ash trays as smoking areas. They should just be vanished to the outside of the ship and in one side only!

So much for progress in the developed world!

Re other passengers- we found that many Italians were a bit pushy for our taste. They seemed to think they owned the ship and liked to push in in lines! Even the tour guides confirmed this, they too noticed those people were a bit uncooperative and pushy!

Costa Luminosa Cruises to the Western Mediterranean
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review:

I1
Well maintained cabins, plenty of cupboard/clothing spaces,helpful stewards.

Port
Great port, love the people! We enjoyed Gaudi's Guell Park and also the ride around the city! Our taxi driver was very helpful. The 80 Euros we paid for all four of us in our family for several hours were worth it that we even gave him a tip of 10 euros more!

Read 1,383 Barcelona Reviews
Port
We went to the OCeanario which was outstanding -variety of collection and quite organised! We thoroughly enjoyed our visit there. However, around Lisbon city centre was different! In spite of the rains, I could smell urine in the side walks and a bit dirty in the streets! We enjoyed looking at the palace and a park but not really happy here! Bad vibes I think!

Read 513 Lisbon Reviews
Port
It is an enchanting place for us. It helps that it was Sunday when we were there so not many people around! But we enjoyed the parks and the city centre too! We also had Spanish chocolates and eclairs to celebrate my husband's birthday! People were friendly to us! We shopped for shoes (surprisingly many small sizes just right for me,LOL!)My son also got t-shirts for him, reasonable prices too!

Read 342 Vigo Reviews
Published 10/12/10
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Costa Luminosa Review
Costa Luminosa Cruises to the Western Mediterranean
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?