Veendam Cruise Review by ammagic

Veendam
Veendam
Member Name: ammagic
Cruise Date: September 2010
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Bermuda
Cabin Category: S
See More About: Veendam Cruise Reviews | Bermuda Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals
Entertainment Not Rated

Ship Facts: Veendam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Veendam Deck Plans
Honeymoon to Bermuda
This was my 13th cruise and second with Holland American. I started cruising almost 25 years ago and it just gets better. Granted I do look for a silver lining but I don't cruise to be unhappy. This was our honeymoon cruise. Pam and I were married Sept.18th and boarded the Veendam the 19th.We arrived at the terminal at about 12:15-12:30 and literally walked aboard. There seemed to be no lines after the security check point.

Our cabin was to die for! Being our honeymoon I sprung for a deluxe veranda. When HAL says deluxe the mean it. As many have stated we never got to Bermuda. Our bag with our snorkels masks and fins went in the closet and only came out at disembarkation. My bride took one look at the dressing room and didn't want to come out. The cabin seemed to be a double wide veranda. Everything perfect. I have heard some talk of questionable air conditioning but it seemed fine most of the time.

As noted we didn't make it to Bermuda but we did see Charleston, a stop in Florida and a nice afternoon in Nassau. It couldn't have been easy for HAL to get the ship berth's on such short notice. I don't get crazy about where we stop on cruses. I just consider them short breaks in the joy of cruising.

The food was generally good although the buffet could be better. I wasn't crazy about the Pinnacle experience. It seemed like the same quality food with a lot of waiters hovering about and it was noisy. Hate that, a good meal should be enjoyed with some peace and quiet. There was a loud table near by, not HAL's fault. We ate at the Pinnacle on the Noordam and it was super. The dining room was great and the Italian restaurant the best on the ship. I wish I would have found it earlier on. I was surprised that a "smaller ship" always seemed to have plenty of room. No crowds at the buffet, always a free table. The retreat was also never too crowded. All in all a great trip. A+ to HAL. Again.

Publication Date: 10/12/10
Read the Bermuda ports review by ammagic
More Veendam Cruise Reviews