Veendam Cruise Review by ammagic: Honeymoon to Bermuda

Compare Prices on Veendam Bermuda Cruises

Honeymoon to Bermuda

Sail Date: September 2010
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

This was my 13th cruise and second with Holland American. I started cruising almost 25 years ago and it just gets better. Granted I do look for a silver lining but I don't cruise to be unhappy. This was our honeymoon cruise. Pam and I were married Sept.18th and boarded the Veendam the 19th.We arrived at the terminal at about 12:15-12:30 and literally walked aboard. There seemed to be no lines after the security check point.

Our cabin was to die for! Being our honeymoon I sprung for a deluxe veranda. When HAL says deluxe the mean it. As many have stated we never got to Bermuda. Our bag with our snorkels masks and fins went in the closet and only came out at disembarkation. My bride took one look at the dressing room and didn't want to come out. The cabin seemed to be a double wide veranda. Everything perfect. I have heard some talk of questionable air conditioning but it seemed fine most of the time.

As noted we didn't make it to Bermuda but we did see Charleston, a More stop in Florida and a nice afternoon in Nassau. It couldn't have been easy for HAL to get the ship berth's on such short notice. I don't get crazy about where we stop on cruses. I just consider them short breaks in the joy of cruising.

The food was generally good although the buffet could be better. I wasn't crazy about the Pinnacle experience. It seemed like the same quality food with a lot of waiters hovering about and it was noisy. Hate that, a good meal should be enjoyed with some peace and quiet. There was a loud table near by, not HAL's fault. We ate at the Pinnacle on the Noordam and it was super. The dining room was great and the Italian restaurant the best on the ship. I wish I would have found it earlier on. I was surprised that a "smaller ship" always seemed to have plenty of room. No crowds at the buffet, always a free table. The retreat was also never too crowded. All in all a great trip. A+ to HAL. Again. Less

Read more Veendam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Veendam Review >>

Cabin review: Veendam Deluxe Verandah Suite Navigation 018

This was my 13th cruise and I have never seen better. Granted it was a more expensive cabin then I usually get. Deluxe veranda vs veranda. We were directly across from the "Neptune Lounge" and I considered that a plus. No noise but close to the coffee and snacks. If I was doing it again I would try for the same cabin.

A great little place to walk around and see the beautiful old homes. Plenty of chances to shop.

Neat little town. Had a nice local lunch and picked up a few gifts. I get concerned about straying too far for too long.

Read 2644 Nassau Reviews

Took the free bus to the mall. Same old same old but some shopping. We were told cab fare to the Space Center was about $25 ant then entry would be another $30. Took a pass on that.