Navigator of the Seas Cruise Review by bbbradk: First Ever Cruise

First Ever Cruise

Sail Date: September 2010
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Rome (Civitavecchia)

So we had 3 weeks booked and we had decided we were going to Italy, my girlfriend began mentioning going to visit Greece as well so we began looking at ferries and whatnot. Turns out they can be rather complicated. Not sure how we decided, but we began looking at cruises that would stop there. We found that the Navigator was going to not one but two ports there AND going on to Turkey then Egypt (both dream destinations). The price was confusing, as when we began looking, inside cabins were the same price as outside cabins, we dragged out feet and did not book right away, and the outside rooms went up by $1,000.00. Once the price jump happened we got our room right away before the price went up again. We headed to the port, then had to put up with way more people than there were buses for at the gate to the Civetavecchia Port. Royal Caribbean really needs to correct the shuttle bus situation, as it was a bad way to begin the cruise. We eventually made it to the disembarkation tent, More then onto the boat. Wow it was big, being that I've never been on a cruise I was not sure what to expect, but this boat was bigger than aircraft carriers I have visited.

The staff were all very friendly, the only ones who did not smile and greet us were the work men (there was ongoing work being done to resurface several areas, and wow did they ever make deck 4 smell like paint thinner). I would imagine the workers are not staff, because any of the rest of the staff went out of their way to greet you.

The room we had was really tiny, but well laid out, it seemed there was a place for everything, even the bed was set up so you could put your luggage underneath. Our cabin attendant was nice, although on the first day of he cruise she left us the cruise compass (the daily what's going on guide) in Dutch because she saw we were from Canada lol. I can assure you I have never heard any Dutch spoken here, and once we assured her that we spoke perfect English the correct version of the compass was brought.

The food onboard was good, we never went to the Main Dining Room because we preferred the relaxed atmosphere and dress code. The few times we looked at the menu offered we noticed it was almost the same as the buffet (the Windjammer). My biggest criticism of the buffet was that the food was almost the same every day for 12 days. We ordered room service a few times and it was always fast and hot. In all the food was very good, just not enough variety.

We saw the shows a few nights in the Main Theatre and really enjoyed them (a Beatles Tribute, a Frankie Valli Tribute, etc) Enjoyed the ice show, but you really need to get to the rink early as it fills up fast.

Took advantage of the adults only pool (oh my gosh it was cold!) and the hot tubs, both were nice, although with 3,000 people onboard you almost need more, things got very busy on sea days.

The port selection was really good, although Messina is a bit of a waste of time (we didn't get there until 2:00, and all the stores were closed until 4:00) although some did do an excursion to Etna from there, so other than that I am not sure why we even ported there.

In all though, this was our first cruise, and we both really enjoyed it and hope to do it again. Less

Read more Navigator of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Navigator of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Navigator of the Seas Interior Stateroom Deck 7 7447

Really small room, but to be fair we booked the cheapest one so expected that.

Not much to see in Alexandria, but a 3 hour ride brings you to the pyramids, they were awesome to see. The city right outside the port was really dirty looking, so I wouldn't head out on my own, however on an excursion it is fascinating to look at.

The port requires a 20 minute drive into the downtown area, we took the Royal Caribbean excursion to the downtown. The bus left late which made me mad, and justified why we did mostly private tours for the remaining cities. The city was nice, I think you need a better map than the one RC supplies though, because the only things marked on it are stores they want you to visit. Since we had limited time we decided to skip the Parthenon and wander through the Plaka (shopping area). Was nice enough, but I don't think we would return.

We loved Turkey. We took a tour in the morning to see Ephesus and the Virgin Mary House, in the afternoon we explored the bazar and really enjoyed ourselved. The people were all super friendly.

Read 361 Kusadasi Reviews

There was not much to see in Naples, however it is the leaving place for many many tours. Ours took us to Pompei then all through the Amalfi Coast, it was fantastic.

Read 647 Naples Reviews

Rhodes was everything Athens was not, the city was right beside the port, it was not too busy, there was not too much traffic, and the older parts were easily explorable. I think we would return to Rhodes, perhaps while visiting some other Greek Islands.

Read 185 Rhodes Reviews

the actual post here is Civitaveccia, there really is not much here other than the train station that we came and left from. A warning about the station though, once you get off your train you need to carry your luggage down then back up a flight of stairs. Nice cafe inside the train station though.