Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by kept: Port of Long Beach parking, debarking, etc.

kept
Member Since 2008

Family & Children 2.0

Compare Prices on Carnival Splendor Mexican Riviera Cruises

Port of Long Beach parking, debarking, etc.

Sail Date: September 2010
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

We went on the Carnival Splendor on Sunday September 5, 2010 for 7 nights Long Beach, CA RT to the Mexican Rivera. Ports of call are: Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan and Cabo San Lucas.

In our regular outside cabin were me 45, husband 51 and kids 6 and 4. All Platinum. Cabin #1274 has 1 upper and a sofa that makes into a bed. Also 2 lowers that make into a king.

The location/ bathroom of cabin 1274 is fine. Cabin steward Agang was fine.

Parking in the parking structure was $105 for the 7 nights. For parking at the ship take 710 south and exit where it says Queen Mary-cruise ships. Go to the gate more on the right and punch the button for a parking ticket. Drive to the far side of the structure to drop your party and bags on the ground floor curbside. Then park. There are 2 elevators and stairs to go to check in.

There are several park and sleep deals at the local hotels.

After the cruise you can do self assist debark. That is where you carry More all your luggage from your cabin to your car on your own.

-OR-

Use the blue paper tags issued to you by your cabin steward to tag your bags and put them in the hallway on the last night as directed. When your number tag is called in the morning go into the terminal and collect your bags. Go through customs and out into the parking structure. There are porters there to help you. They will put your bags curbside while your cabin mate gets the car.

They get the car and drive to the cashier to pay. Cash or MasterCard/ Visa only. The cashier gives you a blue "paid" card. Then they drive around to get you and the bags. Load the car and drive out to the other gates as directed. The second lane from the left is best. Put the blue parking card in the gate magnetic strip up and on the right. The gate opens and then get onto the 710.

By now you are ready for McDonalds. Take the Bellflower exit south from the 405 south. Turn right at the end of the ramp. The McDonalds is less than half a mile from the freeway on the left. It has a light and drive thru. Neighborhood is fine.

Back to the cruise:

I could not for the life of me get a drink called Ultimate Suntan. It was like pulling teeth out of a rabbit. I got one once from a guy up on Serenity who had to look it up on the computer and then I never saw him again. I guess they have some drinks only on some ships. Otherwise I drank yellow birds and Fun Ship Special refills.

Notable bar service by Francisco and Anna. Great towel service on Lido deck.

We had a good time in the pool midship on lido deck. Most adults can stand in the middle of the pool fine. Also kids splash play area on deck 11 is great but hours can be limited.

We had dinner on Monday night (formal night) in the Pinnacle Steakhouse on Deck 11. Just great food and service. Notable service by Andrei, Mary Anne and I am sorry I forgot the one other servers name. Also great bar service at the little bar there. A nice place for a pre dinner drink.

Pizza on Lido deck was served hot and with a smile by You. Great service even in the morning for my boy.

Enjoyed chicken, corn on cob, potato salad, mac cheese, baked potatoes, etc. in rotisserie on deck 10. A little quiet out of the way spot. Limited days and hours. Check your capers.

Camp Carnival was great. My kids didn't want to leave.

Lost in the casino.

All of our hangers (cheap plastic) in our garment bag were broken by the luggage handlers. Next time cheap metal.

We had good weather and a good time on this cruise. Less

Read more Carnival Splendor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Splendor Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Splendor Oceanview Riviera 1274

The only problem with cabin 1274 on the Carnival Splendor is there is nowhere to stow the ladder for the upper when not in use. So we put it behind the curtains. They need to put a hook on a wall.