Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by waiting4acruise: Carnival Conquest Crazies Too 9/26/10

waiting4acruise
Member Since 2007
25,749 Posts

Compare Prices on Carnival Conquest Western Caribbean Cruises

Carnival Conquest Crazies Too 9/26/10

Sail Date: September 2010
Embarkation: Galveston

Conquest Crazies Too-September 26, 2010

This is our second Crazies Cruise with Host Mach. He is a wonderful host. This is our 6th cruise on the Carnival Conquest and 10th overall (first Platinum cruise) on Carnival. I am 49 and my DW is 46. We were in balcony cabin 7376.

We arrived at the Galveston terminal via the hotel shuttle around 10:45am. This was our first VIP embarkation in Galveston. There were not many people at the terminal when we arrived. VIP embarkation was quick and easy. My only comment on this the split off VIP and regular line does not occur until you are upstairs and go through a maze. This was not a problem this year as the line was short. Last year this part of the line was very long and would defeat the purpose of VIP embarkation.

Our Room Steward was great. He kept our room spotless and when we saw him in the hall called us out by name and asked how our day was.

We did Anytime dining. I have few comments about this. The More Anytime on the Conquest is in the Renoir dining room. You enter on the lower level in the lobby deck 3. This is by the forward elevators. This was a little convenient for us as our cabin was located between the middle and aft elevators. Dinner on Lido deck was located on the rear buffet lines by the rear elevators. As a result and a few times we did not feel getting dressed up for dinner we ate in the MDR only 3 times. When we ate in the MDR the food was great. My suggestion would be that you be allowed to enter the Renoir via the back door which leads to the middle elevators. On previous cruises when we had early dining we were able to do this.

We had bad weather Tuesday night and Wednesday. As a result we missed the port of Montego Bay, Jamaica. The weather was nasty Wednesday morning and we encountered 60MPH winds. The Captain made 3 attempts in trying to get to the terminal. This terminal holds only one cruise ship and the channel is very narrow. From our balcony we could see the wind blowing the ship off course as we tried to enter the channel. The Captain made the right decision.

The next day we were supposed to tender in Georgetown, Grand Cayman. The weather was nice, but the seas were still high. The Port Authority closed the port. This was my 6th call to GC and the first time we missed it. I guess our luck ran out. Around 10:30am a letter was delivered to our stating that we would get our port taxes back. The letter also stated because we missed 2 ports there would be an open bar between 4:30-6:00pm. That was a nice gesture from Carnival even though they were not obligated to do so. To top it off the letter also stated that we would be getting 20% off a future cruise taken within the next 2 years.

Apparently this did please some passenger, who were mainly first time Carnival cruisers. I can understand them being upset for missing these 2 ports. I was on the Ecstasy last year that missed all Mexican ports because on the Swine Flu and this 5 day cruise turned into a cruise to nowhere. The actions that these people did were out of line. They attempted to pass a petition around falsely claiming that if they signatures of 55% passengers that they would get money off of this cruise. And to top it off some went to Guest Services to remove the auto tips from their Sign and Sail cards. I guess they felt the Room Stewarts and Waiters were responsible for the bad weather and missing ports.

The next day was Cozumel. It was a beautiful day. About 50 of us Crazies went to Nachi Cocom Beach. It was the first time there. It was great.

One thing new Carnival has added was the Punchline Comedy Club. This was the first time we had this on a cruise. The Conquest had 2 comedians Monday and Tuesday and another 2 comedians Friday and Saturday. Kim Harrison and Marc Reuben were great. Less

Read more Carnival Conquest cruise reviews >>