Carnival Glory Cruise Review by gabbydeluxe: Fun time on Glory

Compare Prices on Carnival Glory Canada & New England Cruises

Fun time on Glory

Sail Date: September 2010
Destination: Canada & New England
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

Just returned from Canada/N.England Cruise on "Glory" This is my 3rd cruise to Canada/New England. 2nd on Carnival, 1 on Princess. Although some folks tend to downgrade Carnival for food, etc. I personally think that they offer a great value. The food on the Glory was nicely prepared in both the dining room and the buffet. The dining room service was prompt and with a "no problem" attitude for special requests. The Maitre d' changed our seating without issue. The wait staff was courteous and the "show" the waiters do is cute. We ate in the Emerald steakhouse one evening with our "tablemates" and the steaks and service were excellent. I highly recommend trying the steakhouse even though it is a separate charge.

The ship is kept very clean. The bathrooms were clean. Our room steward did an excellent job. Morning room service was always right on time. The room temperature could have been a bit cooler. The elevators worked quickly. The shows were good. Like any cruise, they do More constantly push drinks and photos. Long lines didn't seem to be too much of a problem, other than when it came time for debarkation. Waiting in the corridor to exit took a while. Once off the ship customs was a breeze.

My only complaint about this cruise was that we booked the post cruise transfer to the airport thru Carnival. Carnival did not order enough buses to accommodate the number of passengers. Many people missed their flights. I booked a 5pm flight and didn't have an issue making it. We waited from 10am until 12:45 to get on a bus to the airport. Next time I will book a private car service like we did on arrival at New York. Its cheaper than the Post Cruise transfer thru Carnival. Less

Read more Carnival Glory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Glory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Glory Interior Riviera

We had an inside room on Deck 10. The room was quiet and clean. The bathroom was amply sized. The closets were surprisingly large with plenty of room for suits and formals. Plenty of room under the bed for storing suitcases. My only complaint about the room is that is was a bit warm for my taste.

Boston! Wow! Well, here again, we didn't book a tour thru the cruise ship. When you disembark the ship there are cabs waiting to take you towards downtown. A cab ride to Faneuil Hall, Quincy Market etc., will cost about 13.00, but if you are willing, people will share. You can also walk to the bus stop and a bus ride to the Amtrak terminal is only 2.00. You can catch several hop on hop off type trolleys, most of which will include a free harbor cruise. for about 34.00 or so.. Some are willing to dicker, and will knock off $10 or $15 and drop the free cruise. One of my favorite restaurants is just outside the doors of Quincy Market, McCormick and Schmick's. We enjoyed a lovely, delicious lunch there and then did some shopping. There is a Harley Davidson shop with clothing etc., if you are into that kind of thing. There are some nice clothing and jewelry shops as well as the typical tourist kind of kiosks along the outside. Any of the hop on hop off trolleys give you plenty of history about the city. We made a stop at the USS Constitution and its free to tour the boat. You will have to go thru metal detectors there as it is still an operational US Navy base. There is a lot to do and see in Boston.. More than most people can do in a short cruise ship stop. So plan wisely and enjoy.

Read 222 Boston Reviews

I love Halifax. Its clean and beautiful. We took the tall ship cruise and it was OK. The tour guide provided plenty of history about the city. Afterwards we walked to a local pub with our guide who provided even more enlightenment about the city. This was the third trip I have made to Halifax, but the first in which I have booked a tour thru the ship. When you debark the ship it is a short walk to the "boardwalk". Once you arrive at the boardwalk you can catch a human powered rickshaw for about $20.00. These rickshaws can carry 2 people. Our "driver" provided plenty of history and carried us all the way to the Citadel and to the Public Gardens (which are beautiful) as well as stopping at shops we saw along the way. He waited for us while we browsed. Also, there is a free downtown bus in Halifax called FRED (Free Ride Every Day) and I would recommend the above options rather than booking the hop on hop off type buses offered thru the cruise lines.

Read 349 Halifax Reviews

Portland is a neat place to visit, especially if you love lobster. Its cheap and there are many many restaurants along the waterfront to sate your lobster desires. We rented a car and drove to Kennebunkport which is less than an hour drive. Also a great place to eat Lobster. We ate at The Pilot House which apparently is a local hangout. 1 1/4 lb lobster for 9.99 was delicious. Lots of quaint shops to visit in Kennebunkport. Blueberry pie as well as blueberry anything is kind of a specialty in this area. I would love to go back sometime and stay at one of the many inns. Its a short drive on over to the Bush compound, but of course, you cant get too close. Kennebunkport is a great place to rent a scooter if you have the time. Back in Portland there are also alot of nice shops in walking distance of the ship and local artisans set up kiosks along the streets. Many people took the lighthouse tours and were well satisfied.

Most people visiting Saint John write reviews that aren't too glowing. I have never booked a tour with the cruise lines at this destination. Its walking distance from the ship terminal to the City Market and a nice partly underground mall. I recommend W. Smith Jewelry store. While we didn't book a tour this time either, we struck out on our own for a nice walk. There is a beautiful city park where even at the end of September, the flowers were still in full bloom. We discovered a lot of historic churches and buildings to photograph as well as some really neat shops that are off the beaten path. Including a wonderful china store, Hayward and Warwick. If you are a souvenir hunter, they are reasonably priced in St John. But watch out for the 13% sales tax. Ouch! We were going to walk to the Moosehead Brewery, but there is currently a construction boom going on in St John and the roads were closed which would have turned the walk into about 5 or 6 miles each way so we skipped it. The people are friendly and helpful. On my last trip to St John in 2009, I purchased a Clay Maple leaf in the City Market, which was sadly broken on the home. The same vendor/artist still had a booth in the market and when I told him my leaf had gotten broken he immediately offered another for free. Many people on the ship took the Peggy's Cove and Bay of Fundy tour and most were well satisfied with it. Its my understanding that there is some beautiful scenery outside the city. I think next time I visit I will rent a car.