“High Seas Heartburn”

Fishfish
Member Since 2009
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
This was my 5th cruise and my husband's 3rd cruise. As a rule, we consider cruising the best vacation for the money. This cruise was a Western Caribbean itinerary with 3 scheduled ports: Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. We missed Jamaica due to wind and Grand Cayman due to the port authority closing the port. We were disappointed at missing the ports but we understand the risks of cruising to the Caribbean during hurricane season. Being stuck on the ship is never ideal but, under normal circumstances, is taken in stride. However, in this case, it was torture.

The food on the Carnival Conquest is disgusting! We both dreaded meal times because it was such a challenge to find something appetising. The breakfast buffet is a JOKE unless you prefer your scrambled eggs runnier than sunny side ups and your bacon swimming in grease...and don't get me started on the "sausage gravy" because that looked like something my dog upchucked. The only thing I could eat from the buffet at breakfast was the pre-packaged cold cereal and pre-packaged milk. Oh, and the bananas were good. There were many more misses than hits in the main dining room as well. The soups were awful, the lobster raw, the steak tough as boot leather, the shrimp tasteless, the list goes on. Some of the pasta dishes were (just) okay and the chocolate warming cake was very good on 4 of the 7 nights. Any burger or (suppose to be) hot sandwich with cheese - including the grilled cheese sandwich - comes with a cold slice of cheese. They go all out. I could write a short story on how bad the food is but I think I've made my point so let's move on.

We had an inside cabin on deck 2 which was a good size, had lots of storage and plenty of pillows. Our steward kept the cabin clean and the ice bucket filled. Cabin service gets an A+. Any rumors you've heard about Carnival being a party cruise line are true in our experience. We are not teetotalers by any stretch, have cruised exclusively with Royal Caribbean in the past, enjoyed our cocktails and our fellow revelers but we have simply outgrown the frat house atmosphere that we've found on both our Carnival cruises. We tried the Carnival Ecstasy 4-day cruise which we didn't care for but kept reading that 4-day cruises are not the same as 7-day cruises so we gave Carnival another shot by booking this 7-day cruise. Note to self: If a little is bad, twice as much is twice as bad. Carnival has lost our business forever.

Carnival Conquest Cruises to the Western Caribbean
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: Interior

Port
Took a cab to Playa Palancar, enjoyed the beach from under a palapa, shared a bucket of beers and ate delicious grilled shrimp and nachos. Our waiter and both cab drivers were fun and personable. Great day!

Read 4,598 Cozumel Reviews
Published 10/07/10
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Carnival Conquest Review
Carnival Conquest Cruises to the Western Caribbean
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?