Zuiderdam Cruise Review by yorkshireterrierist

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Zuiderdam Cruise Review by yorkshireterrierist
Zuiderdam
Zuiderdam
Member Name: yorkshireterrierist
Cruise Date: September 2010
Embarkation: Vancouver
Destination: U.S.A.
Cabin Category: VA
See More About: Zuiderdam Cruise Reviews | U.S.A. Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals
Public Rooms 5+

Ship Facts: Zuiderdam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Zuiderdam Deck Plans
Sea Sick
We chose this cruise to have a short sampling of a different cruise line as we have only been on RCL before. We were very glad that is was short though because the waters were very rough and my dh was sick the entire time! Not that this is the cruise line's fault in any way but it certainly affect our experience.

Embarkation: We showed up at the pier to drop our luggage at around 10am. They told us they would not be ready until 11-11:30. When we came back we breezed through all the lines and into the holding area where we were squished like sardines with the other waiting passengers. We didn't have to wait more than 15minutes though when they announced the ship was ready to board. They were very organized and well managed. On board of course our first stop was the buffet. The first thing I noticed is that it is not a true buffet. Each food station was "roped off" in front of it and there would be people behind the rope or counter and they would serve you what you requested. I can see the purpose behind this in order to waste less food and create less mess from a mob of people just grabbing everything. The only annoying thing was when there were hot dishes they were covered up and you could not see them. There was always a good variety of things to eat and we were always able to find somewhere to sit. I was however never able to figure out how to get a coke in that restaurant.

Entertainment: We went to the comedy show the first evening and really enjoyed it. The other 2 nights though we missed due to illness.

Facilities: Bought the hydrotherapy pool/room package at $60 per person for the 3 days except you couldn't use it until after 4:30 the first day so it was really only 2 days. The price was a complete rip off but the pool was really relaxing and enjoyable when we did use it. We paid attention the first day and found that after dinner was the time the least people were there. We ended up having the place to ourselves for the entire evening. There were lots of cushy places to sit and lounge around the ship. We never were unable to find a nice place to sit and read or people watch.

Dinning: Please keep in mind that I am not a food critic and I think that food is very subjective. I was never amazed by the food in the main dining room. It was not bad but it was not excellent like it was on RCL. The desert was not very good anytime. Also the last day I think their dryer was broken or they were just really behind because every meal I ate I was given a wet napkin and my lap would be wet by the time I was done eating.

Cabins: Our cabin was a VA balcony. It had plenty of space for storage and had a full size tub instead of tiny shower. The only complaint we had was that the shower curtain was a thick dark material and blocked out all the light when closed. Try shaving in the dark on a ship that is rocking like crazy. It would be an easy fix for them to get clear shower curtains.

Service: Service was excellent. We met our cabin steward which was a first for us. Everyone was very friendly and tried to get to know you.

Publication Date: 10/07/10