Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by PO795: Fun get away with my hubby

PO795
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Carnival Conquest Western Caribbean Cruises

Fun get away with my hubby

Sail Date: September 2010
Embarkation: Galveston

First of all thanks to all have written reviews. I learned a lot by reading about your cruise(s). We parked at Ezcruise.com. There is a coupon on line. Embarkation went smoothly. Saw a lot of people carrying bottled water and pop. We only packed 6 bottles of water in our luggage and refiled with the ship water. We carried on two bottles of wine with no problem. We ate a nice lunch and toured the ship.

Our room was available at 1:30. Our room was behind the elevators-no elevator noise. We were only one flight away from the Lido Deck. We had a balcony room. Loved being able to step outside in my pjs in the middle of the night. I saw a lot of flying fish from the balcony. Bed was comfortable. The bathroom was bigger than what I thought-perhaps because of balcony room. I had plenty of room the put all of stuff. I noticed someone else had placed a flower on their mailbox to more easily see their door-so I tied on an OSU tie on ours. As I had read in another review we went to the More front of the ship on Deck 7-also could go to deck 6 to sail out of Galveston. I saw dolphins and great to see us head out of port. Also went there when we sailed out of one of the other ports. Hubby was not feeling so well so we just ate at the buffet and not the dining room the first night and had room service for breakfast. We did extra tip-though not required-the steward that brought breakfast.

We had the dine when you want option which was GREAT and would HIGHLY recommend it. When in port we sometimes ate late which meant we could go a little later than early seating. On days at sea we would eat around 6 and got right in. We were able to have our same server and eat by ourselves. Had the option to eat with others. As most mentioned the melting chocolate cake is wonderful. Our server was Rico-his assistant Imade and Rene. All excellent.

On the first elegant night we really dressed up. Next time I will press our wrinkled clothing earlier in the cruise rather than waiting right before dinner. There was a short line in wait for the iron. We had pictures taken and even bought some they were so good. Photographers did an excellent job sitting up poses.

I really enjoyed the slide. I think more adults were on the slide than children. This could be because there were not a lot of children on board due to school being in session. I brought two beach towels from home so not to get confused with all the carnival beach towels.

Boneficio (unsure of spelling) was our room steward. Very friendly and our room was always neat and clean.

Saw one guest be rude to the Pizza man-which was uncalled for. He was ensuring fresh hot pizza for him and other cruisers. Yes the staff is there to ensure we have a great time; but remember they are there for months at a time with very little time off and are pretty much working 7 days a week.

I saw staff cleaning morning, day and night. Thanks. I think this helped cut down on spreading illnesses.

My hubby spent some time in the Cigar piano bar. A nice big room and very few cruisers smoking cigars. When in port he bought a Cuban cigar which he enjoyed.

Used the ships computer a couple of times when they ran a special. Next time will take small laptop to use in port at free wifi places we were told about.

We only saw a few shows. Liked the comedians. The magic show was okay. My hubby did the behind the scene tour-only way to see the bridge-$95. He thought it was worth the money and had a great time.

We went to the past guest reception and received a few free drinks.

As others have mentioned we booked shore excursions through Island Marketing Ltd. (jamaicacruiseexcursions.com; cozumelcruiseexcursions.com more links on both pages). See my port reviews below.

Things I did not like about the cruise: I didn't win at bingo and I didn't win the free cruise.

Very excited to hear Carnival's newest ship Magic will be sailing out of Galveston starting November 2011.

We really liked the Conquest. Less

Read more Carnival Conquest cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Conquest Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Conquest Balcony Verandah 8261

We were in room 8261 right behind the elevators. No elevator noise-but occasionally during the day we heard the activities from the lobby. Which if they were playing music I enjoyed. Three closets. We brought extra coat hangers from home and glad we did. Two nice big bathrobes. Nice size balcony and bathroom with plenty of counter space. Safe lock and unlock with the slide of a credit card.

We booked a day at the beach Nachi Cocom! cozumelcruiseexcursions.com $49 per adult. Totally awesome. Taxi cab $15 to beach both ways up to four people. We only had two. The beach only takes up to 100 people a day. I would guess less than 50 people. We added in the snorkeling for $38 pp. I do not swim. I put on the big orange life preserver and did great. I was very proud of myself. There were I think 9 of us on the boat. Saw coral reefs and fish. The boat driver took pictures of us with our good camera and I took the disposable waterproof camera. We chose two of three items off the menu too full for the three were were allowed. We had the guacamole and fajitas. Totally awesome. Talked to another couple who had the fish dishes and they said they were also great. All drinks were included in the price. Totally worth going-very relaxing.

Read 3140 Cozumel Reviews

Tendered off at Grand Cayman. Moved quickly. We got off and did a little shopping. I discovered I had left addresses to send cards on board the ship. My hubby didn't get mad when we had to tender back to get them. I mailed the cards at the post office and they have not arrived yet over two weeks ago when mailed. We ate at Margaritaville. Food was good. Bought some Tortuga Rum cake. Look for Coupons on board the ship by the casino. Next time we go will take the $20 taxi ride pp around the island. Also bought a Harley Shirt and pins.

We went to Dunn's Fall. Booked through jamaicacruiseexcursions.com at about half the price of Carnival. Ricky our guide was great and was waiting for us as we exited the terminal building. He gave us history about Jamaica and answered all of our questions. The van held 8. The drive to Dunns was about 1 1/2 hours. Jamaicans drive fast and tailgate, but was never afraid. We bought water shoes before going so did not have to buy there. We had a guide that took us up the falls and took our picture with our camera several times (next time will purchase a nice digital waterproof camera and put a floatie on it) with a disposable water proof camera. The guides earnings comes from tips we tipped him $10. Also a person videotaped the trip. We bought the tape and we were on it quite a bit. I paid attention to during the climb because did not want to buy if I did not think we were in it. In the beginning of the DVD there is information about Jamaica. Ricky suggested and rightly so not to purchase items in the village-craft area right outside Dunns. But people seemed friendly and did not take it wrong when I said I did not want anything. On our way back to MoBay we stopped at a store and was able to buy souveniers and hubby bought Cuban cigars. He also took us to a Harley Davidson store which we requested. We then went and eat Jerk chicken and pork. The name was the Rib _____. Very good. I had asked Ricky what Jamaica's greatest asset was and he stated the people. He was right!