Carnival Dream Cruise Review by chilldowns

Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Cabin Category: 4H
Public Rooms Not Rated

Dream Cruise
The cruise on the Dream was a good cruise. I will use this review to point out things both good and bad about the boat.

We had room on Lido deck (Inside 10289) First room as you exit lido deck/seaside Theater. We hear thumping of Music/Bands 6 of the 7 days. They could not move us but did give us a 20% credit and a future 15% discount off next cruise. I do not recommend any of the first group of inside cabins on lido deck. (We did love the location though)

Seaside Theater - They showed Sunday and Monday night football (with sound). They had movies every night- (Up in the Air, Avatar, Old Dogs...) during afternoon they would show concerts. In morning they would show news. We enjoyed the Theater, except when large groups came up to the lido group to party during the movies.

Pasta Bar (deck 11) - I would head here when you board, less crowded for lunch. The food was very good, served hot and made to order. Not a huge Pasta fan, but I liked the Pasta Area. If you like fresh made to order I also suggest the Mongolian Wok (deck 10). I have copy of order menu if you would like to see it.

On the first day we had problems finding a place to sit as everyone was waiting for their rooms to be ready.

On the first sea day they had a cooking demonstration in the steakhouse (about 11am) This was fun and the food was very good- they will also give you the recipes (FREE).

The first night is the liquor sale (found these prices to be same or cheaper) at most ports- If you want a copy of the prices send me an email. They also had cigarettes on sale. I purchased 3 carton of Marlboro for $52 (picked up for a friend)

The Serenity Deck- This by far was our favorite place. They have 2 person clam shells to sit in, some have covers you can pull up if you want shade. The clam shells are all over deck 15 with some on deck 14. They also have 2 2-person hammocks. They also have a bar on the serenity deck as well (bar costs, but clam shells & hammocks are free to use) did not have any problem getting one any of the days. Tip: Try to find the spot with a breeze.

SPA- I want to try the thalassotherapy pool. I have read on this site and Carnivals sites that you can buy day passes for $20. I asked every day and was told - NO. ON the last day they let me buy a combo pass for the thalassotherapy pool and the hot rooms/ Steam Baths for $35. I did not want to pay the $150 for the week as I knew I would only use it a couple of times. I liked the pool, but was not worth the $35.

Comedy Club- we did not go as we were told you had to get there 45-60+ minutes early to get a seat.

Did not go to any of the shows.

Laundry- did the dreaded laundry the second to last night $3.00 for washer (about 30 minutes) and $3.00 for dryer (90 minutes for perm press/ 60 minutes for whites/colors). There were only 2 washers and 4 dryers on the 10th floor. Laundry soap (All or Surf) was 1.25 and so was Fabric Softener. They do not have a laundry on every floor. We did pack an iron but they removed it from our bags and returned it on last night. They have several ironing rooms on board. Glad we are now platinum and get free laundry service next cruise.

Breakfast & Lunch- we ate in the scarlet dining room most of the time; do not like the lido area, too crowded and not enough tables for that size of boat. If you like to sit with others they will seat you at a window table.

Bar-b-q- On sea days they had Barb b q grills set up on deck 5 Lanai area. Did not make it but was told it was good- ribs on last sea day.

Dinner- Scarlet Dining Room- food was good, not great. Prime Rib on last night was very good, not so good on formal night. We had a table at the back of the boat and had a great view every evening.

Chocolate Buffett was Friday afternoon (across from Mongo Wok) no in Fun time's 12-230pm. If you love chocolate go. The dessert in the back of the lido area is only some of the Chocolate items.

Late night Buffett- I think there was only 1 or 2. I went to the Mexican buffet and it was very good.

The Dream celebrated its first birthday on 9/18 and they had a party with cake, laser show, and a cheap drink special ($3.25- frozen drink specials)

Laser Show- Nothing special. "Lasers" were shown on the floor and not in the sky. One night they had a Pink Floyd/Rush Laser show- only 3 songs total

Embark - got there at 12 noon, on boat by 1230

Debark - fast as well and we set pour luggage out- off boat by 8 am

Casino- found slots to be very tight. Tip- If you drink a classic drink like long island, Mia Tia- take receipt to cashier and they will give you $5 match play coupon that will work on Blackjack or Roulette tables.

Cozumel- (Independant Tour) We did Mr. Santo's cooking class (independent tour $40 per person) Made Margarita's- several of them. We made Guacamole, Pico, Refried beans, Sopas. Had fun, it cost $15 each way for taxi.

Belize- (Carnival excursion)- did the Barrier Reef snorkel and Bannister Island beach break. Good snorkeling had beach just for our group. Good time. If you don't want an independent excursion use this one. They pick you up and drop you off at boat, no tender needed to port.

Roatan, Honduras. (Carnival) BEAUTIFUL. We Did the Maya Cay beach. 15-20 minute boat ride to Private Island. They limit number of people- you are there 5 hours. Lunch is included- BBQ chicken, Fried sea Bass (very good), Rice, Salad, Fried Bananas. They also have several animals (rescue animals) in cages. There is a replica of Mayan Ruins at the top of hill. You are on the approach to the airport and several planes flew about 200 ft overhead. There were plenty of chairs and shade was available if you wanted it. They also have a regular pool and of course a bar. There is some very nice snorkeling too. You can rent snorkel equipment when you arrive, not include in the price.

Costa Maya-(On Our Own) we took a taxi to Majhhalal (sp) - $3pp there/$2 pp return. There were los of vendors selling stuff, not as pushy as Cozumel. You can sit at beach (water not that great), rent jet skis, message on the beach. Most places had beer for $2 per bottle or 6 for $10. Our taxi dropped us off at the gate to the port area. There is a "starbucks" type place with Internet (cheaper than boat). There is also a large store selling liquors, souvenirs, RX (cheaper prices than Cozumel and Belize on items I was looking at), and more.

Publication Date: 10/06/10