Navigator of the Seas Cruise Review by del2305: Silver Wedding Anniversary ~ First Timers

del2305
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Navigator of the Seas Europe - Eastern Mediterranean Cruises

Silver Wedding Anniversary ~ First Timers

Sail Date: September 2010
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Rome (Civitavecchia)

We took this cruise with RCI to the eastern Med and Egypt and were not disappointed... we had a wonderful time and can't wait to our next time!

The ship was well laid out and very clean. We never had long to wait for the lifts (elevators) and found the promenade, theatres, lounges and bars to be immaculately decorated and comfortable throughout.

Our cabin attendant Josie was incredibly friendly and so hard working... she deserves a raise for sure and was a credit to both herself and RCI.

The entertainment was generally good and at times very good. I was appalled to see some guests walk out on some of the performers at times after only a few minutes... their loss!

We opted for My Time Dining which gave us greater flexibility with to regards to when we ate. We never made a reservation and never had to wait more than two minutes to be seated. We were a little disappointed by quality of the steaks served for dinner (I suspect the quality meat was More kept for Chops Grill which had a $25 cover charge!), we found them to be quite 'stringy' and gave up after a couple of nights and instead opted for the chef's recommendations which were usually good. We took breakfast in the Windjammer most mornings (buffet style) and their was always a wide choice of good quality fare on offer. We also enjoyed a relaxing coffee (Seattle's Best) with sandwich or cake in the Promenade Cafe most days too. The only reason I deduct a mark for the dining experience was the because of the steaks... surely this could easily be resolved!

We took RCI shore excursions at all ports bar Rhodes Town. These were generally good value and well organised if a tad expensive. See below for comments on each port.

Embarkation and disembarkation was very smooth and really quite painless. Hats off to RCI for this as there were over 3000 guests on-board!

Being from Northern England, we were keen to take advantage of the wonderful sunny weather and never had problems in finding sun loungers; the towel exchange facility worked well too.

If you enjoy more than just the odd glass of wine, beware! RCI must be one of the most expensive purveyors of wines... the cheapest glass we saw was in the $8-9 range with bottles costing $30+. Cocktail of the day was $6.95 plus 15% gratuity with typical cocktails costing around $8-9 plus gratuity. We opted for the Soda Package which was great value for money but did enjoy our fair share of cocktails too ;-)

Would I do this again? In a heartbeat! Would I cruise with RCI again, yes, I would... the staff worked tirelessly to ensure the guests had friendly and first rate service and I can't thank them enough for ensuring our Silver Wedding Anniversary was a memorable experience. Less

Read more Navigator of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Navigator of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Navigator of the Seas Interior Stateroom Deck 6 6473

Our cabin was just fine and much larger than we had expected. The shower was quite small but was functional and adequate. The cleaning regime was second to none, I can't stress how impressed we were too much!

Alexandria and Cairo are dirty places, there is no getting away from this fact. It's a man's world in Egypt and women do seem to be treated very differently than in the western world. That said, the trip we took to the Giza Plateau to see the Great Pyramids and the Sphinx was well worth the 2-3 hour drive. The pyramids are still to this day an amazing feat of engineering; it is amazing to think just how old they are and how well they have endured. Definitely a 'bucket list' item this, whilst it is something I would not have missed, I can't see me ever wanting to step foot in Egypt again either. It is just too hot, too dirty and culturally so different. Did we feel comfortable/safe whilst there? Yes and no... we never saw anything to cause any alarm, but just seeing the amount of armed soldiers/police/guards was a bit disconcerting and it certainly put us off touring Alexandria on the second day of our stay.

We took the trip to the Parthenon on a hot and sultry day in Athens. There is renovation work ongoing on the site but this did not spoil our visit; the views across Athens were breathtaking from the Acropolis. On the way back to the ship, we stopped off at the Olympic stadium... how the athletes compete in such heat is beyond me!

Whilst in Kusadasi, we took an RCI trip to Ephesus which was truly amazing and in my opinion not to be missed. Walking down the ancient streets, you could imagine what life was like there all those years ago. Don't miss this place!

Read 362 Kusadasi Reviews

Having holidayed in Sorrento in the past, we were keen to visit Herculaneum as it was somewhere we missed out on last time round (We had previously visited Pompeii, Capri, Almalfi etc.). We were not disappointed and would recommend this trip to anyone interested in life circa 79 AD. It was amazing to see how well the villas and artifacts had been preserved.

Read 647 Naples Reviews

We opted to make our own way around Rhodes Town and enjoyed our day there. The town is enclosed by walls and was very picturesque. I can see why Rhodes is so popular with tourists as the natives are very friendly and the weather was glorious!

Read 185 Rhodes Reviews