Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by intrepid_guy: We made EPIC memories!

intrepid_guy
Member Since 2000
1,125 Posts

Compare Prices on Norwegian Epic Western Caribbean Cruises

We made EPIC memories!

Sail Date: August 2010

First of all, for a full day-by-day review please read: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1264667. In addition, I diagramed the room: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1284322

Overall, a great cruise! Nothing in life is perfect, nor is any cruise, but this one was one of our best. The ship is gorgeous in my opinion. I loved the more muted colors and expanses of "wood" throughout. The layout, while not ideal, was suitable to navigate the ship with ease. The public rooms varied greatly in size to better break up the ship's complement of passengers. I must also say that with nearly 4100 people aboard, it never felt crowded.

The entertainment is like nothing you will find aboard any other ship. Just having Blue Man Group aboard is a major coup. And they were great. The show Cirque Dreams and Dinner has had mixed reviews. I thought that there was too much dialogue and the seats were the worst on the entire ship, but the performers were More unparalleled anywhere at sea. Fat Cats Lounge was rocking nightly with Slam Allen and his band... they were the best "band" I have seen on any ship. There was much more going on that we might have missed or only checked in on. Nightly parties were the thing at Spice H20. Most were themed and the cruise staff did a great job amping up the energy and making sure everyone had fun. Bliss Ultralounge was always the last stop of the night. The DJ's are actual pros and the best I have experienced... not the same songs night after night.

FOOD!!! And there was plenty of it! My favorites were Moderno, Noodle Bar and Wasabi. Moderno is a Brazilian Steakhouse with pasadors bringing skewers of meat around to the tables. You gotta try it, totally worth the $18 fee. The Noodle Bar is just that, Asian noodle dishes at a la carte pricing. Wasabi is the combo Saki, Sushi and Teppanyaki restaurants. The sushi was the best I have had, and very large rolls. Manhattan Room and Taste (the main dining rooms) were standard but tasty. Most every dish I had was pretty darn good, with only a couple of exceptions. O'Sheehans is a great place for a quick bite or after a long night in Bliss... comfort foods all tasty.

Our room was a Deluxe Family Balcony, and very much the same as a Deluxe Balcony. There was room for 3. I felt the room was plenty big enough for us to putter around in for a week. The storage was amazing, we did not even use 2 closets and a number of shelves that were provided. The curvy walls add visual interest and the mature muted colors felt relaxing. The couch was odd, true, but not unusable. (Look for the storage behind the seat back). A large flat screen TV was mounted opposite the bed and couch. The bed and bedding were superior to any bed I have had on a cruise. NCL hits it out of the park with the new beds. Also a nice touch is powerful magnets sewn into the curtain that "locks" it shut to keep out that bright Caribbean sun. The bathroom is split and was great for us since we could both do what we needed to do at the same time. We had a tub/shower combo that was really quite large. A minibar (fridge) is in the room, just ask the steward to empty it if you need to use it.

I have been asked if I would sail the EPIC again. The answer is mixed. Honestly, I would sail again, my only issue is the itineraries offered. If new itineraries come around that I am interested in, I will JUMP at the chance to sail her again. Less

Read more Norwegian Epic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Epic Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Epic 11268

11268 - New Wave. Deluxe Family Balcony. Large shower with tub, plenty of closet space and cabinets to spare. Very comfortable bed. 3 person occupancy using sofa bed. Split bathroom perfect for multiple people to multitask. Very near elevators, but no noise.

I rate the port as a "4" just because there is not much to see there. However we booked a day at Nohoch Kay and that puts the rating through the roof. Jaime and his staff were awesome. For only $40 per person we got all we could eat and drink. Lovely views over the water and a great breeze completed our day. See my full review for more info if you are interested.

Lots of shopping took most of our day, but we made plenty of time for Carlos and Charlies! Always a fun time in Cozumel.

Read 3104 Cozumel Reviews

We only shopped the area at the dock here. We were too worn out from the sun the day before. We rode the slides and got massages instead.

Read 1645 Roatan Reviews