Radiance of the Seas Cruise Review by nana2many

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Radiance of the Seas Cruise Review by nana2many
Radiance of the Seas
Radiance of the Seas
Member Name: nana2many
Cruise Date: August 2010
Embarkation: Vancouver
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: H
See More About: Radiance of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals

Cutbacks Are Noticeable
This was our 11th cruise, first one on RCCL. We are retired seniors.

We arranged our own travel to the port of embarkation, Vancouver. Vancouver is a difficult city to maneuver on your own. Maybe better to book your arrival transportation with the cruise. Check in was a breeze, with very friendly service.

The stateroom was comfortable and roomy. We had a nice view from the window. It was not obstructed. The amenities in the bathroom were non-existent, only a bar of soap and some sort of all purpose gel in the shower. Now that the airlines are being so restrictive on baggage weight, I left all my shampoos and lotions at home and was disappointed that RCCL didn't offer any. No robes either. I was told that RCCL is a "cut above" other cruise lines, but didn't find it to be.

The ship was beautiful and easy to find your way around. No crowding issues.

Dining was delightful. The food and service were excellent. We were at a table for six in a side room, not the 2-story main part, but found it quite comfortable and the noise level was good. The buffet was huge and very good. There was no trouble finding a table, unless you were holding out for a window view. I wish they would provide trays to carry your food. It is very difficult to balance a soup bowl, salad plate, main dish plate, and silverware all at once. The beverage bars were separate and efficient.

Onboard activities were less than expected. There wasn't much going on, except activities you pay a surcharge for.

Service was excellent. It was by far, the friendliest ship we have ever been on. The staff seemed happy and loving their jobs. We have never had a bad experience with service, but we were genuinely pleased with this crew. Even the Captain, Chief Engineer, etc. were friendly and informative.

Entertainment was good, not exceptional. We enjoyed the production shows. The ship's main band was very good, and so was the cruise director.

Disembarkation was smooth.

I wish our expectations hadn't been so high. So many people we had talked to think RCCL is the best. I found it average. In reading recent reviews of other ships, I realize that they have all undergone cutbacks. Perhaps I wouldn't be as impressed with them now as I was last year. Value for your money is still great on cruises. I will continue to cruise and will consider RCCL for future cruising if the itinerary and price is right.

Publication Date: 10/06/10