Radiance of the Seas Cruise Review by nana2many: Cutbacks Are Noticeable

Cutbacks Are Noticeable

Sail Date: August 2010
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Vancouver

This was our 11th cruise, first one on RCCL. We are retired seniors.

We arranged our own travel to the port of embarkation, Vancouver. Vancouver is a difficult city to maneuver on your own. Maybe better to book your arrival transportation with the cruise. Check in was a breeze, with very friendly service.

The stateroom was comfortable and roomy. We had a nice view from the window. It was not obstructed. The amenities in the bathroom were non-existent, only a bar of soap and some sort of all purpose gel in the shower. Now that the airlines are being so restrictive on baggage weight, I left all my shampoos and lotions at home and was disappointed that RCCL didn't offer any. No robes either. I was told that RCCL is a "cut above" other cruise lines, but didn't find it to be.

The ship was beautiful and easy to find your way around. No crowding issues.

Dining was delightful. The food and service were excellent. We were at a table for six in a side More room, not the 2-story main part, but found it quite comfortable and the noise level was good. The buffet was huge and very good. There was no trouble finding a table, unless you were holding out for a window view. I wish they would provide trays to carry your food. It is very difficult to balance a soup bowl, salad plate, main dish plate, and silverware all at once. The beverage bars were separate and efficient.

Onboard activities were less than expected. There wasn't much going on, except activities you pay a surcharge for.

Service was excellent. It was by far, the friendliest ship we have ever been on. The staff seemed happy and loving their jobs. We have never had a bad experience with service, but we were genuinely pleased with this crew. Even the Captain, Chief Engineer, etc. were friendly and informative.

Entertainment was good, not exceptional. We enjoyed the production shows. The ship's main band was very good, and so was the cruise director.

Disembarkation was smooth.

I wish our expectations hadn't been so high. So many people we had talked to think RCCL is the best. I found it average. In reading recent reviews of other ships, I realize that they have all undergone cutbacks. Perhaps I wouldn't be as impressed with them now as I was last year. Value for your money is still great on cruises. I will continue to cruise and will consider RCCL for future cruising if the itinerary and price is right. Less

Read more Radiance of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Radiance of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Radiance of the Seas Large Oceanview Stateroom Deck 3 3568

Nice room. Not too small. No overhead bunks to smack your head on. Comfy bed. Unobstructed view from window. Closet and drawer space adequate for 7 day cruise. Might be small for a longer cruise. Bathroom was disappointing. No toiletries. Only a bar of soap and all purpose gel dispenser in shower. No lotion, facial soap, shower cap, shoe polishing cloth, etc. I left my stuff home because I knew? they would supply it. I've had better amenities at a Motel 6. I know all cruise lines are looking for ways to cut back, but this really came across as cheap. I couldn't even get what I needed by asking the cabin steward. They were simply not available.

This was our first time to visit this port. It is always nice to see a new one. The cannery museum was interesting, and the beach walk and nature trail walk was very nice, and free. They had a bonfire burning on the beach with benches around it to relax on. There was a shuttle service into the town of Hoonah. I thought $8 was a bit much for the 4 mile round trip. But it is a small, mostly Native Alaskan community, and I suppose it was a way to supplement income for them. There really wasn't much to see in the town. The bay that the ship anchored in was nice. We had to tender in, and it was handled well. There were whales visible in the bay.

A lovely port. You can choose many things to do and see here. The famous Mendenhall Glacier will not disappoint. A city shuttle will take you out there for a reasonable price. Don't forget your National Park Pass, if you have one. It will save you the entrance fee to the visitor center. You can view the glacier and hike around for free.

Read 837 Juneau Reviews

Delightful little town. So picturesque. Just fun to walk around and explore. You might be bored if you don't go on an excursion, but I enjoyed just going through the shops and taking photos.

This port was also a first for us. We disembarked the ship here and joined our 7 day land tour. The town itself is nothing special, but the Resurrection Bay Cruise is awesome. We saw so much wildlife and beautiful scenery. It had a delicious salmon lunch on an island included, with an optional crab leg add on for a reasonable price of $7. It was well worth it.

Read 49 Seward Reviews

One of my favorite ports. It has a rugged wild west flavor. The train to the top of White Pass is a must do. It is so scenic.

Read 643 Skagway Reviews

We actually didn't spend any time in Vancouver this time, we went directly to the ship. However, we have visited several times in the past and love this port. It is a beautiful city, offering so much to do and see. I suggest, public transportation (bus service) for getting around. Don't miss Stanley Park, Lions Gate Bridge, China Town, Gas Light District.