Carnival Glory Cruise Review by ursa666

Service Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated
Rates 5+

Carnival Glory - Western Caribbean

This is surely an impressive ship! The theme is "colors" and they are not kidding. From the artwork everywhere (even in the elevators) to the multi-colored floors, this ship is vibrant.

We embarked early, about 12:30 p.m. and were told our cabins would be ready by 1:30 so everyone ended up on the Lido deck for drinks and a buffet lunch. Our stateroom was ready before 1:30 and we made ourselves at home. Not a difficult thing to do...our suitcases had not arrived yet. We checked out the balcony and went back to the Lido deck. Our luggage appeared around 7:00. After talking to William, the maitre 'd, we got our dining option changed with no problem.

The lounges and bars are just beautiful and some out-of-the-way places like the Cinn-A-Bar were not crowded even tho the ship was completely full. The casino was a lot of fun but usually very crowded. The sports bar "On the Green" is connected to the casino so hubby was overjoyed! There were three "R" rated comedians to see. The shows begin at midnight but they are worth staying awake for!

The food was soooo wonderful! I like to try new foods while aboard so if I don't like them I can get something else but that was never necessary on the Glory. I discovered a fondness for scallops and caviar that week. The Coquille St. Jacques was amazing. The buffet foods were tasty as well and the deli had really good sandwiches. Fries are not available at the deli so just go to a buffet line to get some. The 24 hr. pizzeria was passable but what can you expect at 2 a.m.?

Costa Maya was a bust. Happily for future cruisers Carnival has put Key West back on the itinerary and removed Costa Maya. The pier led to a shopping area...that's it. No town, no nothing. The merchants were hard to haggle with as they had no competition. One guy even tried to sell me my own hat-for $38! I did get some lovely jewelry at Tanzanite Int'l so that was worth the long walk from the ship. We did not disembark in Belize as we don't snorkel or scuba and we were told shopping was not all that great. Carnival warns you not to go strolling around alone in Belize so we opted to relax on the ship. Cozumel was so much fun! Take your coupons and go to Senor Frog's. I suggest a few margaritas before the cab ride LOL We shopped and had a great day.

The main reason we chose this itinerary was to go to Progresso to see Chichen Itza. The total excursion time is 7.5 hrs. as opposed to 12.5 hrs. from Cancun. We had to meet in the Amber Palace at 7:15 a.m. to get on the busses 45 mins. later. The bus was air-conditioned and our tour guide was very informative til I fell asleep! A bag lunch (no drinks) was provided to all. When we got to the ruins site, a $4 fee was charged to anyone videotaping. A pretty good deal. Some people stayed with the guide thru the entire complex but I took off to take some pictures. We ended up being there less than 2 hours! Not nearly enough time to really see much but a nice overview. Hubby climbed the pyramid while I watched LOL An ambulance is there in case someone falls down the steps. They are quite steep and the steps themselves are very narrow, use caution.

Anyway, all in all the cruise was great fun and I would take Carnival again.

Publication Date: 11/18/04