Ruby Princess Cruise Review by jinx20: Ruby was excellent, and the best itinerary of all.

jinx20
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Ruby Princess Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Ruby was excellent, and the best itinerary of all.

Sail Date: September 2010
Embarkation: Venice

Flying into Venice, Delta lost one of my bags. Reported it at the airport, and went to the service desk on the ship and reported it there. Princess service desk acted like it was their fault! They gave me a kit full of toiletries, and since our formal clothing was in the bag, they immediately offered formal wear, complimentary of course. They called my cabin three times to keep me informed. They called Delta and had my bag moved to our first port, Athens, where it showed up in my cabin. I was amazed at the Princess Service.

We loved the ship. We are the type to eat early, and go to the Princess Theater to see the entertainment most nights. Of the eleven evenings on the ship, they had something new on 9 of them, and we saw 8. We loved most of them. Excellent: Scottish Violinist, Welsh singer and comedienne, the ships own singers and dancers (esp "Once Upon a Dream" show). Very good: Comedian guy. Fair: Magician.

Loved "movies under the stars". Nothing like floating More along under a beautiful full moon, watching a movie on a giant screen, and the ship people come by offering (free) WARM cookies and milk. Unbelievable! They would also go around about 3:30 every afternoon with warm cookies and (cold) milk.

We had anytime dining. Between 5:30 and 6:30, walked right in every time. When we walked out ~7:15 - 8:00pm, the wait looked to be 5-7 minutes or less. Excellent food, and lots of choices every night. I went hunting for more food at about 10 pm :) and they have a theme buffet near the stern of the ship every night. One night was German night, WOW. The pizza is excellent, and the grill is great (fries, hamburgers, brats). The buffet is great. We never had trouble on this cruise finding a seat. Last year in the Baltic, it was much more crowded at times. I guess that is because on this cruise it was warm enough to go outside, so many did. We don't drink. The drink people come by a lot, but we just politely shake our head no, and they quickly move on. It didn't bother us at all. We bought a soda card, 12 days of all-you-want for $50. Not bad.

Our cabin was always clean. Steward was friendly, and we never ran into him in our cabin. He seemed to watch carefully for when you left, then swooped in to get it cleaned up before you came back.

Ports were great. My experience is that Princess almost always docks early, and leaves the port pretty much right on time. It seems like they will wait about one hour if someone isn't back on board yet. (you can tell, because they start calling for them, just in case they made it on board with out checking in (but also to politely publicly shame them into being on time next port :)))

We don't use the expensive stuff like the spa, so no comment there. We had a window cabin, and walked down one deck and sat on deck 7 outside every night in a deck chair. We joked that it was our balcony, we just had to share it with a few passers-by.

Overall, if you remember this is a ~$200/night cruise, and not a $600/night cruise (crystal, yachts of S, etc), I think it is nearly impossible to beat! Less

Read more Ruby Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Ruby Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Ruby Princess Oceanview Obstructed Emerald Deck E229

Perfect low-end cabin. One floor up from Princess Theater, two doors down from stairs and elevator. Good view out the window, as window was only ~20% obstructed. Very quiet.

Not my favorite port. Athens struck us as dirty. Acropolis was amazing. We are not shoppers, so we avoided Plaka. Ship docks right in the middle of Piraeus, so no shuttle is necessary. We took a taxi straight to Acropolis for 20 Euro, split it with another couple, so it was cheap. Took train back to the ship for 1Euro.

Loved Istanbul. Very clean, beautiful city. We visited on Sunday, so the infamous traffic was not an issue. Grand Bazaar was closed, but that didn't bother us at all. Blue Mosque was fantastic, as was Hagia Sofia. We walked through the underground cistern. We took a bargain Princess tour, and they took us to a carpet show at the end. It was interesting to see some beautiful carpets, and was NOT a pressure sales-job at all. We did not buy, but it thought it was interesting.

Read 260 Istanbul Reviews

Really enjoyed this stop (Ephesus). Clean, beautiful little port town. We took Princess tour in this port due to the time in port being very short. Excellent tour of ancient ruins, with very good guide. There are some downsides to ship tours, but the few I have taken have been excellent.

Read 362 Kusadasi Reviews

A dry, windy, barren rock. Princess runs a shuttle into the edge of town for free. We rented a 4-wheel ATV for a mere 25Euro for the day, and drove all around town and over to Panormous beach. The streets are so small, I would not have dared drive anything larger.

Read 378 Mykonos Reviews

(5.5)
Didn't step foot into Naples. Took a tour with a private company, Sorrento Silver Star. Had a fantastic day. Went to Pompeii, which to me is absolutely fantastic. I could have stayed there a couple more hours. Paid an extra 100 euro for a guide (25E per couple), worth every penny. We drove on to the Amalfi Coast and Positano. Beautiful cliff-side town. Our guide took us to a little restaurant high above the town with an absolutely unbelievable view. It was obviously a favorite of the guides, as other groups were there too, but that did not distract at all. The food was very traditional Italian, family style, so we did not have to worry about "did I order the right thing". Ten different anitpasta dishes, followed by 4 pasta dishes. It was one of the funnest things I have ever done! We got three other couples to go with us through the CC boards, and they were a blast as well. I HIGHLY recommend this tour, and this tour company was excellent. Our guide was Dominico, very fun, friendly guy. He was waiting for us when we walked off the ship right when it docked.

Read 647 Naples Reviews

Took private tour with Rome Connection. Marco Tavola. Best guide of all on the cruise. Very informative, and a lot of fun. We walked off the ship as soon as it docked, and he was already there, about 20 minutes early. We left immediately, and had a great day seeing all the sights. Marco basically said "here is what I have in mind to show you, do you want to change anything". We skipped lunch to see more stuff. We saw all the big stuff, and it was a blast.