Mariner of the Seas Cruise Review by Hockeybob: SPLENDOR CUSTOMER SERVICE SUPERIOR!!!

Hockeybob
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Mariner of the Seas Mexican Riviera Cruises

SPLENDOR CUSTOMER SERVICE SUPERIOR!!!

Sail Date: September 2010
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

Food Dining rating (1-10) overall an 8+ - lots of selection, steaks were well prepared and cooked to order! Very good service and attention to detail - our wait staff danced and sang for us - very talented!!! The buffets were quick and well set-up - my only complaints: No really HOT salsa, and the Mongolian used VERY sub-standard chicken pieces (you know the kind....... was that really gristly chicken or something else?) California Rolls 10+++ everything we had there was great and good quality fish, and rolls and wasabi.

Bar Service rating (1-10) overall 3- These guys/gals could not make a decent margarita.......... we are on a cruise to Mexico for crying out LOUD! Had a couple and had to move onto shots....... not sure what (if any) kind of tequila they used in their "rocks" margis. Two words... weak and tasteless! We finally found one lady that actually made a margi with some tequila in it - just couldn't find her often enough! My girl had the bloody marys and they were More good (tobasco and Worstershire) but never got a large enough piece of celery to stir it - the garnish and flavor are the biggest part of a good bloody mary........ in my humble opinion. We would have spent at least 200% more (each) if the bar was better.

Room Service rating (1-10) overall 10+++ Excellent / fast / food quality was great

General housekeeping rating (1-10) 9+ Very good - They cleaned and manicured our room 3 times daily - and we tipped extra...........these guys are amazing!!!

Shows, entertainment rating (1-10) 8 Good - we saw 4 comedians.... 2 of them were good, 1 great, 1 not too good. The larger production shows were good with laser effects, lots of good popular music (that's BIG coming from a DJ!) The live music on THE LIDO deck was good - the pre-recorded stuff they could have improved on..........many popular songs during the week were repeated - I just think you should have remixed stuff, and special versions of the popular stuff - maybe more dance stuff in the late afternoon / evening time slots - I know - DJs can be critical!

I have nothing else to compare this to since it was our first cruise.... i am surprised at the quality of the water on board the ship (I took some home to test) Straight out of the tap in our bathroom the water measured 50 PPM TDS (50 parts per million total dissolved solids) The national limit is 500 PPM - our tap water at home measures 250 - 275 PPM - VERY IMPRESSED!!! I read a few reviews where they thought the water on the ship had made them sick - while I can't comment on bacterial content, I can say with confidence that the TDS content is better than most bottled water that I have tested over the years! Less

Read more Mariner of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Mariner of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Mariner of the Seas Superior Oceanview Stateroom Deck 7 6339

Good sized stateroom with balcony - bed was comfortable, bathroom good sized (shower a little small) - It's a ship - you are not supposed to stay in your room all week!!! We had a large balcony attached to my brother-in-laws and we kept the dividing wall open all week. Thursday we had a little room party connected my ipod to the tv, and had shots and cigars out on the balcony. Smoked a couple CUBANS - hey we were in Mexico - it's legal there!!!

Coming back here for a week - skip the cruise next time....... 5 hours is not enough to enjoy this port. Great deals, very clean, food and margis were stellar! Of course another mis-communication on the bill compared to the "advertised specials". I think this may be normal for Mexico because they expect you to "make offers" on everything!!!

Good silver shopping in "Old Town". Shop in established stores NOT "street vendors". The Beaches - excellent! STAY AWAY FROM "GRINGO LINGO" - their food is basura (garbage) Never seen chicken fajitas served like this...........even the cheese enchilada sucked!!! Was that really chicken???

Read 292 Mazatlan Reviews

La Destileria!!! WOW - WOW - WOW!!! 10 +++ Food quality - MARGARITAS the best anywhere!!!! (Carnival bar employees take note!) You have to have one meal here when you visit. Partied at "THE ZOO"............ really cool until we got our bill - they had to make some adjustments!!!

Shopping in old town was good to great (we had 22 people who traveled as a group - that was their overall rating) I'm no a big shopper..........I did get a great deal on some 1921 Anejo (about 50% less than home without tax) Be careful with cigars........ there are lots of FAKES out there - way too easy to counterfeit cigar labels!!!

Don't let the area where the ship pulls up fool you (WAL-MART visible from the ship!) There are lots of cool things to do and see here!!