Grand Princess Cruise Review by ChipChip: Fun on the Grand Princess.

ChipChip
Member Since 2006

Compare Prices on Grand Princess Europe - British Isles & Western Cruises

Fun on the Grand Princess.

Sail Date: September 2010
Destination: Europe - British Isles & Western
Embarkation: Southampton

Will start with the ports that don't come up in the review boxes below. La Rochelle was a lovely place. We took the shuttle bus and had a good wander around the shopping areas. It was clean and interesting and easy to navigate, great for shopping. Lots nice eating places outside to enjoy sunshine and a beer or wine. The last port was to be Guernsey, unfortunately we were unable to get off at this tender port due to the strength of the current and the dangers that came with this,one of those things, perhaps next time.

Our first time on Princess and we were not disappointed. A Large ship with plenty of things to keep most people happy. I used to spa on the second day for a massage which was fantastic, the staff were professional and made you feel relaxed and comfortable. We prefer to do our own thing most of the time and with a balcony cabin there is no rush to find a sunbed. There seemed to be plenty of sunbeds if required but on sea days I understand they were a little hard to More come by. Loved the huge TV on the sun deck, great addition to any ship. The shops sold various clothes and necessities along with a range of alcohol and cigarettes which I bought to bring home for family. If you are a smoker its worth noting that if you buy from the on board shop you cannot take them with you, they are delivered on last day. (I think this is standard)I enjoy a glass of wine whilst getting ready for the evening and found it best to buy a couple of bottles ashore for this. The lifts on this ship have a mind of there own, a strange thing to comment on perhaps? Our cabin was around the middle of the ship and unusually the nearest lifts had no stairs next to them. It wasn't unusual to ask "been here long?" to people waiting for the lift. A really good idea to familiarise yourself with the layout for going up or down as you may find yourself asking, where are the stairs? I am still wondering if the man who was asleep standing up in the lift on the last night woke up where he wanted to be. The service was excellent, you ask, it gets done. Horizon court was more popular than I expected based on previous experience and sometimes it was difficult for the staff to keep up with the demand for fresh cutlery etc. We found getting a drink from the bar, finding a seat and where needed obtaining cutlery before choosing food worked for us. We prefer again to do our own thing for dinner and did not use the main dining rooms, we used to the steakhouse on two nights where the service and food, especially the steak were wonderful. Shore excursions I can't comment on as none appealed to us, we prefer activity based excursions such as horse riding, bear hunting or whale watching rather than history. Entertainment all great, catered for a variety of tastes. Skywalker was our favorite place for late night. Embarkation was well organised, less than an hour between getting out of the car and being in the bar. Ex UK cruises always beat fly cruises for us. Disembarkation, again fantastic organisation, we were ready that morning for the usual mass bundle type experience in the self service restaurant but the way in which getting off was organised seemed to stop this occurring. Basically, you receive detail of the time to meet in your documents the day before and go to the required place for the set time so no loud annoying announcements. Overall fabulous, why did it go so quick? Less

Read more Grand Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Grand Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Grand Princess Oceanview Double with Balcony Caribe Deck C503

Cabin was perfectly adequate had the usual facilities. Wardrobe had no doors, not unusual but I prefer doors. Great balcony, large had a table and 4 chairs 2 of which would lay back almost flat. I liked the way the balcony cabins are staggered and not all on top of each other, seemed to mean more sun reached the balcony than my previous experiences. Balcony a bit weathered but ship is getting old, not a problem for me.

Some interesting sites but not a port we would leave the ship for in future, that said everyone has different tastes. Shuttle bus was very well organised and city was worth a look if you haven't been. Most memorable sights were the amount of police on those funny two wheeled contaptions and homeless people. Funniest sight was watching a lady get out of the small tram she was driving, change the points with her bar and get back in again, we were amazed :-)

Read 281 Lisbon Reviews

(5)
Nice place to have a wander around. Didn't use a shore excursion as none suited. Had some worries about possible language difficulties having read up on Vigo but these turned out to be unfounded. Good weather.

Read 205 Vigo Reviews