Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by alexmay

Service Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sky Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sky Deck Plans
Pride of Aloha - Hawaii
I would agree with the last few reviews on how much everything has improved. In an effort to avoid repeating all the same things, and to save time since I am still jet-lagged, I will just review the shore excursions and ports.

Kauai - we walked over to the shopping area and the beach behind the hotel (Marriott, I think). it's a 10 minute walk at the absolute most. The beach was great and we rented a body board for $10 for the entire day. The second morning there, we took the tubing the ditch expedition. The road to the starting point is a very bumpy dirt road. The shore excursion description says "don't do this if you are pregnant or have back trouble" This is not because of the tubing, but because the ride there is about 45 minutes and rough for most of it. The tubing was great. The water was very cold, but the scenery was incredible. There were also plenty of shuttles to shopping here.

Hilo - Volcano National Park through NCL. I thought the tour was great, and our bus driver took us to a black sand beach at the end because she had a few extra minutes. It was well worth it.

Kona - King of Sports - Surfing lessons. I was traveling with 3 kids so this was perfect. Probably the highlight of the trip for them. The water was so clear and warm, I mostly just floated on the board. I am either too old or too bottom heavy for this sport (or maybe both), but the kids absolutely loved this day. However, it is much more difficult and strenuous than it looks so unless you are okay with just floating, rest up your arm muscles first.

Maui - We rented a car and just drove around the first day, and went to the Old Lahaina Luau Friday night. I have read many reports that the drive to Lahaina is easy and easy to find your way back to the ship. It was dark and rainy when we went and again, I was with 3 kids who are not the best navigators, so I had to pull off the road a couple of times to check a map. The road is very windy and with the rain, it was slick. We intended to drive back to Lahaina on Saturday for a beach, but I honestly didn't want to do the drive again so we just hung around the boat.

Honolulu Sunday - as previously reported, you can store bags for $5 for the day. We went up to the observation deck in the Aloha Tower and saw an incredible view. Then we shopped and went through the Bishop Museum. There is an audio tour for $4.50 that the kids actually enjoyed. You can then go through an old ship, and go through the gift shop. When we were ready to go back to the airport, there was someone right at our bags ready to get a cab for us. It was $18 for four of us to go from the Aloha Tower to the airport. Very relaxing end to our vacation.

Teen programs - There were only 12 teens on the ship when we were there. They had scavenger hunts, hung out at the teen center, showed movies, and all in all, had a very good time. There aren't non-stop programs offered for over 13 so they actually spent time with me before 7 p.m. which was very nice.

Publication Date: 11/18/04