Carnival Dream Cruise Review by SP9736

Cruise Date: August 2010
Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Cabin Category: 8E

Not a Dream Vacation
We booked are cruise on the Dream in March and we would occasionally read the reviews on cruise critic and would wonder why are all these people complaining about this ship. Now we understand why.

Embarkation: Enough has been said about that. Carnival has mastered this at Port Canaveral.

We sailed on the cruise with Hurricane Earl and the itinerary was changed. No fault of Carnivals and we applaud them for this. They could have announced this the morning of the cruise as there were many guest that did not want to go to the Western Caribbean and when Carnival finally did announce it it was to late as every one was already on board.

We were upgraded from deck 6 to 9 about 2 weeks before the sailing which we thought would be ok as we have always believed the higher you went on the ship it was better as the price for the room was higher. Everyone take note of this: If you are on Deck 9 and you are under the Lido Deck, you will get to sleep around 2:00 am and will be awakened around 5:00 am by the workers dragging the chairs on the deck. You would think that the powers to be at Carnival could teach them to pick them up and carry them to there locations.

A hot water pipe broke on board after a few days out of port and cabins were without hot water and sometimes water for a day and a half. Hard to believe a ship less that year old would have this problem,but it is a machine after all and things break. It was also nice that to make up for this mishap we got free drinks at happy hour 1 night.we especially appreciated this seeing how we both don't drink.( on board credit come to mind?)

Absolutely no enforcement of the rules on this ship. I guess we don't want to offend anyone by telling there kids to walk in the halls,telling the drunks to be quiet in the halls in the middle of the night (when you could sleep),wearing the proper attire to the dining rooms,etc

Why can you not have a iron in your room but please go ahead and smoke.I would like to see the statistics of how many fires and damage have been caused by irons versus cigarettes.( that was one rule they did enforce.)How about adding more ironing rooms to the ship. you have 3 ironing rooms for 4000 people!

We totally understand that the Hurricane did mess up this cruise, but just seems that there is no organization with this ship. The Mexican buffet was announced one night to start at 11:30 pm, they were people waiting for it and asking the crew where it was and then was told it was change to the following night, photo gallery didn't have half of the pictures they took and they had a few bugs to work out with there new face recognition program,Jewelery dept personnel( Only one person in particular) very rude and trying to sell jewelery that clearly wasn't what they were saying it was and then wanted to tell my wife she didn't understand jewelery.( If this girl only knew) The stage cannot be seen from the side seats as the front comes out further than the side and the TVs on the side are blocked from view on a lot of the chairs.The young peoples clubs are a constant area of trouble, but I guess if the parents can't control there kids they will let Carnival Security take care of it.Food was OK I guess if you like raw bacon and Caesars salads that taste like fish. I can go on but my fingers are getting tired of typing.

The Service was great, the dining room staff was great as was the food. The room stewards were fabulous. Every staff member we came in contact with was very friendly (Except the one in Jewelry) Waiting in the dining room to get off,there were other Platinum guest complaining about what I have described as well.Wake up Carnival. The platinum guest are your bread and butter and alot of them also agree with us. If you want to join in with the dumbing down of America be are guest. There are many other cruise lines that haven't and will not compromise there business model By the way where are the Surveys that now are E-mailed. We have received more offers to sail with you, my carnival rep E-mailed me to welcome me home,but I guess you forgot your surveys. Guess you skipped them on this sailing. Probably a wise choice

Publication Date: 10/04/10